LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Good luck, Zem.  I hope you have some snow to aid in tracking.

walking into the woods I spotted a very small buck about 100yards away that ended up broadside at 30yards within 2 minutes.  1.5yo 6pt.  I put him in the crosshairs, but didn’t pull the trigger.  I hope I don’t live to regret that...

Finished up my sausage making today with 10 pounds of Cajun snack sticks and 7.5 of Chorizo breakfast sausage. Headed out about two with the battery heated socks on and my toes are nice and warm. Can’t help but to think about how I used to freeze my arse off in cotton long underwear and blue jeans with a black and red will flannel jacket an uninsulated work gloves. Climb a tree, jam a foot into the crotch of the tree and hang on. Anytime I think I miss those days I think about how frickin’ cold I was. 

image.jpg

• Like 3

A group of us hunted state land today . Carried a very nice blr in 308 . Some deer tracks from yesterday in the snow ..  more people tracks . I kept getting walked on by people so I  stalked into a big ravine.   Climed up the other side found a finger of brush.  Pointed my nose into the wind and still hunted a bench for 200 yds. Stopped to scan and picked up movement in a blow down 60 yards away . Looked with binos and could see 2 deer bedded. Snuck  to 40 yds and I could see horns . Shouldered my rifle as they stood up . I could see  it was a doe and a small 6. Let them walk as I was not interested in dragging them  acrossed the ravine  back up the hill probably  a mile.

Great day for a walk. 3 inches  of snow . Just to many people around .

• Like 3

I'm sick to my stomach right now. I shot an un alert buck which was at least an 8pt at 933am this morning and cannot find him. I have never lost one with the gun. The shot seemed perfect, just behind the shoulder, mid body, and he kicked when hit. Shot was 30 yards with my .243. Watched him run a short ways uphill and stumble and then hunch a little and he disappeared. No blood until 75 yards into the track and we followed that bright red blood for at least 1/4 mile til it disappeared. Never bumped a deer the entire time either.
I left a message with a local member of United Blood Trackers to see if he would like to come out but for now I am home and just thinking this deer is dead. We followed so much blood and he had to have some building up inside as well. Thanks for reading my vent session.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Definitely sounds like a dead deer. Easier said than done, but you may just have to back out until the morning. Best of luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not see any deer on my last hunt of the 2020 gun season.  I was hoping for an antlerless one, but nothing doing this afternoon.  The last antlerless deer I saw was 10:00, on opening day morning.  I am a little relieved to have not seen a larger buck than the 6 point that I took on opening day.  I thought this was going to be the year that I suffered that temptation.

Now it is on to ML season up in the nz next weekend, and back here on the following weekend.  One more average sized deer would be nice.

3 hours ago, Zem18 said:

I'm sick to my stomach right now. I shot an un alert buck which was at least an 8pt at 933am this morning and cannot find him. I have never lost one with the gun. The shot seemed perfect, just behind the shoulder, mid body, and he kicked when hit. Shot was 30 yards with my .243. Watched him run a short ways uphill and stumble and then hunch a little and he disappeared. No blood until 75 yards into the track and we followed that bright red blood for at least 1/4 mile til it disappeared. Never bumped a deer the entire time either.
I left a message with a local member of United Blood Trackers to see if he would like to come out but for now I am home and just thinking this deer is dead. We followed so much blood and he had to have some building up inside as well. Thanks for reading my vent session.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Could be you have no exit wound and hes bleeding mostly internally with some blood pouring out the shot side. If as described you should find that deer dead, just not sure why you didn't find him after a 1/4 mile? The distance you tracked from POI is whats concerning. 

2 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Could be you have no exit wound and hes bleeding mostly internally with some blood pouring out the shot side. If as described you should find that deer dead, just not sure why you didn't find him after a 1/4 mile? The distance you tracked from POI is whats concerning. 

I was thinking the same thing.  That is too far, if the bullet passed below the spine.  Either it went above, or the distance was not correct.  I wonder what type of .243 bullet was used ?.   

30 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  That is too far, if the bullet passed below the spine.  Either it went above, or the distance was not correct.  I wonder what type of .243 bullet was used ?.   

Not a .243 fan. Come at me. Up that to 7mm08 for a little more leeway for shooters error resulting in less lost deer. But that’s for another thread not to clog up this one. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well I contemplated going this am but this moving thing sucks, so I took the extra 2 hrs of needed sleep and got up and moved some more. Now I lay in my recliner hoping I make it to 8pm without passing out! Did see 7 doe cross thru the back yard, I’m guessing they got pushed out of a neighboring wood lot. One mature doe had a big chunk missing off her back also guessing a recent gun miss.

Got one stand hung back there today for now, I’ll add some more next yr. should be a great spot as I’ve hunted it in the past!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Zag said:

Well I contemplated going this am but this moving thing sucks, so I took the extra 2 hrs of needed sleep and got up and moved some more. Now I lay in my recliner hoping I make it to 8pm without passing out! Did see 7 doe cross thru the back yard, I’m guessing they got pushed out of a neighboring wood lot. One mature doe had a big chunk missing off her back also guessing a recent gun miss.

Got one stand hung back there today for now, I’ll add some more next yr. should be a great spot as I’ve hunted it in the past!

You'll still have the late archery/muzzleloader season AFTER you move in!

• Like 1

Just now, Lawdwaz said:

You'll still have the late archery/muzzleloader season AFTER you move in!

I was listening to Bob Lonsberry the other day and he had a dec officer on from reg 8 and they asked him about the after Christmas hunting and he said should hear something real soon!! That would be sweet!!

Our movers are coming this Friday so that should take some pressure off! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Zag said:

I was listening to Bob Lonsberry the other day and he had a dec officer on from reg 8 and they asked him about the after Christmas hunting and he said should hear something real soon!! That would be sweet!!

I just saw on. Another site it was a no go for this year. But will be next ill see if i can find link.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Got me another one! Another large fat doe for the freezer. She was loaded right up with fat. First deer taken with the .223, she didnt even take a step. 

160583B3-970A-48AB-BF67-4D7ACF16DB1B.jpeg

Oh come on, a 223?  You really should jump that up to at the very least a 243.  :)

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Zag said:

I was talking about the December 14-22 late archery/ML'r season.   I believe you said you had to be out by 12/15 so hopefully the pressure of moving out of the old house lets you hit the woods a little then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I have several larger caliber guns. Solid copper bullets designed for deer work quite well. I wanted a challenge lol. 80 yard high neck shot yielded great results. 

Amazing.....I really should look into these "solid copper" bullets. :)

Well done on the doe......

• Haha 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic