LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Still licking my wounds from yesterday's miss so slept in. Got in shower and my side hurt by my waist band. Yup, tick embedded. Son of a bitch. Same thing happened last year. How they get under the layers of clothes sprayed with Peremthrin is beyond me. PSA to check yourself.

Leaving in an hour to head to camp in 4W until Sunday. Should be 8 of us hunting so hopefully will get some deer moving. Looking for Bucks as I filled my doe tag. Good luck to everyone this weekend and looking forward to catching up when back in cell service Sunday.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am going to stick it out until around 11:30, then go back up to the house for lunch.  Yesterday's store-bought turkey was ok, but I am really looking forward to half the "organic" liver from Saturday's free-range 6-point. After 6 days in the fridge, it ought to be real tender, when I fry it up with some onions.

After that, I got an exhaust leak to work on, with my Wife's van, then its back out for the afternoon sit. No deer seen yet this morning, but I did hear 3 shots within a few hundred yards.

Hopefully, the drivers will kick out a few antletless deer after lunch. I have (4) 9f dmp's to work with.  I would be happy to punch just one, especially if it was on a tasty bb.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Water Rat said:

I’ve been out every morning of the gun season and still haven’t seen a deer. I’ve only heard 2 shots go off in this time. This is getting pretty discouraging to say the least. But congratulations to all the successful hunters here....some of you guys shot some really nice bucks.

I'm sorry this is your experience.  When I feel like I'm stuck in a rutt I just grab the 1100 and start still hunting local public land. Some times we need a change of pace or some new stuff to look at. Take the war to them if they aren't taking it to you. Good luck and have fun.

8 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

I'm sorry this is your experience.  When I feel like I'm stuck in a rutt I just grab the 1100 and start still hunting local public land. Some times we need a change of pace or some new stuff to look at. Take the war to them if they aren't taking it to you. Good luck and have fun.

I'm sitting this afternoon and if I dont see anything tomorrow morning the 500 20 with open sights is coming out and I'm going in to find them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Grab a bbq, knife & fork.  Have at it!!!!

Good luck that’s going to be a chore. Take it slow, no sense in getting hurt. 

Yes, pace yourself. I know all about dragging a deer full of guts out of the water.  It is certainly no picnic.  Once you reach the high ground and get the guts out, it will go a little easier.

Edited by wolc123

4 hours ago, FLXmatt said:

Beat this for a bad morning - drove an hour to hunt an exciting new property.  In my stand by 6:00.  Slight shift and my shotgun fell 20’ to the ground, fully loaded.  Luckily didn’t go-off, but broke the stock and ended my hunting this morning.  I’ll sit quietly until after sunrise to take off.  I’ll drive the hour back for another weapon to return this afternoon.

Thankful that I wasn’t injured.

That happened to me a few years ago. Two things I did subsequently: 1) have a backup gun with you (leave in the vehicle--potential risks, I know) and 2) I bring two plastic spring clams (see pic below) and clamp them on the sides of the shooting rail, about 3/4 of the way up. It makes for a gun cradle when I am not holding the gun in my armpit and hand.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Nothing but some squirrels and crows. Even the guy heading in to duck hunt only fired off maybe three shots down in the swamp. In and set by 6:20AM, packed it in at 10:30AM.

6:45AM

645.jpg.1ad955179231e2c5cf36d7a7319e5b31.jpg

10:00AM Slightly bored.................

10.jpg.0627f0d668e7aaf82e2edc2f6bfe84f6.jpg

Edited by DirtTime

Catching up....Congrats on some more beautiful deer.....and especially you guys with your kids with you!

7 of us hunted the lease yesterday morning and not one of us saw a deer. We haven't taken a single buck. Worse year ever....

Happy Belated Thanksgiving to you all....

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic