LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

I haven't been out in 2 weeks and my wife was able to work from home for a couple of hours this morning that meant I could hunt until 10 and get home to the kids.
I forgot to set my alarm last night. I got up at 630 and said screw it I'll be hunting Sunday.  
645 I changed my mind showered and was in the stand at 745.
At 9 am a button buck steps out at 20 yards feeding. The whole time the little one is feeding I can make out the ears of another deer 70 yards at in the brush but it won't come out. After 25 min the little one walks off 10 min later I look over where the other deer was in the brush and I can see a big doe staring at me behind some brush . I put the cross hairs behind her shoulder and in the cloud of smoke I can she her trotting off.
She went all of 60 yards and piled up. Double lung shot.
I'll have this one butchered and surprise my grandma with the meat.

20201211_112139.jpg

20201211_101113.jpg

20201211_101432.jpg

• Like 34

8 minutes ago, Red said:

I haven't been out in 2 weeks and my wife was able to work from home for a couple of hours this morning that meant I could hunt until 10 and get home to the kids.
I forgot to set my alarm last night. I got up at 630 and said screw it I'll be hunting Sunday.  
645 I changed my mind showered and was in the stand at 745.
At 9 am a button buck steps out at 20 yards feeding. The whole time the little one is feeding I can make out the ears of another deer 70 yards at in the brush but it won't come out. After 25 min the little one walks off 10 min later I look over where the other deer was in the brush and I can see a big doe staring at me behind some brush . I put the cross hairs behind her shoulder and in the cloud of smoke I can she her trotting off.
She went all of 60 yards and piled up. Double lung shot.
I'll have this one butchered and surprise my grandma with the meat.

did the bb hang around? I've had them watch me gut their momma and I can't say I enjoy it.

19 minutes ago, Belo said:

did the bb hang around? I've had them watch me gut their momma and I can't say I enjoy it.

I've had them hang around before also and don't like it.  This wouldn't didn't hang around.  While following the blood trail I jumped 2 deer with my luck it was the little one and maybe a buck that was hanging back with the big toe that I shot. Lol

• Like 1

Finally did a little drive with my buddy's today that we were going to do a few days ago. We moved a few deer and one doe was missed that should have been a dead deer. Good time with good buddy's. Maybe I'll get out this afternoon.

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I had one lay down next to its mother after I shot her,. Stood there until I climbed out of my tree and walked towards them. Then he walked back a couple of times before finally taking off after I threw a stick at him.  Nothing against guys that do, but I won't shoot a doe with a fawn after that. I know the fawn can survive, but I just felt like crap inside.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, JALA RUT said:

I had one lay down next to its mother after I shot her,. Stood there until I climbed out of my tree and walked towards them. Then he walked back a couple of times before finally taking off after I threw a stick at him.  Nothing against guys that do, but I won't shoot a doe with a fawn after that. I know the fawn can survive, but I just felt like crap inside.

yeah man, the worst one for me had the doe fawn bleating at me about 10 yards away as I'm shoulder deep in her mom. Not ideal, but she was tasty.

1 hour ago, JALA RUT said:

I had the reverse happen this season. I downed a button buck with my bow and a doe came around to him. She barked at him and bedded right beside him. It was tough.

• Like 1

In the stand now, and it feels like a balmy day in bow season out here!  I have a deer marathon planned for the weekend.  Hunting bucks mornings and nights and processing two does midday.  I’m allowing a few friends to hunt my place so we should be able to put something on the ground.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 7:07 PM, Steuben Jerry said:

That's a cool looking woods landscape with the rock outcroppings and boulders strewn around.

SJ.  Ever since you made this comment I can’t help but notice this lol.   I guess I never took notice of it because it always looked normal to me.  Everywhere I drive locally I am amazed at all the boulders strewn about.   Im in the Catskills right now and there isn’t a boulder in sight!!!   Maybe it’s just where i hunt in the Catskills, but I cant stop thinking about it hahahah

image.jpg

• Like 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic