LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Nothing showed up at the edge of the swamp before sundown.  Ma and Pa saw a big buck walk out and feed on clover, 1/2 hour before sunset, on the other edge of the woods.

I am thankful that I did not sit in my stand over there tonight.  It would have pissed me off a bit to see a bigger one, in the daylight, than I tagged earlier. 

In 39 seasons, I have yet to experience such a temptation.  Hopefully, I will make it thru tomorrow afternoon's hunt at home, without it happening.  I am going to my back woods stand, where I killed my last late-season doe in 2018 on the same Sunday, after church. 

Before church tomorrow, it will be a couple hours watching over the turnips and standing corn from my bedroom window.  

1 hour ago, rob-c said:

Mmmmm Chili  ..

It was good.  My wife's is never quite as tasty.  My wife is making soup with leftovers from a venison neck roast for dinner tonight.  That is usually spectacular.  I will be happy if it is as good as mom's chile.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, airedale said:

They are not gone, they are there somewhere, that is the type of cover they look for to lay up in until dark, they will let you walk right by them. I would bet a good chunk of change if someone cast a couple of Deer running Beagles in that stuff you would see Deer running all over the place.

Problem is that would not be legal;)

Al

I will prob be the beagle for a day.  Lol. I usually try to do a push for my buddy at the end of season sometime.  He is usually grinding to get one deer.  This year he did get a spike in bow season. 

And normally I would agree but it's like this every year. It's a weird spot.  And not that we don't just not see them but during snow I have walked thru the thick stuff just to look around and you can't even find a track.  We have 9 cams out and have basically two deer pics in the last 10 days.  Both the same 2 does. 

Yet down the road is an open Greenfield and it will be loaded with deer in evenings. But too far from us for them to come bed. 

3 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

It was good.  My wife's is never quite as tasty.  My wife is making soup with leftovers from a venison neck roast for dinner tonight.  That is usually spectacular.  I will be happy if it is as good as mom's chile.

Venison neck roast... Probably the TASTIEST  roast on the deer, IMHO.....Enjoy. My Friend  !!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Definitely. It's like eating fine leather from china.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Careful how you talk about China....My Dad was on a destroyer that sent a couple of months in Shanghai  immediately following the Japanese surrender in WWII....I probably have several siblings in China...

Hell...My Dad might be Elmo's grandfather..What relation does that make him to me  ??

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

My brother in law and I went out this afternoon on the property we hunt in 3m

Wind was pretty brutal but right before sundown my brother in law caught this guy coming out of thick woods into the swamp by his stand. Small 7 but for late in the game he will add to the freezer. After passing on several bucks during bow I’m still after my target buck who made an appearance after the closing bell with 8 doe last week. So I’ll be back out solo tomorrow. 

9E0B29B1-7B81-4BE6-BAFD-26F9FF48D7B6.jpeg

• Like 21

Had a nice sit this evening. Didn’t see any deer until I had Climbed down and set my muzzle loader down, and had a monster run by me about 15 yards away. All I could Do was stand there with my mouth open in disbelief. 

Maybe next time. It was just great to be back in the woods. 
Did you consider sticking your leg out and tripping him ????

• Like 1

Made it out for the last hour and a half today thanks to my wonderful wife. Not only did she spend most of the day helping me make 30 pounds of summer sausage but she also shooed me out to hunt and did the cleanup by herself! No deer seen but still a great day. 

image.jpeg

• Like 9

Careful how you talk about China....My Dad was on a destroyer that sent a couple of months in Shanghai  immediately following the Japanese surrender in WWII....I probably have several siblings in China...
Hell...My Dad might be Elmo's grandfather..What relation does that make him to me  ??
If the apple didn't fall far from the tree, I'm certain you have many siblings there. Regardless, that does not make the leather taste any better.

On 12/4/2020 at 7:46 PM, diplomat019 said:

Do you hunt 4s?   I do majority of my hunting in 4s.  I am fortunate to have private land access in Leeds.  Not far from the Buddhist monastery.  

3A, eastern 4R (colgate/elm ridge and others), and tiny bit of 3C. Done a ton of 1C, and started this year in 7's (which was a great opener). 

Whenever I drive 4S I do see a decent amount of deer (and the farms that go with them!). But I'm limited to public land ATM. 

Buddhist monastery on Rt 28 by West Hurley?

3 minutes ago, Catskills54 said:

3A, eastern 4R (colgate/elm ridge and others), and tiny bit of 3C. Done a ton of 1C, and started this year in 7's (which was a great opener). 

Whenever I drive 4S I do see a decent amount of deer (and the farms that go with them!). But I'm limited to public land ATM. 

Buddhist monastery on Rt 28 by West Hurley?

Different monastery.   4s is loaded with does (where i hunt) yet dmps are extremely hard to come by.  

2 minutes ago, Catskills54 said:

How's the DEP land in the lower part of the range? Would be nice to not have my spot blown by birdwatchers & hikers from the city...

Lol. Well i had to explain to dog walkers that it’s hunting season and they cant let their dogs run off leash.  Its a pain but part of hunting certain public lands.  But theres a decent amount of public land available.  

• Like 2

Froze my chops off today. Spent 6 hours in my climber looking at snow and pretending anything but myself was in the woods. One last shot at it tomorrow, I'm gonna stick it out till I have to get down, then I'll do some walking. Beautiful up here in the lower Adk's. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Headed out this morning with my youngest daughter who’s 7 years old. She finally had enough interest this year to see what she’s been missing out on. We will set up in the enclosed box crank the heat and have some fun. I expect this to be a short sit but you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting the kids out in the wild and teaching them, that's priceless for both of you. Enjoy every minute! Before you know it, she might be asking you to go hunting.

• Like 2

How's the DEP land in the lower part of the range? Would be nice to not have my spot blown by birdwatchers & hikers from the city...

Depends on the spot. There’s tons of DEP lands. Some have hikers but many don’t. Some of them have Antler restrictions and other special rules, so just make sure you read the signs. I think some of the Kent ones have the no bucks rule first 2 days of season and then have to 15” wide or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic