LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

On 1/21/2021 at 8:49 AM, Belo said:

bushy tails are frustrating this time of year. We see them all fall in the deer woods and figure it'll be easy to get 2 or 3 no problem, yet once they're done gathering they're not nearly as active. I find late day or early morning best. Even better if you can find a nice sunny calm day in January or February they seem to be out and about. But windy and overcast (which is most of our days) they're not nearly as active. 

I was checking traps Saturday when it was 15 degrees at 7:30am and there were squirrels everywhere, I could have gotten four or five. I was surprised they were so active

Well now I know why 7 then 3 more from a bit over came out . 7 were bedded together. Tracks everywhere in here .

and I mean knee deep, that rip is on my knee.....

690A5520-9522-4EEB-9DFA-7538306F8FC1.jpeg

134DE3E5-CC96-4444-BBE7-03FAB28D59D0.jpeg

25D7B56C-A3C3-4909-9D9B-F0B1EFF0333F.jpeg

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 3

With all lousy weather coming with high winds, possible rain, etc. I strapped on the x-country skis for the first time this year and took a little cruise for about 1 1/2 miles. Tough going cutting trail all the way but definitely a nice day to be out. Didn't see any live critters but lots of deer tracks. Looks like they are foraging pretty hard and working to get something to eat. I really expected to see some canine tracks but not a one.

The only other tracks seen were one set of possum  and some turkey tracks. Looks like the turkeys are having a tough time of it and are walking single file because they can't walk on top yet without breaking through.

They seem to have stablished their own trails and are sticking to them to and from the fields.

Great day be out but I couldn't do it like Nomad. When the snow is like this it is either skis or snowshoes for me.

Nothing like a sunny day with virgin snow:fan:

IMG_20210204_122936[1].jpg

IMG_20210204_121356[1].jpg

IMG_20210204_122944[1].jpg

IMG_20210204_124927[1].jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 3:03 PM, Steve D said:

Great day be out but I couldn't do it like Nomad. When the snow is like this it is either skis or snowshoes for me.

Ya, took me three hours , and when the truck was in view it was torture getting to it ! I used to cross country ski , I loved It but arthritis in the balls of both feet put an end to that . I really want to go again and swap cards, there’s a snowmobile trail that runs along my spot I may try that for easier walking if it’s packed down .

even in snow shoes I hardly made it very far. I'm in pretty good shape and my quads were burning. Nothing but birds and some deer tracks in that deep snow. Unless we get a good melt, I'm not sure I'll get a good crack at the squirrels this year. Spent the good weather doing deer season prep and sorta bummed that the season ends next weekend.

Up having coffee then heading up to property.checking cam and hoping some of those pesky red squirrels are moving around.40 deg and mainly sunny today,cant think of a better way to enjoy the morning..

bringing the pump .410 with me and dad will have dbl barrel 20ga as going to try for crow while out aswell

Went looking for some bushy tails and pulling trail cams for the first time in a long time Saturday. A little too much snow and wind for squirrels, but a beautiful day and enjoyed the few hours of quite hiking... despite the trespasser tracks who beat me in by a few hours. no pics of his head but from chest below walking around with a shotgun...

Went back sunday to cut a trail to a future stand location. Really love onX for this. I track all my walking and walk deer runs and I can then go home and take a high level look on the computer. Go back to the woods and then look for a tree. Combo of woodsmanship and technology to work smarter and not harder.

Of course I brought my 2 oldest and the younger slipped on thin swamp/puddle ice and dunked a whole leg and boot cutting my scouting short. Felt bad as I got more annoyed than I should have, and caught myself acting like my father when afterall he's a kid. Just sucks to drive over and hike in and then lose some valuable time.

Positive note, all 3 shooter/mounter bucks made it through and there are some nice 8's that were probably 2.5 that made it.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Of course I brought my 2 oldest and the younger slipped on thin swamp/puddle ice and dunked a whole leg and boot cutting my scouting short. Felt bad as I got more annoyed than I should have, and caught myself acting like my father when afterall he's a kid. Just sucks to drive over and hike in and then lose some valuable time.
Positive note, all 3 shooter/mounter bucks made it through and there are some nice 8's that were probably 2.5 that made it.

We have all been there....on the positive side you realized what you did wrong and probably won't do it anymore. My boys are 4 and 6 and have dunked in a few ditches and creeks over the years. I yell...they laugh at me and we move on! Lol.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Was a beautiful night, saw a few rabbit eyes glowing but that was it. Found that my blind that made it all fall and winter blew away, so I sat there in the chair a lot more exposed than I would have like, still no return vocals so nots sure it mattered. Went back for a hike and prep work today and found it about 800 yards away hung up in a hedgerow, looks to be undamaged too.

IMG_0358.thumb.jpeg.c32075f7eb565a1c4e88e6304192c390.jpeg

Edited by Belo
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Belo said:

haha pulled some cameras yesterday. This sums up my squirrel hunting season pretty well

IMG_0364.thumb.JPEG.32f734ca354f8aead615597ccf5c21f1.JPEG

IMG_0365.thumb.JPEG.e72967b4a9442d0b7d40a79a56ae1ad4.JPEG

IMG_0366.thumb.JPEG.95f538c2067e2dfe82beef2cb03731f9.JPEG

You gotta be in a treestand so the squirrels think they are safe seems to be when u see them the most is during deer seaseon those fuckers know lol

59 minutes ago, silent death said:

You gotta be in a treestand so the squirrels think they are safe seems to be when u see them the most is during deer seaseon those fuckers know lol

yeah sometimes I sit for a while, but truth is, they're active as hell gathering nuts in the fall. In the winter, especially in the snow there's just no reason for them to be out. They're just eating out of their stash.