LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

So I’m out in my stand above my house, first time in woods since second day of gun. My boys and I were very fortunate this year and shot 3 nice bucks during archery. Other than a yote which I would shoot, I was wondering what kind of buck would make me pull the trigger today. Don C gave me my template. Beauty buck! Good luck to all who are out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Good post Hunterdan 44-that buck of Don C's will be the goal. I am heading for Pa tomorrow with a buck tag and a doe tag-and still have a NY doe tag-but have already put 5 in the freezer (not hard between PA DMAP tags, archery, crossbow, rifle, etc.). Not sure of my intentions-not sure if I'll shoot a doe if I see one-but something close to that buck will make it 6 in the freezer!!

• Like 1

Tomorrow morning I'm going to try something different. Where I'm set up currently there is a big ridge, and I'd like to cover the top of the ridge, as well as the wet valley below. I tried to find a tree to climb on the edge of the ridge, but I just couldn't find anything that allowed for shots in both directions. So, I ended up putting the upper part of my climber on a tree and am going to hunt from the ground (sans blind). I did try to brush it in a little bit, but with all of the leaves off, I feel pretty exposed. It's been a long time since I have hunted from the ground, but I guess I'm hoping for a blind buck that is dumb enough to come through after me trouncing around this morning. I did find a fresh scrape on a trail along said ridge, so that's a little promising. 

I kept going back and forth about staying in my tree from this morning or trying it from the ground. I figure the worst that can happen is I don't see anything, which honestly, I have gotten fairly used to...

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 1

Some watershed land near farmers mill rd.  I passed lockwood on the way back and seen some cars there.  He have any luck?  

He hasn’t killed any bucks this year but has seen some good ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

That's a cool looking woods landscape with the rock outcroppings and boulders strewn around.

The layout is great.  I scouted pre season and the spot sits on top of a bluff that gives 180 view. Ive taken deer out of this property years ago.   Unfortunately due to covid this is the first time I’ve hunted it this year.  Next time I’m there I got to take a pic of these rocks i saw.  It was about 6 smaller rocks on top of a boulder.   Possibly done by humans but if not it was pretty cool to see.  

Was out for the last 1 1/2 tucked into a cut corn field. Ended up seeing 2 doe in the middle part of the field after taking a short walk up from the dip our permanent shack sits at the bottom of.
Also had one doe blow out of the standing corn on the neighbors property.
After getting back to the shack I decided to talk a quick walk behind it since it looked like I would have a shot at the gas line if I cleaned a lane through the scrub brush. I walked down the hill finding a real nice deer trail and low and behold when I looked down I found my first ever Shed Antler.....old and all chewed up but still pretty cool. I let my son go and get it and now he wants to shed hunt this spring.
93436c9d0ce89d128a98e941deb408cd.jpg3835338e0e1c298c3bd38daac25985de.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 10

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic