LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Any update? Hope u got him

Negative. I looked for 8 hours today. I’m not giving up yet, just for today though. I’m waiting to hear back from a few people with tracking dogs. Hopefully something pans out. If not, I’ll be using my own nose for the next few days. He’s a dead deer, but the cover he is in is extremely thick and thorny. I’m exhausted and all cut up. Feel sick to my stomach as well. He was a good one...

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Quite a few sits and I’ve seen 2 bucks. A spike on opening day and this skipper today. He got in behind me and I heard him chewing an apple. He then peed for 30 seconds lol. I have on video ha ha 32e3b1179e25e383280a5890e7a0ae13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blurry pic. what was he?

3 minutes ago, tarheel95 said:

Sounds about right. It was definitely a few days into crossbow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yea. I had an awesome day 11/2 with xbow last year seeing 3 bucks in the morning before 8am. but then it was quiet for dad for a few days before ramping up 11/6 - 11/12

Did a bit of scouting this AM, checked a couple of non cell cams, good lord. I'm starting to feel like I shouldn't have filled my tag on Oct. 1st now. And to make matters worse I have had big buck pics under my stand for the last 3 mornings in a row during daylight. And new bucks are showing up every day, today's new buck is below... Resized95MFDC2622.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Did a bit of scouting this AM, checked a couple of non cell cams, good lord. I'm starting to feel like I shouldn't have filled my tag on Oct. 1st now. And to make matters worse I have had big buck pics under my stand for the last 3 mornings in a row during daylight. And new bucks are showing up every day, today's new buck is below... Resized95MFDC2622.jpg

I learned that unless it’s a slammer pass on Oct 1.   I had to watch one of the biggest I ever saw stroll by at 25yds during the rut when I tagged out Oct 1 2 years ago.  No complaints but I won’t do it again unless it’s a monster.  

• Like 2

I learned that unless it’s a slammer pass on Oct 1.   I had to watch one of the biggest I ever saw stroll by at 25yds during the rut when I tagged out Oct 1 2 years ago.  No complaints but I won’t do it again unless it’s a monster.  
That's what I'm doing from here on out. I don't regret killing my buck, just regret it happened so early. I haven't even hunted this property much because I don't want to have a stroke watching a huge buck walk right by and nothing I can do.

32 minutes ago, tarheel95 said:

You know you may have been out here too long when you have seen the same branch move in the wind and remain convinced it is a elk sized buck moving through.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

It's like those magic eye photos.  If you stare long enough you'll see the booner. Lol

4 minutes ago, chrisw said:

That's what I'm doing from here on out. I don't regret killing my buck, just regret it happened so early. I haven't even hunted this property much because I don't want to have a stroke watching a huge buck walk right by and nothing I can do.

Yep.   It discourages one from sitting.   

Had it happen years ago when the opener was Oct. 15th or around that date. Shot a buck that Sunday morning and hunted does for the remainder of the season. Right around the beginning of Nov. on an afternoon sit in some red brush had an absolute slammer walk by at 27 yards without a care in the world.......I actually drew in his direction to see if I could pull it off from this tri pod i was sitting in and he didn't budge.....was just checking the wind before he entered a mowed path. It was definitely a rush.....but made me think real hard about any early bucks that presented a shot. 

17 minutes ago, chrisw said:

But if I remember, you took a slammer on 10/1 right?

1 hour ago, NonTypical said:

Negative. I looked for 8 hours today. I’m not giving up yet, just for today though. I’m waiting to hear back from a few people with tracking dogs. Hopefully something pans out. If not, I’ll be using my own nose for the next few days. He’s a dead deer, but the cover he is in is extremely thick and thorny. I’m exhausted and all cut up. Feel sick to my stomach as well. He was a good one...

That sucks, hopefully you can find it, confirm it died and get the antlers.

If not, you gave it your all and can get another buck in range to try again.

Edited by Shoots100
  • Like 1

Out in 7F.  Tried to find a spot thats least likely to have a buck walk thru. Lol. Looking for a big fat nanny doe. But of course I have the ultimate big buck attractant there is ....a punched buck tag! So anytime I expect a monster.  Too nice not to be outside and I'm not racking leaves on a vacation day. 

IMG_20201104_152921209_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201104_152939400_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

But if I remember, you took a slammer on 10/1 right?
Yeah, He was a good buck for sure, and oddly enough it was a close to home spot and not even on either of our leases. I don't regret killing him really, I just wish it would've happened during the rut I guess. The woods are just so much more exciting then, and I would've definitely had opportunity at one just as big or bigger this week already. And I didn't mention that I've been off of work the entire season so far, we got furloughed at work in July. I actually just took a job today at a new place and start at the end of the month. So I would've literally had every single day to rut hunt. Oh well, weird year for me. But I am grateful for the buck I got.

• Like 1

Warm. Sunny. Swirling wind. I have no reason to believe that I have much of a chance of seeing, much less shooting, a nice buck. BUT, 0% chance of anything good happening if I waste the day doing work around the house. SO, out into the woods I find myself. Feels like I should have a fishing pole in my hands. 
Anyhow, the bucks are chasing so anything could happen. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Yeah, He was a good buck for sure, and oddly enough it was a close to home spot and not even on either of our leases. I don't regret killing him really, I just wish it would've happened during the rut I guess. The woods are just so much more exciting then, and I would've definitely had opportunity at one just as big or bigger this week already. And I didn't mention that I've been off of work the entire season so far, we got furloughed at work in July. I actually just took a job today at a new place and start at the end of the month. So I would've literally had every single day to rut hunt. Oh well, weird year for me. But I am grateful for the buck I got.

Just looked at the pic - he's a stud for sure!

• Like 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic