LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

46 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Deer check was closed on 16 when I drove by sunday ,not sure if budget cuts or covid was the reason .

Has that been open in recent years? I remember that one and theyd also have a bunch of scouts do it at Transit near the 400. Cool stuff IMO, and Im sure they cant do it anymore

20 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Haven’t seen a thing, so I took a portrait of lunch.  Ham/Salami/swiss sammich.

I did hear what sounded like a LOUD snort wheeze.  I have never heard that in person, but have heard it on videos. Isn’t that a buck intimidation tactic? 

6740D281-9352-4DAF-984C-7FDAB57BFEF0.jpeg

I've heard a snort wheeze twice in my hunting career..   Both times there was a subsequent epic battle that left me saying Wow!!   It amazes me how strong these animals are when their dominance and survival instincts come out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mid-day movement! Left the house at 12:15. Shot this one at 12:30 while working my way to my stand. Momma busted me and jumped into the brush but this one wasn’t as decisive and now I’ve got some real good eating meat for the freezer. Field dressed her and I’m now sitting in my stand for the afternoon. 

3E656E93-E577-4C8B-8367-E197B4D6C792.jpeg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Wildcat said:

I've heard a snort wheeze twice in my hunting career..   Both times there was a subsequent epic battle that left me saying Wow!!   It amazes me how strong these animals are when their dominance and survival instincts come out.

Were you wearing some doe in heat scent that caused the epic "WOW"?

2 hours ago, Bionic said:

Haven’t seen a thing, so I took a portrait of lunch.  Ham/Salami/swiss sammich.

I did hear what sounded like a LOUD snort wheeze.  I have never heard that in person, but have heard it on videos. Isn’t that a buck intimidation tactic? 

only once in 15+ years of hunting and it was one of the biggest bucks I've seen ready to fight with another buck that most guys would mount. If you hear a snort weeze it's game time with some brutes.

I'll add that I added a snort wheeze to my pouch and used it a few years ago after a bedded down buck wouldn't move no matter how much I grunted and bleated. Hit the wheeze and he stood right up and took one in the boiler maker. I think they're a great last resort hail mary. 

In fact, last night walking to my  truck through an orchard I hit up 3 sets of eyes glowing in my headlamp. I grunted and grunted and they even started to slowly walk towards me. Not wanting to spook them, at about 25 yards I hit the wheeze and they bolted like someone hit them with a hot poker. 

9 minutes ago, Belo said:

only once in 15+ years of hunting and it was one of the biggest bucks I've seen ready to fight with another buck that most guys would mount. If you hear a snort weeze it's game time with some brutes.

I'll add that I added a snort wheeze to my pouch and used it a few years ago after a bedded down buck wouldn't move no matter how much I grunted and bleated. Hit the wheeze and he stood right up and took one in the boiler maker. I think they're a great last resort hail mary. 

In fact, last night walking to my  truck through an orchard I hit up 3 sets of eyes glowing in my headlamp. I grunted and grunted and they even started to slowly walk towards me. Not wanting to spook them, at about 25 yards I hit the wheeze and they bolted like someone hit them with a hot poker. 

Thanks for taking the time to share some knowledge with me.  I am not 100% sure if that is what it was, but it reminded me of that, I did not see any deer at all.  

1 minute ago, DDT said:

You didn't send me the Buck you saw yet, it should have been here by now. Snow may have slowed him down.

Didn’t see him again so I left a note on the propane tank. Give him time.
That buck had an ass like Kim Kardashian. That’s mostly what I saw as he ran straight away from me. Two bounds and in the woods. Rack, ass, rack, ass. I think he was trying to tell me something. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Belo said:

Belo, I had a similar experience with a buck snort wheezing. Last day of bow season I shot a nice 10 pt at 8am. I must have hit a branch as i gut shot him and therefore I knew i was in for a long wait b4 I started to track him. So 2 hours later I'm still sitting in my stand as it was a beautiful day and I was not in any hurry to go anywhere when all of a sudden I spot this buck coming towards me, at 1st I thought it was my buck coming back so I readied to try and get another arrow in him. Well it wasn't him but a HUGE 8 pt! As he got close to where the buck i shot was standing he started to snort wheeze! It was so loud and he snorted at least 10x! It took me a minute to realize what the hell  was going on but he was trying to call out my buck for a fight! I think I went right out that night and bought a snort wheeze call. Unfortunately I've never had the perfect scenario to use it since? But what an experience it was!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Didn’t see him again so I left a note on the propane tank. Give him time.
That buck had an ass like Kim Kardashian. That’s mostly what I saw as he ran straight away from me. Two bounds and in the woods. Rack, ass, rack, ass. I think he was trying to tell me something. 

That you like racks and ass

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just got off the phone with my wife.  She's got a half day Wednesday so I'll be getting up at noon and heading to the only private piece I hunt.  Haven't been there since my brothers deer the first week of November so hoping they've been pushed in and are hanging out.  Theres 2 6s I know of and a couple 8s. Plus a pile of does on camera so hoping one comes out.

10 hours ago, Chef said:

I thought you were done with this pushing to other people business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my.buddy we push for each other . He is still learning how to.push the. . It was nice to be out with someone . I dont like hunting by myself . I get  to lonely . Start missing family that is.gone .

• Like 1

Bumped a buck trying to find a glove lost when I took the bear last night. 

Gave em a good yell  he paused and gave a broadside, but my standing game at 40y wasn't on point in the cold and I completely missed, fellow hunter walking back to his car confirmed the buck bounding across his path 200 yards away with no issues. 

2 hours of looking for blood and a bad hit yielded nothing. Worried that was my chance this year :(

If there was one word for today it would be WIND! I went out after the rain let up and sat in my fencerow spot overlooking an empty pasture. I stayed there until around 11:30 when the wind picked up and started hitting me in the face, making my contacts start to dry out. 
I moved to another spot in a ridgeline that I had scouted out.  My scouting trip showed a older small scrape and a small rub, along with recent tracks. I came in from the other side today, and found a fairly fresh scrape (a day or 2 old) and a recentish and larger rub. After setting up by 12:15, the wind was a constant until I got down, completely skunked for the day at 4:30. 
I’m not sure when I’ll be able to get out next. With the holiday upcoming, and plans to start potty training our toddler, I’m out for at least a week I’d say. Good luck to everyone still hitting the woods!

1B0B8F25-CA9D-444B-9998-0E752C42DEA0.jpeg

28741110-E84D-4E72-A42E-67931BB41226.jpeg

67C0FCBD-38C1-469D-8403-484EB6B88658.jpeg

0E286EE0-B640-42B6-BFEE-4F7060423525.jpeg

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic