LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

That was weird! I’m halfway up my ladder and I noticed two deer get up about 40 yards away. I continued to climb and I pull my gun up. Two more deer get up from their beds. All four of these deer are down wind of me.. I notice two more deer headed my way, all does and fawns. One doe saw me and she came right to my stand as the others fed. I felt like I was in a petting zoo. They all fed for an hour an a half and finally worked their way to a field. Almost no fear of me. Not sure what the deal is.

7 hours ago, silent death said:

Holey hell that's gonna suck getting him outta there ..is there anyway you can drag him down hill to a access point or is it all uphill

This is the view from where he dropped, one side had a 30 foot bank.  We hand hauled him up on a rope, couldn't get the quad close enough.  I was smiling the whole time though!  Slippery.  I'm going to remember this spot, it's a sneaky little saddle that was well used.

IMG_20201128_072926.jpg

IMG_20201128_072923.jpg

IMG_20201128_072919.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

Decoy is also installed and operational...

Have had a lot of success over the years with decoys ..

some fantastic deer laid down today,,, congrats ...

A2DBE6B1-DC65-4BCC-B1D2-E85BDC3871B9.jpeg

E326F848-B574-4102-B0EC-17E1BE2E94B8.jpeg

5C8372B9-4A6B-410B-B819-B5DE4963A16C.jpeg

That’s a beautiful gun you have there, I hope you get to use it on something!

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

A weird part of me just was wants to see another big buck roaming the woods even though my tag is filled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is my worst nightmare. I breath a sigh of relief, every time i finish a hunt where I don't see a bigger buck than the one I punched my tag on. In 39 years of deer hunting, it has not happened to me yet.  I would say that I am way overdue. 

If I can just get thru tomorrow, and next Saturday and Sunday, I can start fresh up in the northern zone for the late ML season.  I still have a buck tag for that, and an antlerless.

That is my worst nightmare. I breath a sigh of relief, every time i finish a hunt where I don't see a bigger buck than the one I punched my tag on. In 39 years of deer hunting, it has not happened to me yet.  I would say that I am way overdue. 
If I can just get thru tomorrow, and next Saturday and Sunday, I can start fresh up in the northern zone for the late ML season.  I still have a buck tag for that, and an antlerless.

That’s the weird part. That’s normally my feeling as well. I don’t want to see one. Today I would have been more than happy to see a giant roaming the woods.

Only saw one deer and for not even long enough to ID 100% doe or buck

5 hours ago, Catskills54 said:

Hunting a certain state park in 3m yesterday. Get in to a spot (1 car per spot) an hour before legal light, set up and patiently wait over some established trees bordering swamp. 7:20; a hunter in blaze is crashing through the woods, stops 50 yards from me and yells out "hey, you hunting?", Meanwhile I'm wearing my blaze vest and hat holding a shotgun. Face palm. He leaves noisily and that's that.

Hour later, I'm hearing movement, getting excited when I just can't hold back a sneeze. Let one go, and I'm thinking the spot is blown. Nope, guy with binos and no blaze (birdwatching? hiking?) yells out "bless you!" 30 yards behind me. Another face palm.

Upset, I decide to take off for lunch and feed my soul with some delicious leftovers. Decide to get back in there at another spot for afternoon hunt, same park.

Park at a spot, decide to walk on an established trail to a field. Not more than 10 min in I almost get run over by a mountain biker that clips the left side of my pack splashing muddy water over me. No warning, no "sorry" nothing. I'm obviously upset, but decide not to let this ruin my day. Set up off a nice field, pry off some ticks that are crawling and wait for some movement. An hour before legal sunset, I see some heavy set guy panting along a nearby trail going to the field I'm set up by. He stops and I kid you not, starting taking out pelican cases, and starts flying a DRONE... Meanwhile, he HAD to have seen me in all my blaze glory 50 yards away. 

I'm just done with this day and head to the parking lot and call the DEC ECO. Said park only allows hunters during regular season and not every yahoo crashing through the woods or running over hunters on mountain bikes.

Although I did meet an old timer local who asked me if I learned my lesson; "that's why you carry birdshot and fill your drone tag."

Thoughts? Was it too much to call the ECO to start giving out some fines?

Is it gonna change the hunting? Find new spot and make new plan. Dont get discouraged just keep looking for your place in the world and you will get them eventually. Just like boxing, stick and move.

1 hour ago, bigpaul said:

That was weird! I’m halfway up my ladder and I noticed two deer get up about 40 yards away. I continued to climb and I pull my gun up. Two more deer get up from their beds. All four of these deer are down wind of me.. I notice two more deer headed my way, all does and fawns. One doe saw me and she came right to my stand as the others fed. I felt like I was in a petting zoo. They all fed for an hour an a half and finally worked their way to a field. Almost no fear of me. Not sure what the deal is.

This is my world right now. I sat in my B stand for three hours this afternoon and nothing, though there are fresh trails and droppings everywhere. 

I walk back to my cabin, round the corner and there are three does 10 yards from my back deck. They glance at me and continue eating. 

Well tonight at last light shot my target buck I have been after all season. He went down on impact, then got up and went into the woods. He was in heavy golden rod brush when I shot . Tracked him into the woods, and stopped. Have good blood, but didn't want to push him into the neighbors.Gonna be a long night. 

My father and I are heading out at daylight in the am to get him.

• Like 21

1 minute ago, Just Lucky said:

Well tonight at last light shot my target buck I have been after all season. He went down on impact, then got up and went into the woods. He was in heavy golden rod brush when I shot . Tracked him into the woods, and stopped. Have good blood, but didn't want to push him into the neighbors.Gonna be a long night. 

Hope you get him!

• Like 1

Just now, Moho81 said:

That’s the weird part. That’s normally my feeling as well. I don’t want to see one. Today I would have been more than happy to see a giant roaming the woods.

Only saw one deer and for not even long enough to ID 100% doe or buck

I saw a big bodied deer on my walk out last night.  It was after legal shooting time and too dark to see if it had antlers. 

I have several stands in the area. I am going to pick the best one tomorrow, depending on wind, to try and get in shooting position before dark. I hope it is a big doe.  I have 4 dmp's, but no buck tag.

Tomorrow will be the best day of this long weekend for me to kill a deer, because it will be followed by a long stretch of near-perfect carcass hanging weather. Once the meat gets cold, I like to keep it cold for a week or so in my insulated garage, prior to processing.  It is best for that if the temp is below the mid 40's the whole time.

I can understand why you feel as you do now.  On the years where I have killed a big trophy, I never minded if a bigger one showed up later.  My issue this year is that my buck just barely made the cut.  It did make about 60 pounds of boneless meat though, so I have no regrets (yet).  I am not sure how I will feel next Sunday night however.

@Just Lucky it sounds like you hit him good if you found good blood.  Two years ago I shot a big eight point opening day afternoon and my son and I tracked him through the woods for about 100 yards and he went into some thick stuff. I decided to back off and come back and look for them in the morning.   It was a restless night and we hunted before looking for him that morning till about eight neither one of us could sit still so we finally went looking for him and found him about 50 yards from where we stopped the night before but just couldn’t see him.  I hope it turns out the same for you and you’re a little more than just lucky. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

Out of likes.best of luck in morning,sounds very promising.looking forward to pics!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Zippo today .

At least I’m to the point ,where I don’t expect to see any , so I’m over the shock ,and disappointment of not seeing any . Back at it in the morning where ,we had a nice buck OD , but daughter had “ technical difficulties . “

This is what that spot looked like in the summer.

1272E181-FC2A-4825-ABC2-DA5640D1EE29.jpeg

4485D50E-D10C-4073-83D2-54736A7CD773.jpeg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Zippo today .

At least I’m to the point ,where I don’t expect to see any , so I’m over the shock ,and disappointment of not seeing any . Back at it in the morning where ,we had a nice buck OD , but daughter had “ technical difficulties . “

This is what that spot looked like in the summer.

1272E181-FC2A-4825-ABC2-DA5640D1EE29.jpeg

4485D50E-D10C-4073-83D2-54736A7CD773.jpeg

Most people in my neighborhood are experiencing the same thing as you, myself included. I finally got lucky this morning. I can’t wait for late season, things usually “loosen” up around here. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

If you're area has a lot of coyotes, I'd be there around 10-11 tonight.

• Like 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic