LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Hunting with my grandson this morning. The creek we need to cross to get to where we wanted to go today, was running high. Somehow we got across in the dim light without getting our feet too wet. Ice pellets and wet snow is falling. We are hunting from the ground in a patch of thick hemlocks. Other than the sound of the ice pellets all is quiet. A classic morning of deer hunting. Fingers crossed that we get the opportunity to take a deer but even if we do not, today is a success. Who knows how many more hunts I have in me? Good luck to all. Cherish your time afield regardless of whether you take a deer. 

• Like 9

I moved upstairs at 7:45.  The freezing rain stopped and the chair down below was a little too creaky for me.  There are no blind spots up top, and a wonderful new swivel chair that I garbage picked a couple weeks ago.  It don't make a sound when I turn it and is super comfortable.  

The woods came alive with grey squirrels at 8:00, but no signs of any deer yet.  I started my 3rd cup of hot cider.  I will stay here until around noon, when mom ought to have lunch ready. It is very nice out, with wind less than 5 mph and around 35 degrees.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Sitting here with my grandson reminds me of way back when all this hunting was new to me. The anticipation and excitement, the rookie mistakes I made, the deer killed and the deer missed, the shared hunts with friends and my brother. Even the bad days were good now that I look back at them. Over my wool today, I am wearing my original decades old blaze orange vest. It is a bit worn just like the guy wearing it but the tales it could tell.

Good luck Everyone,

brian

• Like 13

Brian you bring back memories of hunting with my mentor my grandpop. Many many years ago. Great man. Great times.
May I ask how old your grandson is? Is he tagging along or old enough to hunt?

Suck it all in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Climbed down and headed to the car. Walk up on 2 doe feeding at about 20yds. I'm carrying a bow today. They see me, but they don't spook. Suburban deer. Do knock an arrow, but they meander away. I spend the next hour trying to get in close enough to shoot. Didn't happen though. Kept them within 75 the whole time and as close as 15 at the end, but just to many ground shrubs to give me a good shot with a bow. Cool game of cat and mouse though.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Haven't seen a thing except crows at a gut pile .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gut piles don't bother deer at all, but  one of the reasons I take my deer back to the cabin to gut them, hate having those crows chirping all day. Gets annoying after a while.

47 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Dead quite here so far.  Buddy Corey is about 500 yards to my west . Hoping to here a shot from him.  

IMG_20201205_073923154.jpg

IMG_20201205_073928033.jpg

That place looks very deery, it amazes me how diverse NY woods can be. From the looks of that place looks very thick with underbrush and not much in the way of big timber.

By me in central NY seems the opposite  not much on the thick stuff, lots of fields, ag fields, pockets of big pine standings, open hardwoods, lots of crab apple trees. The only really thick area I have is my sanctuary and the ditch which has tons of alders, brush and thorny blackberry. 

By you it just seems everything other then the trails its thick and nasty. Other then those trails, can you actually walk in those woods? Just curious thats all and living vicarious threw you guys until the ML opens...lol

Somethings up with the turkey dynamic back here. I’ve seen this limping hen by herself a few times and figured she got in a fight with some other hen for being a slut or something, but today I just saw a lone jake sneaking through.

I’ve seen a lot of turkeys in the fall but never solos like this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic