LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

14 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I do agree its a little marginal, not a beginner set up. However I’m the guy that conceal carries .380s and .38 special snubbies. 

Nothing wrong with .38 snubbies...Joe Friday has been carrying one for over 50 years..

" Just the FACTS, Ma'am "..... Hehehe...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Not a .243 fan. Come at me. Up that to 7mm08 for a little more leeway for shooters error resulting in less lost deer. But that’s for another thread not to clog up this one. 

If and when I get another rifle, the 7mm08 is probably what I will go with, most likely in a Ruger American.  I have heard no complaints for the performance of that on deer.  I am guessing that it uses a .308 case, necked down to .270 bullet.  Seems just about perfect for deer.  

I would like a light weight, compact, scoped deer gun for good and marginal weather conditions,  in the Adirondacks.  My father in law lets me use his Marlin 336 30/30 now, but I am not crazy about the cheap 3-9x scope on it, and I won't use it if there is any chance of rain or sleet.  

My own Marlin 336BL 30/30, with fiber optic sites works well for foul weather hunting up there, but I am lacking something for the "in between" weather conditions.  I have had enough of lugging my big, heavy Ruger M77 30/06 up there.

3 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

If and when I get another rifle, the 7mm08 is probably what I will go with, most likely in a Ruger American.  I have heard no complaints for the performance of that on deer.  I am guessing that it uses a .308 case, necked down to .270 bullet.  Seems just about perfect for deer.  

I would like a light weight, compact, scoped deer gun for good and marginal weather conditions,  in the Adirondacks.  My father in law lets me use his Marlin 336 30/30 now, but I am not crazy about the cheap 3-9x scope on it, and I won't use it if there is any chance of rain or sleet.  

My own Marlin 336BL 30/30, with fiber optic sites works well for foul weather hunting up there, but I am lacking something for the "in between" weather conditions.  I have had enough of lugging my big, heavy Ruger M77 30/06 up there.

Its a 7mm bullet. (.284) its my favorite deer round

image.jpg

I went out with the 336 in 35 rem today. I actually just made a deal online for a marlin 444p if it comes before this coming weekend I may take it out. Would love to shoot a deer with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

I went out with the 336 in 35 rem today. I actually just made a deal online for a marlin 444p if it comes before this coming weekend I may take it out. Would love to shoot a deer with it

That .444 round is a hammer on deer. My neighbor shoots one in a Thompson Center contender handgun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zag said:

I was listening to Bob Lonsberry the other day and he had a dec officer on from reg 8 and they asked him about the after Christmas hunting and he said should hear something real soon!! That would be sweet!!

Our movers are coming this Friday so that should take some pressure off! 

I hope that after Christmas deal happens this year.  It seems crazy not to do it with the Covid pandemic still going so strong.  Give the folks a chance to go outside and get some free meat, rather than keeping them cooped up indoors.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

.270 bullet is  .277  inches...  7mm bullet is  .284 "   Stricktly informational...  Wouldn't make a bit of difference to the deer..

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wolc123 said:

Is it necked a down.308 case ?

Yes..It is a .308 case necked down to accept a 7mm ( .284") bullet....

First gained popularity as a mettalic sillhoette  chambering  for competition out to 500 yards...

Caught on with hunters after that..It is ballistically equal to the 7 x 57 Mauser round which has been around since 1893, but works in a short action, allowing a somewhat shorter, handier hunting rifle..

Other than that, I don't know much about it...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Chef said:

I had a Marlin 444. Never hunted with it, but it was a nice firearm. 

2 minutes ago, Don_C said:

Have any of you Amherst guys seen this beast roaming around on Maple or Transit Rd??!!f6c6ed137cf7d03407c08b11ecdd2f1c.jpg&key=e174bde4a3ad4a5561944ec4cea3b3c56c3a2474c38d723090e3f60534e73a8f

Jesus. Wolc chest girth has that beast 800 pounds on the hoof, with 775 pounds of edible venison. Buck n doe shop. Here’s your 41 pound box 

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

I had a Marlin 444. Never hunted with it, but it was a nice firearm. 

I know you did, you sold it or posted it online.... it still comes up when one searches for one for sale... with the same name.... you had the 444p outfitter as well.

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

I know you did, you sold it or posted it online.... it still comes up when one searches for one for sale... with the same name.... you had the 444p outfitter as well.

Really? I had no idea, I sold that gun like 3 or 4 years ago on gunbroker. I sold it to a guy for CT who was going to bear hunt with. I believe it was the outfitter. It was a nice shooting gun. 
Do you know where you saw it at? I’d like to make sure it’s deleted. 

Edited by Splitear

Really? I had no idea, I sold that gun like 3 or 4 years ago on gunbroker. I sold it to a guy for CT who was going to bear hunt with. I believe it was the outfitter. It was a nice shooting gun. 

Yea I was about to send you a PM to see if you Still had it before I realized it was sold I would’ve came up and met you for it

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic