LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

My hunter this afternoon ( an old friend of many hunting trips who suffered a stroke recently)  canceled out on this afternoon's hunt because he was not feeling well...

Tomorrow Marvin ( after whom one of my pet spikes is named)  is hunting with me....Hopefully Marvin the buck will come out and Marvin can shoot himself...Hehehehe...

• Like 6

Need advice.

Walking my property I came across someone's tracks. I followed them to see where he was coming from and ended up in a seldom walked corner of my place where I saw a large scrape through the snow and a close-by rub. Very fresh as there's nothing on this dirt. 

How do I hunt it? I can get in here before sunrise and ground sit wherever is advantageous for the wind. Morning? Day? Late afternoon? Any advantage to putting out a little doe scent?

On 12/10/2020 at 8:22 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

1 less deer eating vermin in my woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were you able to get any days this year for a decent snow track?  I know you like to get on a good track and last year's story was awesome.  

Me and a buddy were talking about how years ago there were times we couldn't even hunt because there was three + feet of snow to get thru up north. This year we never saw more than an inch of snow.  

Did it make for a tougher season up north? 

Well, this is a tough one to write. I took a different path in from my evening sit tonite and came across the deer I thought I missed a week ago. Tears me up to have wasted the meat on such a nice buck but at least I know that I didn’t wound him or miss completely. Shot right thru the shoulder. No hair, no blood anywhere when I was searching. I walked within ten yards of him a couple of times while searching. This is a very large bodied deer. The rack looks small on such a big body. Coyotes got the hind end. I’ll take the head for a euro mount tomorrow and do an autopsy. Disgusted that I lost him, relieved that I didn’t miss. 

E0501A2F-13A7-422E-B773-15BA5060F09B.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, 46rkl said:

Well, this is a tough one to write. I took a different path in from my evening sit tonite and came across the deer I thought I missed a week ago. Tears me up to have wasted the meat on such a nice buck but at least I know that I didn’t wound him or miss completely. Shot right thru the shoulder. No hair, no blood anywhere when I was searching. I walked within ten yards of him a couple of times while searching. This is a very large bodied deer. The rack looks small on such a big body. Coyotes got the hind end. I’ll take the head for a euro mount tomorrow and do an autopsy. Disgusted that I lost him, relieved that I didn’t miss. 

E0501A2F-13A7-422E-B773-15BA5060F09B.jpeg

That sucks but at least you know what happened.  

That's a wrap for today.  A nice balmy day with not a lot of wind and I probably had my best day of the season without even pulling the trigger. Saw a beautiful grey fox (which we don't have a lot of), and nineteen turkey as they headed to roost. All at less than 75 yards. At legal sundown I get ready to descend with the climber and see two flags take off through the woods about 75 yards away. To dark to see:angry:. Look to my left towards the field and there stands a BIG bodied, wide and tall half rack. While I am looking at him through binoculars another four or six point walks by him.  All after legal.

I get back to the house and by now it is pretty dark but there is a pretty hue to the sky. I stop for a second to soak that all in and a pack of coyotes open up about 200 yards away.

Can't help but wonder what the poor people are doing:imsohappy:

IMG_20201211_162007[1].jpg

• Like 3

After holding out all season for two special bucks, I'm going to try and fill some tags this weekend. My partner will do some small pushes to me tomorrow. This has produced some decent bucks in the past for us. Sunday, we will both push to his daughter. 

Not sure if I'll be able to hunt again after this weekend, with work and family obligations. But if I do, it would be with my bow in the Pine Bush. So last hunts on the farm this year. Will do some predator hunting after the holidays.

Been a long time since I didn't get a deer. But I'm good if it happens. I truly gave getting one of those two bucks my best shot. And wouldn't change a thing if the season were to start tomorrow! Was an honor to hunt those monarchs of the woods. 

• Like 14

My nephew can't seem to see a buck. I hunt the same area the next day and see bucks, lol.  

The other day a 8pt poised in front of the camera 15 minutes after he left his stand. 

Seen a decent 5pt this afternoon that had been shot above the spine. Appeared to be healing up nicely, as he was pestering some does. 

That was odd I thought I had missed him somehow. It was only a 50yrd shot but after the shot he took off but did not show any signs of being hurt. When I got down and went to where I shot there was not a drop of blood in the snow. Followed his tracks with no blood. Hit him right behind the shoulder and no blood till I found him. Usually deer I've shot with a muzzleloader leave quite a blood trail.38c794e5de89527efa0a78a4f4646271.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 11

Were you able to get any days this year for a decent snow track?  I know you like to get on a good track and last year's story was awesome.  
Me and a buddy were talking about how years ago there were times we couldn't even hunt because there was three + feet of snow to get thru up north. This year we never saw more than an inch of snow.  
Did it make for a tougher season up north? 

Yea, had a good year tracking. Had to chase snow all over the ADK’s but probably had 10 days of tracking. Missed 2 bucks. One easy shot that I hit a sapling and another was a tough shot. Let a few nice ones go. All in all it was a good year, wish I could have got either of the 2 I missed but it’s the way it goes.

• Like 3

I am up north now, and looking forward to some ML hunting this weekend, and having a buck tag again.  I have had about enough of waiting for does during gun season, back home in the southern zone. 

There is just a dusting of snow left in the shady spots up here, so it is not going to be easy.   I have never killed a buck up here, when there was no snow on the ground. 

I also have an antlerless tag. I would be thankful for an Adirondack doe, or better yet, a fat button buck.  I just got filled in on the local intel,  regarding the current whereabouts of the local herd. 

I need to see what way the wind is blowing from in the morning, to plan where to approach from.  If the wind is from the south, I will go in on foot.  If it from the north, I will drive my truck around behind them, before entering the woods.  The key is surprise, and to be where they least expect me.

Up here, I always see about 6 antlerless deer per each antlered one.  At home, where the antlerless deer get hammered on nuisance permits before October 1, that ratio is nearly the reverse. 

Besides the 2.5 year old 6-pointer that I killed 3 hours in, my only other gun season deer sighting at home was a 1.5  year old buck, with a rack and body that was about half the size.

• Like 2

Shot what I thought was a doe but ended up being a Unicorn. That's ok I will give him to the guys I'm hunting with I've got plenty of venison and they have had a terrible year.37cbcc6346c734e0c20b8c02416fd102.jpg&key=45b1104a92dbbd725d8ab71aa1c19016b1ee2fa58581ddcef4b75b993e0d6553

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Careful now@Belo may take that statement for fighting words

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1

Well move went well, I threw my back out 10 minutes into helping the movers ( shitty dang deal). Im so fortunate my 12 yr old stepped up and helped big time! I’m currently knee deep in whiskey to help loosen my muscles:-)

Tomorrow’s a no go as hopefully I can get around. Cleaning old house up and setting up Xmas tree in our new home. Sunday back willing were gonna make it happen!

Edited by Zag
  • Like 6

Need advice.
Walking my property I came across someone's tracks. I followed them to see where he was coming from and ended up in a seldom walked corner of my place where I saw a large scrape through the snow and a close-by rub. Very fresh as there's nothing on this dirt. 
How do I hunt it? I can get in here before sunrise and ground sit wherever is advantageous for the wind. Morning? Day? Late afternoon? Any advantage to putting out a little doe scent?

Is there an area for him to bed in there or a food source for him to visit? Figure out why he’s in that area and hunt it accordingly. Personally, I don’t hunt AMs this late in the season. Bucks are mostly back in their beds close to day light and too easy to get blown out. If it’s a bedding area you’ve tracked him too I’d set up on the downwind edge mid day. If you have a food source I’d set up for the afternoon. And lastly I wouldn’t use doe scent. You’ve found him, no need to draw him in. Good luck!

• Like 2

Up and having coffee.last day of the 2020 deer season for us.overall i cant complain,we all saw deer and i harvested my biggest buck to date during bow.got dad and cousin in shooting range of deer,just didnt connect/get shot.deff need to make some land improvements for next season.

Already thinking of maybe a few crow/tree rat/fox hunts in the coming weeks:taunt:

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic