LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Something I thought was interesting from my brothers buck today. 4 yrs ago I shot my main frame 10 with a sticker for 11pts, anyways mine had what I call a colic, hair stood up behind his neck. His buck does as well, could it be a relative?? Who knows but cool none the less!!

2855C7D7-0693-4328-8A0D-E5ACC7700111.jpeg

• Like 5

Haven’t checked in all weekend, was at pa camp. NON STOP rut action for all the guys. Mostly small bucks, one got a nice 8, other missed one. Small bucks were pushing does grunting and everything. Deer count between 3 hunters was well over 50 in two days. 
meat processor had a PILE of bucks today, said this was nothing compared to sat.

Edited by Hock3y24

6 minutes ago, Whereareyoubuck said:

Well after chasing a big 10-pointer all season without any success, today I went kayaking nearby and found this other 10-pointer dead in the water. Looks like he recently died, I don’t think he was shot because all his organs are intact. Well good to know he lived a long life and passed on his genes. 

AC8F0AE2-4608-4DF4-8559-966F2BD2C278.jpeg

Man too bad.  Is this an EHD area?

Yikes ! Ya bow was weird with far far fewer sightings , gun is absolutely a ghost town . I’ve hunted this  ground 32 bow seasons and 34 gun seasons , this one is like no other .
Same here no buddy out much ,few shots . Good luck 

I’m not too far from you and it’s the same round here, if it’s of any comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Yea that boy has been dead perhaps months. I found one this May submerged in a creek, all that was above was one side of the rack. It looked pretty similar to this and I imagine smelled just as awful.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I was thinking just a few days because all the intestines are still intact. Every time I’ve gutted a deer, the intestines are gone the next day. 

I was thinking just a few days because all the intestines are still intact. Every time I’ve gutted a deer, the intestines are gone the next day. 
You have to remember that in the water there aren't the scavengers there are on land, they can't dry out etc. Breakdown is much quicker when it is exposed to air. Same with a fish even, put a fish on land and it's rotted in days and gone in a few more. Put that fish in the water and it'll last weeks. I'm no biologist or scientist but I do know it takes a lot longer to break down in water. My .02 says that deer has been in the water for at least a month from my experience, for what it's worth... it's too bad either way though.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hey Everyone,

I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post, it seems like a great forum with lots of insights into New York's hunting opportunities.  I hunt in 3M near Chester which is a mix of mostly smaller woodland tracts strung together by rural/farm communities, in short I have limited land to hunt on but there are animals around if you are willing to put the time in, it seems.  2018 and 2019 were my first years, with does harvested in both, but no bucks until now.  I have learned a lot in a few years (had no idea how important scent management was until last year) but thankfully things are getting improving with each season.  This year I passed on does to try to get a buck, but I really hadn't seen many in person until today.  At last light I took this one, a little light on antlers but full bodied.  I actually thought he was a doe at first but after the shot I realized I filled my buck tag :) (pics of the landscape and harvest attached)

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

You need to check out the agreement you signed when joining here........Section 126, paragraph 3: "We no longer charge by the written word for new members" 

Welcome Alex!

Thanks! I’ve learned a lot lurking, I’m glad to see other more experienced guys have plenty of nature sits too (no deer at all!), it’s definitely nice to have a warmer season where you aren’t freezing to death for 20 days straight!

8 minutes ago, 3MAlex said:

Thanks! I’ve learned a lot lurking, I’m glad to see other more experienced guys have plenty of nature sits too (no deer at all!), it’s definitely nice to have a warmer season where you aren’t freezing to death for 20 days straight!

Not exactly. I’d much rather have it cold deer don't move much when its so warm. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Not exactly. I’d much rather have it cold deer don't move much when its so warm. 

I have noticed that, in fact this whole season i’ve been busted by bedded does almost every time walking to my ground blind, and I mean the whole 9 yards with that disheartening wheezing sound that you know every deer within half a mile heard.

Edited by 3MAlex

13 minutes ago, 3MAlex said:

I have noticed that, in fact this whole season i’ve been busted by bedded does almost every time walking to my ground blind, and I mean the whole 9 yards with that disheartening wheezing sound that you know every deer within half a mile heard.

That blowing doesn't mean its over. Some deer are just wired tightly. I had a deer blow for over 10 minutes about 130 yds from me,maybe it smelled me,maybe not. There were a lot of deer filtering onto the oaks flat. More deer kept moving through even while and after the nervous nelly quieted down. This was bow season,and i shot my buck after that whole affair.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

That blowing doesn't mean its over. Some deer are just wired tightly. I had a deer blow for over 10 minutes about 130 yds from me,maybe it smelled me,maybe not. There were a lot of deer filtering onto the oaks flat. More deer kept moving through even while and after the nervous nelly quieted down. This was bow season,and i shot my buck after that whole affair.

You should name that doe Karen.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic