LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

But we have to see pics of you dressed as a Mario character??..... Lol thanks.
Just hacking on you. Your choice , non-issue .  Congrats on your deer or bloody arrow, or bear, or coyote or squatch you shot. Lol

Haha right? How do you score squatch btw? Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m up for Magic hour. The 2 or so acres of corn cut today. Good or bad ?

Ive seen it go both ways, they’ll be out picking up scraps but also with no place to hide the next few days should be dynamic. You’ll be wanting to catch them on their way to feed which shouldn’t differ all that from when it was standing.

• Like 1

OK, I was never so shaken at the shot as with this buck! Watched him come in below me for 80 yards. He came right up the trail to an intersection I ranged at 35yards. I let it fly and hit a little high. I watched him run down the hill zig and zagged a few times, tail up. looked like blood on the exit side as he spun and ran. Did not find the arrow, but I backed out quickly after I thought I saw some movement down the hill. Giving him until the morning. Not going to sleep much tonight...  It was already 49 when I left so I am confident it will be cool enough over night not to spoil the meat.

Edited by Don_C
  • Like 11

1 minute ago, Don_C said:

OK, I was never so shaken at the shot as with this buck! Watched him come in below me for 80 yards. He came right up the trail to an intersection I ranged at 35yards. I let it fly and hit a little high. I watched him run down the hill zig and zagged a few times, tail up. looked like blood on the exit side as he spun and ran. Did not find the arrow, but I backed out quickly after I thought I saw some movement down the hill. Giving him until the morning. Not going to sleep much tonight...  It was already 49 when I left so I am confident it will be cool enough over night not to spoil the meat.

Good luck, sounds like you’ll have a down buck in the morning. Never a bad  idea to play on the side of caution. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grampy said:

Congratulations to all who got one down today! Some real beauties!

Except for an hour and a half, I was in the woods dark to dark. In two WMUs 4H and 4J. Both excellent deer properties. Saw NOTHING!

Pretty dismal year so far.

You and me both . I’ve hunted this spot 32 years both gun and bow , if I go 3 sits with no deer I wonder what went wrong, as I see 4-8 deer most sits . This year most sits zero deer .

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Don_C said:

If the shot was too far back, waiting until tomorrow would be a good idea, but not so much if it was high.  If I was in your shoes, I would be out there now with a good flashlight.   Coyotes and warm temperature can wreck a lot of meat overnight.

If the arrow passed below the spine, you should find him, and if it passed above, he should heal up ok.  I see no advantage in waiting till tomorrow to find out how the story ends.  I dont think you will be able to sleep anyhow.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Don_C, seeing that buck will get the heart racing!

I sat all day, had a buck grunting and hounding a doe first thing, saw an eagle, had a coyote go by and pushed a doe out. Then a shooter came within 30 yards, but he stopped in the brush and went back the other way after crossing the coyote path.  I had a decent wide 7 pt come by at 2pm. He was broadside at 30 yards up on the hillside, but I passed, he'll be a nice deer next year.

• Like 1

If the shot was too far back, waiting until tomorrow would be a good idea, but not so much if it was high.  If I was in your shoes, I would be out there now with a good flashlight.   Coyotes and warm temperature can wreck a lot of meat overnight.
If the arrow passed below the spine, you should find him, and if it passed above, he should heal up ok.  I see no advantage in waiting till tomorrow to find out how the story ends.  I dont think you will be able to sleep anyhow.

I mean if it passed above the spine then he missed outright...

• Like 2

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic