LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Wolc I saw that Leuopold came out with a monocular scope that can pick up heat signatures very sensitive I guess and can do it over long distances I saw some TV hunters use it and it looked like it worked pretty well but it’s 400 bucks perhaps it could lead to quicker recovery?
but following a blood trail is a lot cheaper as is calling a dog tracking service but I guess once they get over on the neighbors and neighbors who won’t let you recover deer none of this matters.  

1 hour ago, Lomax said:

Wolc I saw that Leuopold came out with a monocular scope that can pick up heat signatures very sensitive I guess and can do it over long distances I saw some TV hunters use it and it looked like it worked pretty well but it’s 400 bucks perhaps it could lead to quicker recovery?
but following a blood trail is a lot cheaper as is calling a dog tracking service but I guess once they get over on the neighbors and neighbors who won’t let you recover deer none of this matters.  

I have the seek version , instead of a monocular its handheld like a cell phone . I researched handheld thermal cameras for a couple months before deciding on which one to get. Leupold has two versions ,standard and HD. I havent used it for a deer retrieval yet , i have used it to look for deer in the field once it gets dark .

• Like 1

Sounds pretty cool JeremyK I am sure you’re gonna get to use it soon to recover your deer.  Please let me know how it goes it looked pretty straight forward on TV perhaps cost will come down in time but it’s pretty cool technology and seemed to work well in thick stuff fields hillsides etc

1 minute ago, Unit8R said:

Getting gear ready for retro day... early 60s Sears 16GA armed with Sluggers. Shoots consistently six inches right at 25 yards so will apply Kentucky Windage should I get the chance.

retro.thumb.jpg.d5bd1adc4d8968cd3b47c4bc51e607a6.jpg

That looks like a good idea. I am going to pull out the old Woolrch Buffalo plaids, that my wife got me at an antique shop, for the afternoon hunt.  The pants fit ok, but the jacket was too tight.  I cut off the sleeves and made a vest out of it.  It looks like it is going to be plenty warm enough for that this afternoon.

I am going to grab some lunch, power wash my 6-point from opening day into a euro, then head out looking like Elmer Fudd, for the evening sit.  The only thing that won't match is my blaze-orange hat for the walk, or my Realtree-camo one while I am in the stand.  Hopefully that waskally doe or button buck shows up.  I would settle for Wiley coyote.

1 hour ago, Lomax said:

Sounds pretty cool JeremyK I am sure you’re gonna get to use it soon to recover your deer.  Please let me know how it goes it looked pretty straight forward on TV perhaps cost will come down in time but it’s pretty cool technology and seemed to work well in thick stuff fields hillsides etc

I pray i never have to use it LOL

Nothing again.  Sat until 10 still hunted my way back to the truck.  All I came across was a gut pile.  Thought I had one running at me. Turned out to be 2 red squirrels chasing a grey.  At one point I had them lined up and thought what the hell atleast I can say I shot at something. Lol

That's it for me until the last weekend of gun and ml weekend as long as work doesn't have me there those weekends.

Congrats to all the deer taken the last couple days 

Edited by Swamp_bucks

Guys always wanted to take the dept.s spare / back up thermal imaging cameras during hunting season . That of course was not allowed , we might need them to find people trapped in burning buildings , plus ours ran about 12k .

25 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Guys always wanted to take the dept.s spare / back up thermal imaging cameras during hunting season . That of course was not allowed , we might need them to find people trapped in burning buildings , plus ours ran about 12k .

It's wild how sensitive they are ,if someone walks through my house i can see where they walked . 

13 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

It's wild how sensitive they are ,if someone walks through my house i can see where they walked . 

Ya, if you touch a wall with your hand ,I can come in after and see the hand print . It’s interesting that these cheaper ones guys are that sensitive , I’m surprised really .

I sat it out today, no sightings in the last few sits so I decided to get some work done around the house before I'm back at work tomorrow. I did pull my last two cameras and am happy to see they are still using the same trails, just the wrong time of day. Next time out will be Friday.

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 1.34.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 1.34.47 PM.png

• Like 9

My lunch break was busy again today. I went to church with my daughter, ate a quick meal, finished my euro, then washed her car and my suv.

I was ready for a little relaxation this afternoon, so I got all Elmer fudded up and headed for my most comfortable stand, made from an old 8 ft, full sized truck cap.

Our venison supply is in ok shape, but I think this spot gives me the best chance at a coyote.  I missed getting a shot at one a couple winters ago, when I neglected to open the front window.  I am all set with that now, and it is wide open. I could not jimmy open the child proof latch with my leatherman tool from the inside, but I went out and released it.

They lightly hit my bait pile last night, and this is the area where I heard most of the yipping during the night  It is also the only stand that I could get to with a south wind, without tipping them off in the sanctuary/cover areas where I think they, and/or deer may be hiding now.

20201129_135446.jpg

20201129_135421.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Ya, if you touch a wall with your hand ,I can come in after and see the hand print . It’s interesting that these cheaper ones guys are that sensitive , I’m surprised really .

I bought mine from an equipment sales place ,they had the more expensive one "pro" version marked the same as the cheaper one so I jumped on it . 

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic