LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

1 hour ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Just got busted by a big chocolate rack 8 point. He snuck up behind me. Lots of deer so far. Had three little bucks under 20. Lots of chasing here in 8F. 

Buddy in Palmyra saw one spike , I’ve had four doe 300 yards out and one young buck 50 yards behind me in Canandaigua.

its dead here 

18 hours ago, Judoka95 said:

Taco, I just got over the VID, I gave it to my wife. Luckily the kids were spared. We only had flu like symptoms. Hope you get over it soon. The woods are a good place to quarantine.

How long did you have flu like symptoms? I was sick for 3 days, started getting better and now going backwards. 

Sat til about 8:30 in that new spot I have that's close to home. This is my 8th sit this season. The habitat looks great. It's a good mix of open areas with standing hardwoods, and thick brushy areas. When I got down, the land owner came over to chat. He shot a small buck in that area last night, but didn't recover. I asked him where he hit it, how it reacted, etc.. He says he isn't sure where he hit it because the light was fading and his eyesight isn't what it used to be. He says the deer jumped when he hit it and ran off about 30 yards, then walked out of site over a little ridge. We checked the shot site, no blood and no arrow. We walked for a bit along the path he thought it ran. No blood. We did a small grid search from the shot site and eventually found the arrow about 30 yards away. There was blood and a little hair and some meat on it, no guts and no smell. The blood went up probably 8 or 9 inches. I asked again where he thought he hit it and he said he didn't know. I asked where he aimed and he said the middle of the body. He's about 70 and says he shot 3 times and missed, then he shot again and the 4th time he hit it. I told him that I couldn't tell where he hit it and wasn't sure if it was a lethal hit or not. I also told him that, if i were him, I'd spend some time practicing with my bow before going back out. because if the scope is off, he can't make effective, ethical shots on game. We spent a little more time looking around where the arrow was but didn't see any blood. I'm hoping it was just a flesh wound and that the deer will be ok. 

Edited by Bolt action
  • Sad 1

No deer seen since 7:40 and a red fox at 10. Cams show doe in here from 11 to 1. If nothing by noon I'm hopping to another stand about 300 yds SW of here for a few hours then back here. Wind is screwy but so am I at this point

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Buddy in Palmyra saw one spike , I’ve had four doe 300 yards out and one young buck 50 yards behind me in Canandaigua.

its dead here 

This morning had just about everything going for it, mid nov, cold, hard frost, light wind and zero deer. I got my son up extra early telling him it was gonna be a great morning. Wrong again:-(

Edited by Zag

40 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

How long did you have flu like symptoms? I was sick for 3 days, started getting better and now going backwards. 

I had the same thing happen. Body aches, chills, fatigue,  and chest congestion for 3 days. Started feeling better for a few then started to get a persistent cough that lasted for another week. The cough hung around a while and I was sleeping about 10-12 hours a night for 2 weeks.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Judoka95 said:

Not the biggest doe ever but this is the first archery deer in a long time and the first archery deer on my new property.

Meat in the freezer!!!

20201113_090027.jpg

Ok, here's the story. A small buck came through around 7:30 right in front of me at about 50 yards, I was watching him walk off when this doe came crashing through the woods behind me. She stopped 20 yards from my stand and calmed down. She milled around until she was right under me, she stopped and dropped a deuce at the base of my tree and I wasn't going to let her disrespect me like that. She walked out to about 30 yards and turned broadside. Hit her a little high but caught the lungs. Good blood easy track. She only went about 60 yards.

• Like 17

7 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Blow back at her, my buddy swears by it lol. He says they stop

Upwind if they only see a little movement i try that too. Also downwind doesn't mean she can smell you. Thermals climb into the air and often times your smell rises with it. I do hate calling from a tree because deer are good at locating it and also there are no ground noise in your calling. I like to call from the ground rough up leaves break sticks but its tough to hide with a  bow. Sometimes the deer come in as your climbing. Its a crapshoot!

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

its dead here 

Thats pretty surprising even with the warm weather we have had. I've only gotten out for two mornings so far this year and the movement has been great. 

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

Anybody still out here with me or are all the smart ones at home? Moved to a late season stand for midday. Lots of sign but it's going to be quick if something comes in here. Had to stretch the legs and get a change of scenery.

Anybody still out here with me or are all the smart ones at home? Moved to a late season stand for midday. Lots of sign but it's going to be quick if something comes in here. Had to stretch the legs and get a change of scenery.

Stickin it out till dark. Seasons winding down and the conditions are perfect. Gotta be up in a tree. Plus, now that college classes are online... I could attend while In a tree lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Drizzling a bit here still, but the clouds are lightening up, should be done soon.  Should I sit that spot?  Or head over to the hemlocks on the side of the hill....  That doe that came out last night proves there's deer bedding near the hot spot.  But the hemlocks had 2 nice scrapes near my stand.....  Decisions decisions

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic