LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

3 hours ago, goosifer said:

Well, I'm on the the board. Got a nice sized doe. I was sitting in my hunting buddy's stand in West Valley, just a few miles south of Springville.  Behind me to my right I hear leaves crunching, then more leaves crunching, then I hear the crunching moving away from me. I slowly turn my head and look. About 33 yards away are a group of four doe. The last one saw me move. She was looking at me, bobbing her head up and down trying to make me out. Then she starts to walk away. Fearing the others would then follow her, I figure it's now or never. I slowly swing my gun around to my 4 o'clock, and shoot the first doe that gives me a shot. I shoot, and all four run away. I was apoplectic. How could I have missed? Texted my hunting buddy, he said don't get down from the stand.  Wait, I'll be there in 10 minutes.

He comes, I guide him to where I shot. He immediately finds blood. I get down and join the track. I wish I would have taken a picture. It wasn't a blood trail, it was a red carpet about 16" wide and 50 yards long. It turned out to be a classic double lung shot. Amazed it ran as far as it did. The terrain was very hilly with a small ravine and waterfall. We found it just before it would have gone down the ravine and into the creek.

He helped me with the drag back; it was an ordeal. The terrain was like a mini version of Ithaca. Very thankful for the help I got in getting it done.

PXL_20201212_155537683.jpg

PXL_20201212_165959007.jpg

Congratulations Goose!

• Like 2

Well not a good day.  10miles hiked jumped 1 deer no idea what it was.  Saw 2 squirrels and 2 grouse.  2 guys bailed on us just no calls or nothing.  Not a good day at all. Tired sore going to bed soon might be up early and go hunting tomorrow morning.  Not to motivated after today.  No one saw a deer until we pulled in my driveway and there was a doe.
Hunting is supposed to be fun.....most people go to work if they are looking for misery.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mowin said:

My grandnephew Kayden finally had a crack at one.  125 yrd shot. 5pt 146 lbs. Used his dad's rifle. I'm sure Adam is smiling down on him.  spacer.png

IMG_20201212_164923724.jpg

Yeah Kayden Congrats on a great late season slamma!  Party at Mowins tonite ha!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lomax said:

Good afternoon with Robhunt&fish.  He harvested a nice doe out of the Buckform this afternoon.   

242CBE76-0111-485B-BA1B-969C81C19BE5.jpeg

Can't thank you enough @Lomaxfor the invite!  Glad to get a doe but was great to meet you and BS in the buckform.  Awesome spot you have set up and a good time for sure. And glad we figured out I hit it!  Lol. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well, I'm on the the board. Got a nice sized doe. I was sitting in my hunting buddy's stand in West Valley, just a few miles south of Springville.  Behind me to my right I hear leaves crunching, then more leaves crunching, then I hear the crunching moving away from me. I slowly turn my head and look. About 33 yards away are a group of four doe. The last one saw me move. She was looking at me, bobbing her head up and down trying to make me out. Then she starts to walk away. Fearing the others would then follow her, I figure it's now or never. I slowly swing my gun around to my 4 o'clock, and shoot the first doe that gives me a shot. I shoot, and all four run away. I was apoplectic. How could I have missed? Texted my hunting buddy, he said don't get down from the stand.  Wait, I'll be there in 10 minutes.
He comes, I guide him to where I shot. He immediately finds blood. I get down and join the track. I wish I would have taken a picture. It wasn't a blood trail, it was a red carpet about 16" wide and 50 yards long. It turned out to be a classic double lung shot. Amazed it ran as far as it did. The terrain was very hilly with a small ravine and waterfall. We found it just before it would have gone down the ravine and into the creek.
He helped me with the drag back; it was an ordeal. The terrain was like a mini version of Ithaca. Very thankful for the help I got in getting it done.
PXL_20201212_155537683.thumb.jpg.c64dfbd9cdacb56735f54edb498533b1.jpg
PXL_20201212_165959007.thumb.jpg.c974f7a8b55e90c55417f0e176213c94.jpg

The goose is loose! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

With my 3rd deer down I’m hanging it up till October 1st 2021. This year I really felt my age (almost 63). I hunted every weekend in October killed an 8pt on the 24th with my bow. Then had all of November off I killed a big doe with my cross bow on the13th the first time I ever hunted with a cross bow. Then today I killed a nice doe with my 6mm Remington. I’m tired and sore.:drinks:

• Like 15

It's been a strange season for sure. I passed a number of small bucks and does with fawns, had a clean miss on a nice buck that was farther than I thought. And, played cat and mouse for days with a BIG bodied, wide rack 6 point. I got within 50- 60 yards of him several times but he always busted me. lol. 

The big buck I missed, the next day I accidentally bumped him into my neighbors after legal shooting time on my way back to the house and I believe they shot him. I won't get into that now because it still makes me mad and nothing I can do about it anyway. 

Today I saw nothing in the morning, and had decided I would take whatever buck came my way or a mature doe if she was alone. Then in the afternoon I got a later start than I wanted because  longtime friend/neighbor who I have not seen in years saw me in the yard and pulled in to talk. 

Because I was not going to get on stand until 2pm after our talk, I figured I would finish my season in comfort, deer or not. I settled into the middle of the same brushy island I shot my buck over last year. Rather than finish the season perched in the ladder stand, I plunked myself down in an old fold up lawn chair I had stashed in the island years ago. It made for the most comfortable seat I had all season. 

At 3:45 I caught her coming from the apple orchard bedding area to cross my brushy field,  headed for the cut over cornfield on my neighbors property several hundred acres away. The wind was in my favor but she sensed something was off and picked up her pace as she passed me broadside about 50 yards out. I had to practically turn myself around to keep up with her walking but thankfully it was my natural swing direction. 

When I got my red dot on her and shot I knew I hit her hard, because her whole body recoiled and her rear half of her body went so high in the air I thought she was going to somersault. When her feet hit the ground she exploded out of sight into the brush. 

I gave her 20 minutes just in case before getting up to look for sign I hit her. There was no hair, no blood that I could see,  so I picked one of the several trails that parallel each other going in the same direction she ran and walked slowly. Thankfully, about 60-70 yards was all she covered after the shot so it was an easy recovery, a perfect outcome. I even had my "blue" four wheeler parked in the same Island within eye sight of me and her. The hardest part of the hunt was getting her hung up by myself. 

So, unless I get out for one day with muzzle loader I guess my season is over for the year. My freezer may not be as full as most years, but my hunting season and memories are plentiful. 

fullsizeoutput_2ea.jpeg

pY+WABS2QViGI7pcmBSa6A.jpg

• Like 17

7 hours ago, 46rkl said:

Having a leisurely breakfast this morning when two shots go off from the back edge of my property where a buddy was hunting. A half hour later I text him to see what the story was and he had shot a doe but needed help tracking. Long story short, a half mile track and we finally caught up with her and made the kill shot. Helped drag her in and then went out to tag and take the head from the buck I shot a week ago and found last night. Nice nine point that wil make a nice euro mount. 
Back in the stand for the evening watch and the group leading the land behind mine are putting on a drive. Sounds like lots of people in it so I’m sitting on a sneak lane that leads off of their land onto mine. Could be fun!

E805A99B-C279-4064-A125-0D87E674423F.jpeg

I’m more impressed that he wasn’t completely bones in a Week let alone overnight. 

Yeah, the coyotes around here have had so many gut piles to feast on they’ve gotten picky. I’ve seen gut piles where the heart, liver and kidneys have been eaten and the rest left behind. A fox got ahold of the rear of the buck but no coyotes. I spent the morning after shooting him sitting in my tower blind looking for crows gathering but it seems even they are living high on the hog this time of the year. I can hear the coyotes howling every night around here but they are very careful to avoid much movement during the day.

• Like 1

I oopsied Friday thinking it was my last day of regular season thinking working today. But I’m off so Samantha and I down at Gman’s sitting in a non heated box blind in the rain and slight breeze. Hoping deerz decide to come feed on the remaining apples . #lastsecondtaghoping. Good luck y’all. 

• Like 8

Well, this is a tough one to write. I took a different path in from my evening sit tonite and came across the deer I thought I missed a week ago. Tears me up to have wasted the meat on such a nice buck but at least I know that I didn’t wound him or miss completely. Shot right thru the shoulder. No hair, no blood anywhere when I was searching. I walked within ten yards of him a couple of times while searching. This is a very large bodied deer. The rack looks small on such a big body. Coyotes got the hind end. I’ll take the head for a euro mount tomorrow and do an autopsy. Disgusted that I lost him, relieved that I didn’t miss. 
E0501A2F-13A7-422E-B773-15BA5060F09B.thumb.jpeg.bf4f813d6ce6f63365e99cf25ec823e5.jpeg

That sucks, was there an exit hole? What caliber and bullet were you using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunted Strewart State forest. I was totally shocked to see the deer heard has diminished in the area. Hunted a total of 9 days during regular season and only saw three deer WOW! I used to hunt area in the eighties and deer were all over. Since the state designated the land as a state forest no management at all. I've seen this with the ten mile river co-op many years ago. On opening day it was filled with hunters and one buck came out. There is absolutely no sign of deer-rubs, droppings, tracks etc. What Happened to thls place?

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic