LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

2 hours ago, Belo said:

Anyone unload their mz with a rod instead of a shot to avoid cleaning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, pull the breech plug and push out the bullet and pellets with the rod.  I only use those "used" pellets for practice.  This works very good with pellets but is a little messier with loose powder.  I think I will stick with 777 pellets until they start making blackhorn 209 in pellets for this reason.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

Well this sh!t show is over .Saw  two doe one buck as I was walking out . Crazy year and perhaps a good re set for me . I always just assumed taking bucks was a given , good spot lots of free time , the two biggest factors by far . I don’t do land improvements , food plots, cell cameras , I don’t pre season scout for the most part . My hats off to, guys who take deer in areas of low deer populations , and may not  have a lot of time to hunt , they may very well be the best hunters on here . 

Well the freezer is full partly due to friends , and I just got a supply of food from Patriot Supply ( 25 year shelf life ) so we’re good .

• Like 4

Got out of the blind around 4:42 and was going to shoot the ole muzzy so my boys could see it......well pulled the hammer back and just a click of the primer. Duped by damp powder.....thank God we didn't have brown in the crosshairs....but still frustrating. Then around 4:46 steps out three real nice doe....two were donkey doe and shooters all day.....but they get to live another season!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I had a miss tonight, it was sort of a hang fire and I flinched big time. It's never happened with the this Encore. Don't know if it was powder or primer or what. I am going back in the morning to be 100% sure but I watched her bound off and go a ways. I also saw a real nice buck on my way out. What a great season! 290ade774d94ed5afd887ff9b3a452f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Despite the high winds of 20 mph I took the climber out and sat until dark. About 4:15 I see three deer coming through the woods about 60 yards away. Put the glasses on them and one was a buck walking with a limp. He was a young buck with a decent size 6 point rack. I decided then if he came my way I would take a shot because I knew he was hurt. The two doe with him came in and stood less than 20 yards from my tree and kept looking his way. The one was real small and the other one was not an adult but possibly big enough to shoot. I am looking at her standing broadside at 15 yds. or so thinking about a shot and decided to wait for the buck. Sure enough here he comes but stays just far enough away I can't get a shot.

The doe start to wander away and after they are out of sight he starts to move in their direction. I draw back take aim and bleat tryin to stop him to no avail. Finally he stops,  I let the arrow fly but can't tell if I hit him or not. By now it is 4:30 and I am wishing I didn't take the shot because of darkness coming on.

I climb down just as the alarm goes off for sunset and go look for the arrow. Luckily it was a clean miss so I am pretty sure I shot underneath him. No hair or blood on the arrow so he lives another day. Glad to end the season with some action and not leaving a deer in the woods with a bad hit. A clean miss is always better than a bad hit.

Congrats to all that scored today and the entire season.

IMG_20201222_153435[1].jpg

IMG_20201222_163140[1].jpg

IMG_20201222_153327[1].jpg

• Like 4

What took you so long ? WTG.  Had faith in you brother.  Way to hang in there !!

If the deer was for me, I might have thrown in the towel by now! Every year, I give my brother the first deer I get. He doesn’t hunt, but loves venison. I make sure he’s set, before I put meat in my own freezer. This year, I was expecting a good gun season with new property to hunt, so I wasn’t worried about getting him one later! Boy was I wrong!! I’ve hunted my ass off and this was the first deer I’ve seen since Nov. 16,when I scored with my bow! VERY thankful to get this meat for him!!

First deer killed on MY property too! Just moved in 2 weeks ago! Also, first kill with the new muzzleloader!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

As many know I was contemplating heading up to camp this past Friday  because of the snow but with some of your convincing I headed up 6am on Friday and got to camp at 9:30am. Let's just say that when I called a local agway to see how much snow was at camp they were spot on, we got dumped 2+ ft. of snow. I had my dad and mom with me, both over 80. My pickup was not gonna make it up the hill. Left mom and dad on road in the heated truck as I treked up the driveway in snow past my knees. The driveway goes uphill then turns right and is 150 yards or so long. Got into camp after digging out the door so that I can get the fire started for my parents. Gotta be honest the hardest part was digging out the tractor from the barn, with snowdrifts the barn doors were blocked with 3ft of snow. Once out the tractor made fastwork of clearing the driveway. Within a half hour my parents were inside a warm cabin. Next task was getting to my treestands, the first trek to each stand was the hardest but each time I went to the stand it got easier as I was packing the snow down.   All in all in the last 4 1/2 days of hunting I had seen atleast 20 does and button bucks.  Didn't want to cut my trip short, so I opted to wait to kill this big ole doe on the last hour of the last day, today.  Made a nice 90 yard shot with the ML as she was feeding in one of my plots with another doe., I still can't believe she actually went 100 yards before she dropped.. Let's just say it was not easy getting her to the road by myself. Much easier with the jet sled but it was still very ruff, pulled her about 150 yards on a logging road, then had to drop down 40ft into a ditch, cross a stream and pull her back up the ditch on the other side. She's all butchered and in the freezer thanks to the help of mom and dad. Truly blessed, 4 deer, 2 bucks and 2 does. Was another great year, Merry Xmas all and stay safe.

20201222_164105.jpg

20201222_163908.jpg

20201222_163856.jpg

• Like 32

5 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

As many know I was contemplating heading up to camp this past Friday  because of the snow but with some of your convincing I headed up 6am on Friday and got to camp at 9:30am. Let's just say that when I called a local agway to see how much snow was at camp they were spot on, we got dumped 2+ ft. of snow. I had my dad and mom with me, both over 80. My pickup was not gonna make it up the hill. Left mom and dad on road in the heated truck as I treked up the driveway in snow past my knees. The driveway goes uphill then turns right and is 150 yards or so long. Got into camp after digging out the door so that I can get the fire started for my parents. Gotta be honest the hardest part was digging out the tractor from the barn, with snowdrifts the barn doors were blocked with 3ft of snow. Once out the tractor made fastwork of clearing the driveway. Within a half hour my parents were inside a warm cabin. Next task was getting to my treestands, the first trek to each stand was the hardest but each time I went to the stand it got easier as I was packing the snow down.   All in all in the last 4 1/2 days of hunting I had seen atleast 20 does and button bucks.  Didn't want to cut my trip short, so I opted to wait to kill this big ole doe on the last hour of the last day, today.  Made a nice 90 yard shot with the ML as she was feeding in one of my plots with another doe., I still can't believe she actually went 100 yards before she dropped.. Let's just say it was not easy getting her to the road by myself. Much easier with the jet sled but it was still very ruff, pulled her about 150 yards on a logging road, then had to drop down 40ft into a ditch, cross a stream and pull her back up the ditch on the other side. She's all butchered and in the freezer thanks to the help of mom and dad. Truly blessed, 4 deer, 2 bucks and 2 does. Was another great year, Merry Xmas all and stay safe.

Congratulations! Great day with your folks!

• Like 1

Beauty of a morning....light wind and all settled in. Hope they are moving this am.....can hunt till mid morning hoping to capitalize on the new extended late season in the southern zone.
P.S......thank you DEC for giving us some extra time hunt.
Had to go with new powder after the misfire last night.....so I am ready and waiting.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

20201222_164105.jpg

20201222_163908.jpg

20201222_163856.jpg

Congrats :) 

• Like 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic