LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

It’s great my friend let me hunt his land, but each time I do , I wish I brought  my chainsaw ! Why mow around the field if you can’t shoot into the lanes ? Heres  my view of the lane in front and behind me . 

16176C21-E794-4083-ADF0-F62845EE36AE.jpeg

65A82C7D-3F62-4DAB-A826-B6910E52E963.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Nomad said:

It’s great my friend let me hunt his land, but each time I do , I wish I brought  my chainsaw ! Why mow around the field if you can’t shoot into the lanes ? Heres  my view of the lane in front and behind me . 

16176C21-E794-4083-ADF0-F62845EE36AE.jpeg

65A82C7D-3F62-4DAB-A826-B6910E52E963.jpeg

A hand saw or some loppers would be nice and quiet right about now....

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, manmathison said:

Saw 15 deer in total, on the day, some I’m sure we’re duplicates.

14 hours ago, Catskills54 said:

That would be an awesome day for me this season, or any season seeing 15 deer this late into gun in one day.

I haven't seen 15 the entire season:O

• Like 1

Well I saw a deer, actually a spike/small basket maybe.  Definitely had antlers. I jumped it out of its bed.  I had one hole and let her rip swing and a miss.

However does anyone have a recipe for sapling?  It didn't go anywhere.  

Rather have a clean miss then a bad hit.

Did get bad news the property I hunted today I've had sole permission to hunt and run the property.  Today I found out the last 2 years they've been letting everyone and there brother hunt it.  Its only 20 acres of wood 15 meadow so it doesn't take much to get over hunted. One hit an 8 and lost it last week and another shot one out of there truck.    So after this year I wont be hunting it anymore.  It's a 45 minute drive.  Not worth it if it's getting hunted that hard.  It explains why I haven't seen a deer since october there.  I get it it's there property but a heads up would of been nice.  They are family friends so I'll just go visit them and not worry about hunting it.

20201206_122626.jpg

20201206_122605.jpg

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Sad 2

I'm sick to my stomach right now. I shot an un alert buck which was at least an 8pt at 933am this morning and cannot find him. I have never lost one with the gun. The shot seemed perfect, just behind the shoulder, mid body, and he kicked when hit. Shot was 30 yards with my .243. Watched him run a short ways uphill and stumble and then hunch a little and he disappeared. No blood until 75 yards into the track and we followed that bright red blood for at least 1/4 mile til it disappeared. Never bumped a deer the entire time either.
I left a message with a local member of United Blood Trackers to see if he would like to come out but for now I am home and just thinking this deer is dead. We followed so much blood and he had to have some building up inside as well. Thanks for reading my vent session.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

I'm sick to my stomach right now. I shot an un alert buck which was at least an 8pt at 933am this morning and cannot find him. I have never lost one with the gun. The shot seemed perfect, just behind the shoulder, mid body, and he kicked when hit. Shot was 30 yards with my .243. Watched him run a short ways uphill and stumble and then hunch a little and he disappeared. No blood until 75 yards into the track and we followed that bright red blood for at least 1/4 mile til it disappeared. Never bumped a deer the entire time either.
I left a message with a local member of United Blood Trackers to see if he would like to come out but for now I am home and just thinking this deer is dead. We followed so much blood and he had to have some building up inside as well. Thanks for reading my vent session.

Been there. Gotta give him time to stiffen up. Don’t bump him. Sucks. Gotta wait til tomorrow. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Bright red....any bubbles?
Coming out both sides? How high were you finding it on sapplings.
What was in the ground at the POI? Hair?

From what described it was a good shot.....typical reaction....and not a problem you didn't see blood for 75 yards.

You most likey have a dead deer....give it an hour and get on the track.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Zem18 said:

Good luck Zem. Hope u find him. Sure sounds like a dead deer

Edited by Robhuntandfish

1 hour ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Well I saw a deer, actually a spike/small basket maybe.  Definitely had antlers. I jumped it out of its bed.  I had one hole and let her rip swing and a miss.

However does anyone have a recipe for sapling?  It didn't go anywhere.  

Rather have a clean miss then a bad hit.

Did get bad news the property I hunted today I've had sole permission to hunt and run the property.  Today I found out the last 2 years they've been letting everyone and there brother hunt it.  Its only 20 acres of wood 15 meadow so it doesn't take much to get over hunted. One hit an 8 and lost it last week and another shot one out of there truck.    So after this year I wont be hunting it anymore.  It's a 45 minute drive.  Not worth it if it's getting hunted that hard.  It explains why I haven't seen a deer since october there.  I get it it's there property but a heads up would of been nice.  They are family friends so I'll just go visit them and not worry about hunting it.

20201206_122626.jpg

20201206_122605.jpg

I raise you one ironwood

IMG_20201205_080852.jpg

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Zem18 said:

Most lung hits that I have followed have been pretty straight tracks, almost as if they loose the ability to turn after the boiler room is punctured.  If you mark the last few spots of blood, and extend our a straight line, you might stumble across your buck.

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic