LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

We hunt in 4C. Opening weekend my father and I saw 8 different bucks (3 shooters). All were chasing or searching. We also saw a number of doe. This weekend we each sat dark to noon Saturday and Sunday and saw zero deer. I think we caught tail end of rut opening weekend and it is done. Deer are hunkering down. I can't remember the last time we had back to back sits at any time during gun and saw zero deer.

Good luck all. Haven’t been in the deer woods since Tuesday evening last week. Wife had some pretty serious hip surgery so I’ve been mom, dad and nurse for a while. She’s doing well and I’m partially glad I had to take a break.

I’ve seen the deer woods open up after the first week and when much of the orange army goes home. Could definitely use another deer for the freezer, if not 2 for some sausage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

6K hunter here.. I am working today and tomorrow and got the honey pass to head out Wednesday.. it is looking pretty good with a few inches of snow hitting the ground the night before.. looking for anything with horns to make it number 3 in the freezer

I am a public land hunter with no treestand/saddle so I am relegated to the ground... what would you guys suggest as a strategy... i am hunting some state forest that has some pretty good elevation changes... should I go find a ridge and sit tight downwind and hope the second rut will kick in (judging by your posts the past week it looks like the first rut is officially done) or try and be super aggressive and try and walk up on an unsuspecting buck and hope to get a shot off before I spook them

6 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I am sorry that your birthday fell on the morning of a full moon?!??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, ya I hate full moons. 

I had two different bucks during yesterday's afternoon hunt 70yrds out.  Both 4pt.  Was really hoping one would have showed this morning. 

Not looking likely for the afternoon hunt. Heavy rain.

Always next year. Maybe my 44th season will be different.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ridgerunner88 said:

6K hunter here.. I am working today and tomorrow and got the honey pass to head out Wednesday.. it is looking pretty good with a few inches of snow hitting the ground the night before.. looking for anything with horns to make it number 3 in the freezer

I am a public land hunter with no treestand/saddle so I am relegated to the ground... what would you guys suggest as a strategy... i am hunting some state forest that has some pretty good elevation changes... should I go find a ridge and sit tight downwind and hope the second rut will kick in (judging by your posts the past week it looks like the first rut is officially done) or try and be super aggressive and try and walk up on an unsuspecting buck and hope to get a shot off before I spook them

How bout a slow still hunt.  Just glass and work it slow.  Ground should be quiet with all the rain.

4 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

How bout a slow still hunt.  Just glass and work it slow.  Ground should be quiet with all the rain.

Yeah that does sound like a good idea... 

here is are my initial thoughts and I may be overthinking things but hey this is a chance to get some feedback from a veteran...

the wind is suppose to be blowing to the NE.. the ridge I was eyeing would mean me parking to the south of it and walking in (about 1.5 miles) and setting up... about mid/late morning I would start making my way back to the car by walking directly west from where I am sitting to check out a potential bedding areas (based on satellite images) and then heading back to the car... the afternoon I would drive to another to park that will be about 1 mile from a spot my brother mentioned showed lots of sign and is located near a field that is privately owned.. potentially setup between it and catch one going out to eat in the later afternoon

14 hours ago, chrisw said:

You have to remember that in the water there aren't the scavengers there are on land, they can't dry out etc. Breakdown is much quicker when it is exposed to air. Same with a fish even, put a fish on land and it's rotted in days and gone in a few more. Put that fish in the water and it'll last weeks. I'm no biologist or scientist but I do know it takes a lot longer to break down in water. My .02 says that deer has been in the water for at least a month from my experience, for what it's worth... it's too bad either way though.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

even the water scavengers are mostly dormant now, that thing could look like that for a long time in ice cold freshwater

• Like 1

Just finished this up for my son, gonna be hard to hide it for the next month lol we cut this tree down in out back yard this spring, I used the chainsaw and cut some rounds, treated them, sanded for days, poly coated them, and finished it. Was a lot of work! 

AF0224E6-9BA4-4A6D-8E5B-EA2E3122D5CE.jpeg

• Like 48

33 minutes ago, ridgerunner88 said:

Get a good vantage point and sit tight, ideally above/downwind of some thick cover

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ridgerunner88 said:

Yeah that does sound like a good idea... 

here is are my initial thoughts and I may be overthinking things but hey this is a chance to get some feedback from a veteran...

the wind is suppose to be blowing to the NE.. the ridge I was eyeing would mean me parking to the south of it and walking in (about 1.5 miles) and setting up... about mid/late morning I would start making my way back to the car by walking directly west from where I am sitting to check out a potential bedding areas (based on satellite images) and then heading back to the car... the afternoon I would drive to another to park that will be about 1 mile from a spot my brother mentioned showed lots of sign and is located near a field that is privately owned.. potentially setup between it and catch one going out to eat in the later afternoon

Sounds like a great plan. Hope the deer cooperate .  Keep the wind in your face or a crosswind, watch any saddles hard and use ridges to hide your outline as best you can. Hope you drop one 

• Like 1

Been awhile since I checked in to this thread. My quest to shoot a certain mature buck has not worked out yet. No shots taken. I have seen deer most every sit though. And passed a couple two year old bucks, that I may, or may not regret shooting?....lol 

It has so far been a challenge, but I am enjoying the zig and zag games we are playing, and the all or nothing, of hunting a particular deer or two for the first time ever. As I get older, I have been wanting to do this. Sooo, we have two very nice mature bucks on the property. And decided this is the year. They are winning so far. But I'm cool with that.

Still have a couple weekends to hunt. Perhaps I'll get lucky? Perhaps I'll lower my standards? Perhaps I'll stick to my standards, and end up with a tag in my pocket for the first time in many years? Who knows? But I am enjoying the season and the chase so far!

I may even try to go back into the Pine Bush with my bow, to see if I can get redemption on that buck, that I had a close encounter with a few weeks ago?

It's all good! I'm living my motto of "Shoot what you like. Like what you shoot".

Congratulations to all of you who have gotten deer down! Every one of em is a trophy!!!

• Like 21

Well after chasing a big 10-pointer all season without any success, today I went kayaking nearby and found this other 10-pointer dead in the water. Looks like he recently died, I don’t think he was shot because all his organs are intact. Well good to know he lived a long life and passed on his genes. 
AC8F0AE2-4608-4DF4-8559-966F2BD2C278.thumb.jpeg.9ccc75c0cf662180a84c41aca9f58ac3.jpeg
Keep his head

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1

Is the proper way to say it "YO-TEE" or "Yo-Ta" like Moat? All joking aside they are beautiful creatures despite their negative impacts 
I'd say like yoat like moat. Even though I call them cayotees spelled coyote. Actually I call them both ways coyoate and coyotee

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic