LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

On 11/28/2020 at 12:14 PM, Catskills54 said:

Hunting a certain state park in 3m yesterday. Get in to a spot (1 car per spot) an hour before legal light, set up and patiently wait over some established trees bordering swamp. 7:20; a hunter in blaze is crashing through the woods, stops 50 yards from me and yells out "hey, you hunting?", Meanwhile I'm wearing my blaze vest and hat holding a shotgun. Face palm. He leaves noisily and that's that.

Hour later, I'm hearing movement, getting excited when I just can't hold back a sneeze. Let one go, and I'm thinking the spot is blown. Nope, guy with binos and no blaze (birdwatching? hiking?) yells out "bless you!" 30 yards behind me. Another face palm.

Upset, I decide to take off for lunch and feed my soul with some delicious leftovers. Decide to get back in there at another spot for afternoon hunt, same park.

Park at a spot, decide to walk on an established trail to a field. Not more than 10 min in I almost get run over by a mountain biker that clips the left side of my pack splashing muddy water over me. No warning, no "sorry" nothing. I'm obviously upset, but decide not to let this ruin my day. Set up off a nice field, pry off some ticks that are crawling and wait for some movement. An hour before legal sunset, I see some heavy set guy panting along a nearby trail going to the field I'm set up by. He stops and I kid you not, starting taking out pelican cases, and starts flying a DRONE... Meanwhile, he HAD to have seen me in all my blaze glory 50 yards away. 

I'm just done with this day and head to the parking lot and call the DEC ECO. Said park only allows hunters during regular season and not every yahoo crashing through the woods or running over hunters on mountain bikes.

Although I did meet an old timer local who asked me if I learned my lesson; "that's why you carry birdshot and fill your drone tag."

Thoughts? Was it too much to call the ECO to start giving out some fines?

Nope I have done it . As soon as they pass  me I put the call in

• Like 2

Back at it trying to bounce back from an awful miss on a really nice buck this morning. This breeze has been consistently coming out of the South for 4 days here and I don’t have many stands set up for that wind. Hope I’m not over hunting these two. 

I just was not feeling it in the enclosed box blind that I was in.  The wind shifted a bit from the east, so I moved to the open-top center blind where I had originally planned to sit tonight. This spot offers the best shooting position at the location where I saw a big-bodied deer on my walk out two nights ago. 

I hope it is a doe and I hope she comes out before 4:41 tonight.  It would be a shame to not take advantage of such good carcass hanging temperatures as are predicted over the next few days.  Come on big momma, just 63 minutes to go.

Edited by wolc123

2 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

Neighbor says he shot him this morning.  Blood trail went to his property.  I don't know, blood was heavy from last night, and unlikely to live through the night

Pics of blood in the woods

20201129_091514.jpg

20201129_091518.jpg

That blood doesn't say much......

Neighbor says he shot him this morning.  Blood trail went to his property.  I don't know, blood was heavy from last night, and unlikely to live through the night
20201129_091514.thumb.jpg.a4416f531a1833128e0c3de64ad384ff.jpg
20201129_091518.thumb.jpg.fdfd2684eb7189c33c48b5d84d9cc4cd.jpg
Neighbor show you what he shot? Is it the same deer?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

20201129_091514.jpg

20201129_091518.jpg

That really sucks but not much you can do when it enters another property.  If he shot it or not he could still deny you access which in turn he can still keep it.  Don't beat yourself over it, even if you did trail it last night you would have still needed permission form the neighbor to retrieve.

• Like 1

@Just Lucky I didn't want to put a damper on your spirits or give you bad juju last night but anytime I've heard that a deer falls instantly, flops around then gets up and runs off it generally doesn't end well unfortunately. Happened last week to my buddy actually, shot, deer fell and was flipping his neck up in the air, before you know it he was on his feet and gone, followed ok blood for 200 yds then nothing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NYBowhunter said:

That really sucks but not much you can do when it enters another property.  If he shot it or not he could still deny you access which in turn he can still keep it.  Don't beat yourself over it, even if you did trail it last night you would have still needed permission form the neighbor to retrieve.

Yes I know, right now I do have permission so didnt argue, just let it be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

Neighbor show you what he shot? Is it the same deer?

Yes, same deer. Tracked to gut pile. When I found the pile I went back down the hill.

Went to his house and he said he got him this morning,  kinda bummed, especially since never heard shot.

Deer was maybe 300 yards from where I shot him.

I had called him last night to let him know I was gonna be heading toward his property to find the deer in the morning and where I was coming from so there wouldn't be an issue. We have a mutual agreement if you shoot something we can retrieve,  just call first.

2 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

Yes, same deer. Tracked to gut pile. When I found the pile I went back down the hill.

Went to his house and he said he got him this morning,  kinda bummed, especially since never heard shot.

I had called him last night to let him know I was gonna be heading toward his property to find the deer in the morning and where I was coming from so there wouldn't be an issue. We have a mutual agreement if you shoot something we can retrieve,  just call first.

Next time call immediately before tracking on his land.  That would have prevented your concern here.  I hope you are wrong as that is pretty bad to steal your neighbors buck.   

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

Did you check the holes in the buck?   Was he at least shot twice?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

Well unfortunately, now you know how to handle things with the  adjacent owner. Not going to call him a neighbor because a neighbor wouldn’t have done that. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

@Just Lucky I didn't want to put a damper on your spirits or give you bad juju last night but anytime I've heard that a deer falls instantly, flops around then gets up and runs off it generally doesn't end well unfortunately. Happened last week to my buddy actually, shot, deer fell and was flipping his neck up in the air, before you know it he was on his feet and gone, followed ok blood for 200 yds then nothing.

The key, in that situation, is to get another bullet into the deer asap.  That is one of the reasons why I think the folks who hunt with a ML in the regular season are nuts.  It makes sense to keep your gun pointed at a downed deer for a few minutes, from your stand, if you can.

Too many folks and also afraid of ruining meat or wasting ammo. Either of those is infinitely better than a lost deer.

During bow season, it makes sense to give a deer time before going after it, but it never does with a gun.  If the deer is on its feet and I can't land follow up shots from my stand, I am in hot pursuit on the ground.  My gun don't get put down until I stick the loaded muzzle into the downed deer open eye and it does not flinch.

I wonder how many deer escape the shooter's freezer each season, thanks to folks texting "BBD", or some other nonsense with their trigger finger. i know of at least one that did.

Cases where wounded deer run off onto belligerant neighbors land are thankfully something I have never had to deal with.  I feel sorry for folks who are in that situation, and even sorrier for those who subject others to it.  They will get what's coming to them some day and it won't be pleasant.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Next time call immediately before tracking on his land.  That would have prevented your concern here.  I hope you are wrong as that is pretty bad to steal your neighbors buck.   

I wouldn't call again. Buck make decent people do stupid things. Oh well lesson learned.  There is still a bigger buck running around, but I had this one patterned prior to heavy rut but knew I had to wait for gun to get him because of his pattern. During rut he left chasing does.  I waited till Thanksgiving to go after him figuring the shooting would bring him back to his core area. I seen him thanksgiving evening but had no shot with a shotgun.

Yesterday evening I got closer and sat in the brush waiting and he showed but oh well, guess I will try for another

Sorry I don't have a good picture of him, just off one of my cameras I have out to catch people trespassing 

1606689546014357437285108750966.jpg

• Like 4

I used to hunt this old timers property in the southern tier and rule #1 was at anytime a yote ran past you....there better be a shot taken....#2 was keep the gun on the deer and even if it flintches put another round in it.....the hills on that property were to steep to let a deer run for cover towards the river!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hunted hard since OD, with Turkey day off , today I saw two run into woods and away from me , after which I heard a load snap of a branch from where they started to run .

So now my deer sightings are up to 4 . Or what should be an average morning sit lol .

Hunted hard since OD, with Turkey day off , today I saw two run into woods and away from me , after which I heard a load snap of a branch from where they started to run .

So now my deer sightings are up to 4 . Or what should be an average morning sit lol .

Larry, ya' still got me beat!! I've yet to see a friggin' deer since gun season opened!! Starting to think it's not just us, as I've heard very little shooting in the area! Don't think I've heard a shot within 1/2 mile or so! A wise man once told me, "Sometimes you just need to ask, WTF?"

That’s terrible. To Moog’s point, if he legit shot him you would think he would show you the bullet holes and what happened. To keep a deer someone else shot is just pathetic and sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Larry, ya' still got me beat!! I've yet to see a friggin' deer since gun season opened!! Starting to think it's not just us, as I've heard very little shooting in the area! Don't think I've heard a shot within 1/2 mile or so! A wise man once told me, "Sometime you just need to ask, WTF?"

Yikes ! Ya bow was weird with far far fewer sightings , gun is absolutely a ghost town . I’ve hunted this  ground 32 bow seasons and 34 gun seasons , this one is like no other .

Same here no buddy out much ,few shots . Good luck 

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic