LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Having a leisurely breakfast this morning when two shots go off from the back edge of my property where a buddy was hunting. A half hour later I text him to see what the story was and he had shot a doe but needed help tracking. Long story short, a half mile track and we finally caught up with her and made the kill shot. Helped drag her in and then went out to tag and take the head from the buck I shot a week ago and found last night. Nice nine point that wil make a nice euro mount. 
Back in the stand for the evening watch and the group leading the land behind mine are putting on a drive. Sounds like lots of people in it so I’m sitting on a sneak lane that leads off of their land onto mine. Could be fun!

E805A99B-C279-4064-A125-0D87E674423F.jpeg

• Like 4

Well, I'm on the the board. Got a nice sized doe. I was sitting in my hunting buddy's stand in West Valley, just a few miles south of Springville.  Behind me to my right I hear leaves crunching, then more leaves crunching, then I hear the crunching moving away from me. I slowly turn my head and look. About 33 yards away are a group of four doe. The last one saw me move. She was looking at me, bobbing her head up and down trying to make me out. Then she starts to walk away. Fearing the others would then follow her, I figure it's now or never. I slowly swing my gun around to my 4 o'clock, and shoot the first doe that gives me a shot. I shoot, and all four run away. I was apoplectic. How could I have missed? Texted my hunting buddy, he said don't get down from the stand.  Wait, I'll be there in 10 minutes.

He comes, I guide him to where I shot. He immediately finds blood. I get down and join the track. I wish I would have taken a picture. It wasn't a blood trail, it was a red carpet about 16" wide and 50 yards long. It turned out to be a classic double lung shot. Amazed it ran as far as it did. The terrain was very hilly with a small ravine and waterfall. We found it just before it would have gone down the ravine and into the creek.

He helped me with the drag back; it was an ordeal. The terrain was like a mini version of Ithaca. Very thankful for the help I got in getting it done.

PXL_20201212_155537683.jpg

PXL_20201212_165959007.jpg

• Like 33

2 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Nice pants

I'm surprised you could pick them out, as that camo is so good.

Just after that, I was answering an email and I looked up to see the body of a deer exactly where I thought they would be. Head was behind a tree but clearly it could see me. I moved slowly as I mounted the gun waiting for it to come out (hoping for antlers), but didn't notice the two does behind. All three does bolted.

Another day.

Took the drive and the long walk to my ladder on the island between the corn fields. Have not been here sense last week of bow. Seems someone found it and has been sitting it. Left a scent wick. It’s public so no worries. Wonder if they got anything to confirm I put it in a good spot lol. I got a new spot for it next year.

36 degrees and there’s was a dozen cars when I left the lot. I’m sitting till lunch hoping for some hunters to push some deer. Cmon pretty doe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Howlands? There were 15 of us there today for 2 drives, my first time out there. I couldn't believe the buck sign everywhere! I could've shot a buck on the first drive as a walker but I wasn't positive where the walker on my left was as I lost sight of him. The buck posed every way possible at 40 yds but not being 100% of where my buddy was I let him sneak back through the drive. Then the 2 guys behind us shot him haha. It's a huge place, I'll be back for sure next archery season.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Anyone who thinks I shot a 12 w/split brows and twin drop tines, hasn’t been reading my posts to closely ...... Pushed a few spots, I had to,pass on some bigger does as they came past me, saw our trucks then came back down a lane right to me . However lead doe saw me and they crossed the ditch behind me, into winter wheat field , easy shot but houses and a road 200 yards down range .

The others all skirted us for the most part .

• Like 2

Howlands? There were 15 of us there today for 2 drives, my first time out there. I couldn't believe the buck sign everywhere! I could've shot a buck on the first drive as a walker but I wasn't positive where the walker on my left was as I lost sight of him. The buck posed every way possible at 40 yds but not being 100% of where my buddy was I let him sneak back through the drive. Then the 2 guys behind us shot him haha. It's a huge place, I'll be back for sure next archery season.

Yea there were 3 of us there till noon. It gets hit hard. Saw a big group driving the section by the entrance road to the inner lot on my way out. There’s rubs and scrapes a plenty. The deer there are scared shitless right now and got to be kicked up to move.

Yea there were 3 of us there till noon. It gets hit hard. Saw a big group driving the section by the entrance road to the inner lot on my way out. There’s rubs and scrapes a plenty. The deer there are scared shitless right now and got to be kicked up to move.

I couldn't believe it when I got there before light and there were 16 cars in the lot already. We sat for the first hour and a half of light and only heard one shot (at a deer) and 1,000 duck hunter shots. Tracks everywhere, but I'm sure by now those deer are glued to the marsh during light.

• Like 1

40+ does and only two small bucks tonight. Wind kept playing games with me and doing the opposite of the forecast. I didn’t get blown out but the does were pretty spooky and I guess the bucks got the memo. I really wish NY didn’t limit us to 6 doe tags, kind of a joke for some areas like mine.

bc4b3b10786dff1df921f9d1116438a6.jpg

• Like 1

Well not a good day.  10miles hiked jumped 1 deer no idea what it was.  Saw 2 squirrels and 2 grouse.  2 guys bailed on us just no calls or nothing.  Not a good day at all. Tired sore going to bed soon might be up early and go hunting tomorrow morning.  Not to motivated after today.  No one saw a deer until we pulled in my driveway and there was a doe.

• Sad 1

Well we found some tracks from the bear and the land owner where the bear ran was already out looking with his tracking dog when I arrived. We followed the dog on the scent for about a mile and called it. I’m confident the bear is just banged up and it wasn’t lethal hit with the Ford. But I was feeling ill and the wife made me go get a rona test and now I’m quarantined because I got it. I’ll keep you guys posted on how this goes.

• Sad 3

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic