LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Well I'm back home after our flights got delayed and we spent an extra 20 hours in Chicago. Going out for the first sit of gun season, cameras are hit and miss activity but I'm itching to go sit! Hopefully you guys left me a deer or two.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Wow what a day.  Ok deep breath and congrats to .....

@50calpeephole

@UpStateRedNeck

@SpacemanSpiff

@Bolt action

@Lomax

@ATbuckhunter

@The_Real_TCIII

@MPHunter

@BigVal

And to @Just Lucky when he finds his buck in the morn! 

Hell of day and congrats on the bucks, does and yotes!  

Add in @Bowshotmuzzleloader

Congrats!  Epic day

I started hunting at 2:30, when the coywolves began howling and yipping out back.  I added a fresh deer carcass to my butcher waste pile a couple days ago, and they must have found it.  Not quite enough moonlight to make out a target with the cheap Simmons scope on my 10/22 however.  Man, I wish we had some snow.  

I will switch over to my Marlin 512 and Redfeld scope at sunrise, in case an antletless deer steps out of the standing corn for a taste of turnip greens.  It is not quite cold enough to stimulate that action though. 

I certainly won't waste one of those $5 sabots on a coyote. A .22 rimfire hornet is plenty enough for those thin-skinned dogs. 

• Like 1

Out here since 6 with little Squirrel. Nice morning. 33 degrees and no wind. This hunt is all about him. Hoping he can knock down his first bow deer. I have my bow with me, just in case. Don’t plan on picking it up tho. Good luck to everyone out this morning, especially the little ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Fun start . Let the dog out , he peed came  back in followed me upstairs and crapped on the carpet . I went to get a bag and spray cleaner , he stepped in it and tracked it down every step and the hallway .

That set me back 20 minutes , after hitting the snooze one to many times to start with .

yet here I am 

71FA7A8E-AC58-46EE-AB84-FDC75559341F.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Fun start . Let the dog out , he peed came  back in followed me upstairs and crapped on the carpet . I went to get a bag and spray cleaner , he stepped in it and tracked it down every step and the hallway .

That set me back 20 minutes , after hitting the snooze one to many times to start with .

yet here I am 

71FA7A8E-AC58-46EE-AB84-FDC75559341F.jpeg

Those are the days you shoot one.   I was texting Culver shortly before I killed my gun buck that the day started as a crap show.   I forgot my pack, my tags and sling so it was guaranteed I would kill a buck.  You are on your way buddy.   Lol

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Beautiful morning, but it’s dead out there! I haven’t even seen a squirrel! Heard some duck hunters blasting away at daylight about a mile away, but that’s all the shooting I’ve heard so far...

All the bucks were killed yesterday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lomax said:

Might end up being 11 waiting with fingers crossed for Justlucky 

What if it died after midnight? I have never done it, but what day would you guys put on your tag if you found it dead the next day ?  There are so many coyotes in my area, that I would never consider waiting until the next morning.  That's what flashlights and lanterns are for.

• Like 2

What if it died after midnight? I have never done it, but what day would you guys put on your tag if you found it dead the next day ?  There are so many coyotes in my area, that I would never consider waiting until the next morning.  That's what flashlights and lanterns are for.

One step further, what if it’s bow shot on the last day of bow and then finished the next day.

Pulling for you guys out there today who are battling that full moon on top of everything else.

Frustration. Not sure what went wrong but had a very nice ten point chasing two doe down the hill towards me. They stopped at forty yards and I somehow managed to miss. Five minutes after I shot two shots from the direction that he ran off in. Hopefully my bad luck turned out to be someone else’s good luck. Very frustrating though. 

• Like 1

Wolc perhaps he died after midnight perhaps he died before midnight we will never know I hope just lucky gets em either way.   
I have searched for wounded/dead deer at night and found some and lost some I have also waited overnight and found some and did not find some  I guess I’m just lucky to because in all of my cases where I waited and recovered the deer the coyotes had not got to it yet   Typically you’re talking about 14 to say 17 hours or so window is short The other thing was he did not want to push the deer to the neighbors so guessing it might’ve been close to a property line   I’ve always kind of found these our case by case scenarios you never know until you encounter it and sometimes it’s good to push and sometimes it’s good to wait we will have to see if he is just lucky

3 minutes ago, Lomax said:

Wolc perhaps he died after midnight perhaps he died before midnight we will never know I hope just lucky gets em either way.   
I have searched for wounded/dead deer at night and found some and lost some I have also waited overnight and found some and did not find some  I guess I’m just lucky to because in all of my cases where I waited and recovered the deer the coyotes had not got to it yet   Typically you’re talking about 14 to say 17 hours or so window is short The other thing was he did not want to push the deer to the neighbors so guessing it might’ve been close to a property line   I’ve always kind of found these our case by case scenarios you never know until you encounter it and sometimes it’s good to push and sometimes it’s good to wait we will have to see if he is just lucky

I will pray that he finds it.  It sounds kind of like a high back hit, since the deer went down at the shot, then got up a few minutes later and ran off.  

A few years ago, a buddy had that happen at my place.  I heard a shot, then he texted me that he had one down.  I sure wish he had used his trigger finger on something other than his cell phone.  That deer got up and ran away.

It bled good for a while, then petered out, and we never found it.  We looked for it for a few hours that day, and I went out again at night with "blood glow".  I used my whole supply of that, advancing the trail a couple hundred yards, but it was getting very sparse near the end.

Now I just try to keep on good terms with The Man upstairs, for help in recovering deer.  They all end up exactly where He wants them to go. If that turns out to be "deer heaven" (my family's food supply), I know that I am doing ok. We have been eating good for many years.

• Like 2

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic