The Jerkman

LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

2 hours ago, Belo said:

Sure it does, a small doe is just as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not as "good" because they don't come with the two appetizers, and also usually run considerably smaller.

I have never personally killed one, but I did eat one that a neighbor gave me a few years ago.  I will agree with you that they taste the same.

• Like 1

Looks like a Great Opening Day for lots of Hunters ! Hopefully everyone's safe .... we have a long season ahead of - Stay Safe - !

• Like 1

Answer to No One !

Well it was a shit show on stateland for me, I've never seen even half the amount of hunters on the piece I hunt and the kicker.........not one shot all day! Probably head to my brothers tomorrow for a bow hunt, after Sunday I'll head back to stateland. 

Congratulations to all the hunters who harvested an animal, especially that huge bear (very cool). Keep the pictures coming it's great motivation for those of us having a slow year.

• Like 2

Well, I got skunked today, but my hunting buddy who joined me for the afternoon shot this guy within 5 minutes of getting in the stand. Best buck he's ever taken, and best buck ever taken from my land. We think this is the same buck he ran into last Saturday. It must of had a harem he was servicing.

silence-2020-11-21-171631.jpg

silence-2020-11-21-171616.jpg

• Like 34

3 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Congrats to all who scored today..I wasn't even gonna go today,i am behind at work and thought i would catch up. My neighbor texted me last night and said you gotta go on opening day. Well,i woke up early so figured i would give it a few hrs. I had to get all my muzzleloader stuff together and find the orange vest and hat. 

My plan was to sit by a swamp,but i decided to take the long way round on my way there to check for vehicles,see who else was around. I saw a group of doe heading from low ground to high. A little further down the road a nice buck crossed,also going from low to high ground. So i switched my plan and went to a point on a north south ridge. 

I got in in the dark and once it got light i saw it wasn't quite the spot i wanted. I moved slowly closer to the point and stood there for a while. I was debating dropping to a lower bench on the leeward side of the ridge but then i wouldn't be able to see the top. Right then this guy pops up onto the top,nose to the ground..I was downwind and had plenty of time to rest my gun on a tree and pick a spot. He stopped briefly and i shot. I thought I saw him mule kick through the smoke and he took off. 

I lost sight of him but thought he crashed. I gave it some time and then followed the trail. He was bigger than i thought,rack-wise. By far the biggest racked buck i have gotten,but i think he is only 2.5 years old. What do you guys think? 18.5" spread,i am in 4F.

20201121_075250.jpg

20201121_075303.jpg

20201121_075902.jpg

Great buck!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Well, I got skunked today, but my hunting buddy who joined me for the afternoon shot this guy within 5 minutes of getting in the stand. Best buck he's ever taken, and best buck ever taken from my land. We think this is the same buck he ran into last Saturday. It must of had a harem he was servicing.

silence-2020-11-21-171631.jpg

silence-2020-11-21-171616.jpg

That’s a giant.  I can’t imagine a friend taking that off of my property!

What part of the state?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FLXmatt said:

That’s a giant.  I can’t imagine a friend taking that off of my property!

What part of the state?

Porter, Niagara County, 9A. I think the buck was confused and lost, myself.

Decided I'd had enough sitting, so I took the rifle for a walk this afternoon.  Saw a donkey Doe, but it wasn't a great shot so I passed.  Walked about 6 miles I think, found some interesting sign.  Then chilled with my dad and his buddy with the poor aim by the fire for a while.  His buddy had a heart transplant, so he's thankful to be there, and who knows how many more years my dad will be doing this.  So, no deer but still a good day.

• Like 8

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

Well it was a shit show on stateland for me, I've never seen even half the amount of hunters on the piece I hunt and the kicker.........not one shot all day! Probably head to my brothers tomorrow for a bow hunt, after Sunday I'll head back to stateland. 

Congratulations to all the hunters who harvested an animal, especially that huge bear (very cool). Keep the pictures coming it's great motivation for those of us having a slow year.

I knew it was gonna be nuts when I couldn't get a coffee at any drive through between Clarence and Ashville. Lines around the building

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I knew it was gonna be nuts when I couldn't get a coffee at any drive through between Clarence and Ashville. Lines around the building

Timmy’s on route 16 at around 5 am was nuts. So you didn’t score any plain donuts ?

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

Mrs Nomad hands me  a Yeti of coffee and an egg sandwich, as I walk out the door at 5:15 .

• Like 2

Passed several small bucks this morning and afternoon. Did manage to get my NDA (QDMA) Field to Fork mentee his first deer. A nice mature doe. I coaches him threw it and he did great. Perfect heart shot!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 7

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upper Hudson River Valley QDMA

Sat in my tower from dawn till dusk.. Passed on a spike and a forkie and also saw one small doe....Possibly the LEAST amount of shooting I have ever heard on opening day....Congrats to the guys and gals that got it done today  !!...

Late posting but with 5 min to spare I took a medium size doe. About 60 yards and I punched her right through the heart. She mule kicked and went 30 yards before piling up. No pictures as it was to dark to take a good one. My new enclosed stand was fantastic. I dressed real light and turned on the heater when needed. Never even put gloves on.

• Like 13

Slow day here in 9h. No deer sightings. Maybe the last hour will produce?
What part of 9h.....we are over in Collins. Between 4 guys 2 doe were taken in the morning and only 2 small bucks seen in the afternoon sit. First time maybe in all my opening years I didn't hear a shot super early.....I think the first shot actually came after 7am.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Congratulations to all who got it done today!!

Some fine looking bucks and doe's!!!

Very quiet day for me. Saw two deer all day. Very few shots close by, so I'm probably not the only one locally to have a slow day? Little less wind tomorrow, and from a different direction. So maybe things will pick up? We'll see.

• Like 1

Timmy’s on route 16 at around 5 am was nuts. So you didn’t score any plain donuts ?

Nope I went in cold turkey, NO COFFEE!

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Congrats to all that punched tags today. 

Day was slow saw one about 100yards out at 930.  Saw a hunter at 230 which suprised me because I was so far out. he waved and went the opposite way in a hurry.  Then finally at 425 had a buck running a doe around at 80yards.  It was so dark in that hemlock swamp i couldn't tell what it was.  

Group ended up with 2  does.  Total deer spotted between everyone was  45 deer everyone on stateland minus 1 who saw 15 at his fil.  

Picture is my nephews doe.  50 yards waited for her to turn broadside double lung and top of the heart.  Very proud of him.

20201121_215114.jpg

• Like 16

Sort of glad I’m a way to hear others mention the lack of shooting. Thought it was just us. With the rona, thought more would be out moving them. Weird year behavior wise.

• Like 1

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

21 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Congrats to all that punched tags today. 

Day was slow saw one about 100yards out at 930.  Saw a hunter at 230 which suprised me because I was so far out. he waved and went the opposite way in a hurry.  Then finally at 425 had a buck running a doe around at 80yards.  It was so dark in that hemlock swamp i couldn't tell what it was.  

Group ended up with 2  does.  Total deer spotted between everyone was  45 deer everyone on stateland minus 1 who saw 15 at his fil.  

Picture is my nephews doe.  50 yards waited for her to turn broadside double lung and top of the heart.  Very proud of him.

I was thankful for my third consecutive southern zone opener swamp edge deer today. Dragging them bastards out of the swamp is no picnic though. At least the water was lower this year, after the drought thru the summer.  I did not see any today until 10:00.  

• Like 1

Nope I went in cold turkey, NO COFFEE!

Hope you ate breakfast. Took a picture today just for you. Let me know when you want it cold packed and shipped. Youll wrap it up with something delicious im sure. Just like bacon grease.

e2694dd0048ccbf22903d8484147cd69.jpg

• Like 3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upper Hudson River Valley QDMA

Hope you ate breakfast. Took a picture today just for you. Let me know when you want it cold packed and shipped. Youll wrap it up with something delicious im sure. Just like bacon grease.

e2694dd0048ccbf22903d8484147cd69.jpg&key=2338649d99d9d012366e27633ad882c80e9ff0c388517ca2a80d4476f95222a3

Good eating there

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk