LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

I’m up and getting ready. Not 100% sure why. 2 late nights in a row with early mornings hunting and I have a lot to do at the house. I guess I like hunting way more than I like to admit. Not sure where I’ll sit yet but it’s going to be cold but at least dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Congrats to all who have harvested already this season. Seen some amazing bucks taken by this hunters here and even though I haven’t posted much I learn something new every time I read this forum. And good luck to everyone who is still working on filling tags- like myself! 
Even though it’s cold and windy here in 3m, I’ve learned  to always expect the unexpected. As long as you’re in the woods good things can happen at any moment. 
Same here! Dittos, and good luck

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I’m up and getting ready. Not 100% sure why. 2 late nights in a row with early mornings hunting and I have a lot to do at the house. I guess I like hunting way more than I like to admit. Not sure where I’ll sit yet but it’s going to be cold but at least dry.

I am 100 % sure why I am up and contemplating getting ready to go out right now:  75% about a neck roast, and 25% because my wife kicked me out of our bedroom.

I have a little time yet,  because it don't get legal until 7:32.  I will try and be up in my closest tree stand by 7:00.  It will take me about 10 minutes to get there, after I leave the back door. 

It looks damn cold out and it sure is nice here in front of the wood stove :

20201206_053049.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tughill Tamer said:

22 degrees and the last day of rifle season here there's no way I'm sitting this morning out. Good luck to everyone going out.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The awesome thing about that is, I will have a buck tag again, plus an antlerless only.  The only downside is that I can't get up there until Friday night.  I hope there will be a good amount of snow, about 40 miles north of Lowville, at that time (more than an inch but less than a foot).

• Like 1

I was going to sit in a different location today but 28 degrees with a touch of wind has me back in the enclosed stand with a heater. Now I just need a doe dumb enough to come by and give me enough time to wake up and lower a window.

60fd473b146520e86d90770a016248a3.jpg

I was going to sit in a different location today but 28 degrees with a touch of wind has me back in the enclosed stand with a heater. Now I just need a doe dumb enough to come by and give me enough time to wake up and lower a window.

60fd473b146520e86d90770a016248a3.jpg&key=340d9af713d78892555597ebea6cdad9a666b3c938defe1fcf76db3c90c69864

Your smarter than me i forwent the heated tower for the freeze yoazzoffwindintheface stand.

Smh

All’s well in 3S bow only except my toes...they froze off 20 minutes ago due to the 15-20mph Cold winds and their weak constitution.
I’m over some fluffy warm beds on a little draw between two humps waiting for the mama and two fawns to finish feeding in the field. They are just about to enter my side of the woods 100 yards away... if they make a right and follow the trail, I will tuck them in!

• Like 2

Hopefully,  I got all my misses behind me now, at three in a row, after this mornings screw up.  That makes $ 15 worth of wasted 12 ga. Hornady SST's, Not good at all, in these times of ammo scarcity.  It is really going to drive up my cost per pound of venison this year.  I hope late ML season goes a little better.

I took a parting shot at a buck on opening day, to try and keep him out of the swamp, after he  took my first shot thru the boiler room.  Counting the holes in the carcass while skinning it proved that was clean miss number one.

I will not be able to prove the "cleaness" of today's two misses because the culprit got away, leaving no signs of hair or blood.  I really blew it because if I had only been a bit more patient, I could have had a closer, easier shot, as it was calmly feeding on a chewed up rib cage, that was just 50 yards from my horribly uncomfortable ladder stand.

I first saw the coyote approach from behind, and I figured it was headed for the "bait".  Rather than waiting until it was distracted and feeding, I rushed a shot as soon as I thought I could make it (#2).  I sent #3 as it trotted back where it came from.

Lessons learned: First, be patient and wait for a good shot,  Second, that ladder stand needs a better seat and a better shooting rail.  I am thankful to learn those lessons on worthless vermin, rather than good meat.

Edited by wolc123

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic