LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

24 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Like I said little basket 8 couldn't be happier.  Almost gave up bowhunting 3 years ago nothing ever seemed to go right could never get on decent bucks but I stuck it out.  Bucks on this hill dont grow massive they are all pretty small.  He fell 3 yards from the one last year.  3 sits in this spot I found last summer resulted in 2 8s,and spotted 4 other 6 or better.  At the truck warning up and grabbing my cart for the mile walk back to him and back out.

And biz from the ground

20201030_093719.jpg

20201030_093703.jpg

Congratulations sir!!! Great buck!!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Like I said little basket 8 couldn't be happier.  Almost gave up bowhunting 3 years ago nothing ever seemed to go right could never get on decent bucks but I stuck it out.  Bucks on this hill dont grow massive they are all pretty small.  He fell 3 yards from the one last year.  3 sits in this spot I found last summer resulted in 2 8s,and spotted 4 other 6 or better.  At the truck warning up and grabbing my cart for the mile walk back to him and back out.

And biz from the ground

20201030_093719.jpg

20201030_093703.jpg

Congratulations! Your persistence paid off nicely!!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

And biz from the ground

it's never the size of the horns that should measure success. My favorite deer to date was a doe with the mz on public land. Way to go!

• Like 6

Hi guys, I shot a nice 8 point this morning, and could not find my arrow, (I looked for an hour and a half) so started looking for blood, and I found this on a tree tracking and then ended up jumping the buck. Does anyone know what this fleshy stuff is? Do you think it's a good sign he will go down? 

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bmaciewicz said:

Hi guys, I shot a nice 8 point this morning, and could not find my arrow, (I looked for an hour and a half) so started looking for blood, and I found this on a tree tracking and then ended up jumping the buck. Does anyone know what this fleshy stuff is? Do you think it's a good sign he will go down? 

Capture.JPG

Fat from a possible gut shot? Let him go for at least four more hours before taking up the track again.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, bmaciewicz said:

Capture.JPG

Looks like Caul fat.  @The_Real_TCIII

I'm with Grampy.  Back out from tracking.  Esp since it's light out.  Give it a few more hours and start tracking maybe 2 hours before dark. Looks like some sort of innerds for sure so would think gut shot.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bmaciewicz said:

30 yards, I was above him when I took the shot. I am not sure if these hairs will help at all

sad.jpg

You've got some brown on there, not all white, which isn't a bad thing. I would still give him sometime. The rain/snow isn't going to help things, but you don't want to push him. Did you find much blood where you jumped him? Hopefully he'll bed down and you can recover him.

3 minutes ago, bmaciewicz said:

30 yards, I was above him when I took the shot. I am not sure if these hairs will help at all

sad.jpg

Time to back out.  

the pink stuff in your previous pic is intestinal lining.  Wait till 3:30 and go back.  Wait till morning if coyotes are not a problem.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bmaciewicz said:

Capture.JPG

How did the ground look where he was bedded? How did the deer look when it ran off?

Edited by Jeremy K

39 minutes ago, bmaciewicz said:

Capture.JPG

That looks alot like the lining around the stomach/intestines.  I'd say mark the spot and back out.  Call deer search and get them to come in the morning, gut shot might be dead by then 

He needed to bed so that is huge .....shows he is injured and hurting. Hopefully he only went a couple 100 more yards and is now dead in his bed. Was that chuck on the exit or entrance side? Arrow may be still in him if that arrow pushed out the chunk but didn't have enough energy to exit the body cavity. Was the bed full of blood?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bmaciewicz said:

sad.jpg

My opinion is......Brown tips indicate mid body, but back, with a low exit wound through guts, hence the fat low on the bush. Usually the blood trail will  not be very good, as the fat will plug the holes. But that does not mean you can't recover this deer! He already looked to bed a short distance from where you shot him. If not bumped again, he may bed within a short distance of where you saw him last? A wound like this, is not survivable. The deer WILL die. Only question is how far will he go before sucomming? Give him plenty of time before going back in. Go easy. The blood trail may start good, but will likely peter out fairly quickly. Look for more pieces of fat, and small drops of blood. I would think he bedded again within 100 yards of where you saw him last. Again....just my opinion. Good luck!

Where are you located?

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, grampy said:

My opinion is......Brown tips indicate mid body, but back, with a low exit wound through guts, hence the fat low on the bush. Usually the blood trail will  not be very good, as the fat will plug the holes. But that does not mean you can't recover this deer! He already looked to bed a short distance from where you shot him. If not bumped again, he may bed within a short distance of where you saw him last? A wound like this, is not survivable. The deer WILL die. Only question is how far will he go before sucomming? Give him plenty of time before going back in. Go easy. The blood trail may start good, but will likely peter out fairly quickly. Look for more pieces of fat, and small drops of blood. I would think he bedded again within 100 yards of where you saw him last. Again....just my opinion. Good luck!

Where are you located?

Thank you for the thorough response. I shot him when there was barely any sunlight (right around 7 o'clock), I had a meeting at 10 that I had to get too so I had to get a move on. I was planning to head out there around 4, that will be well over 8 hours, do you think that is a safe amount of time? I am hunting in 6s

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic