LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

If they put in a cover crop it may get good!

Generally if it’s beans one year it’s corn the next, and they turn over the ground soon after the  harvest . Some fields lately have been no till beans though  . I’ve got  green fields all along the north side , and alternating ,cut beans, cut corn and green fields on the other farm on my south side  . East and west of me cut and standing beans . The East side is no till beans . Not bring a farmer or knowing much about it , I just hope I pick the right tree ! 

I’m not having that issue Chris lol! Then again I’ve rarely shot one prior to around 10/21.
I have not been this chilly since last year! All I’ve seen is a fisher this morn. There were deer moving before it got light.

Maybe some hot coffee will bring em in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went like the first 8 sits last year without even seeing a deer so don't feel bad! This year things started different, I kind of wish I had shot the buck I did around the first week of November. It felt like I hadn't earned him yet! And I'll be out of the state for the first whole week of gun season, first time missing an opening day.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, phade said:

Apparently people thinking I shot a buck and I lost my damn release the other day. Weird connection there, folks.

I'll be out this PM with my backup release (pending some practice shots here at lunch) in an observation stand that is close by and easy in/out since I can't make it there until around 5:30-5:45. 

Weather looks warm Saturday...72 with chance of rain!

That's exactly what I would expect someone who shot a buck and doesnt want to to show us to say ...

• Like 2

That's exactly what I would expect someone who shot a buck and doesnt want to to show us to say ...

I just googled "what should I say if I killed a big buck and wanted it to be a secret" and that was the first result. Actually the first result was "Tacks, you've never killed a bug buck why should you care?", this was the second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I just googled "what should I say if I killed a big buck and wanted it to be a secret" and that was the first result. Actually the first result was "Tacks, you've never killed a bug buck why should you care?", this was the second

Delete your cookies and see if the part about you goes away ,I suspect google is just messing around .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I was hoping to get out this afternoon but this massive power outage has pretty much killed that plan.  Haven't showered in 2 days , bet the deer will like that!

We have not had power since yesterday afternoon. Not expected to come on until tonight some time? We were like little house on the prairie last night. Kinda fun! The farm is out too, and that is about 15 min. from where I live.

But did a quick wash and made it to work this morning! So far no one has complained about any smell?

Will be out for the first hunt of the year on Saturday morning......

• Like 5

1 hour ago, phade said:

Apparently people thinking I shot a buck and I lost my damn release the other day. Weird connection there, folks.

I'll be out this PM with my backup release (pending some practice shots here at lunch) in an observation stand that is close by and easy in/out since I can't make it there until around 5:30-5:45. 

No luck on the release? I keep a $50 used tru ball in my pack that shoots the same as my Stan as an emergency. Same anchor and hits the same

7 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

No luck on the release? I keep a $50 used tru ball in my pack that shoots the same as my Stan as an emergency. Same anchor and hits the same

I keep a $50 tru ball strapped to my bow ( when not on my wrist )  , it’s one of two releases I’ve owned in 30 years of bow hunting . I shot my first compound fingers , I should try that with my present bow, just to see , hard to loose them .

6 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

It's a Spot Hogg Wise Guy. I actually have two (had two) of them but the post length is adjustable as is the trigger, so while I have it and it's the same one, I have to monkey around with it to get it "just right" if that makes sense. Probably should have practiced with it in hindsight but that lost Spot Hogg has been with me since the first month it came out (might be close 10 years now?). 

I have one possible spot left to look where I set my stuff down in a just cut corn field - but won't get there until tomorrow. Otherwise, I probably lost it in that corn field between there and the truck and that's a shot in the dark to find with it being littered with cut stalks, leaves, cobs, and stubble. Lost it in the dark and that field is probably 40 acres...of course I randomly cut through the middle of it too, so I couldn't even tell which row I walked down. So if it's not at that one spot...I'm writing if off. It's amazing how attached to it I am now that it is missing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phade said:

It's a Spot Hogg Wise Guy. I actually have two (had two) of them but the post length is adjustable as is the trigger, so while I have it and it's the same one, I have to monkey around with it to get it "just right" if that makes sense. Probably should have practiced with it in hindsight but that lost Spot Hogg has been with me since the first month it came out (might be close 10 years now?). 

I have one possible spot left to look where I set my stuff down in a just cut corn field - but won't get there until tomorrow. Otherwise, I probably lost it in that corn field between there and the truck and that's a shot in the dark to find with it being littered with cut stalks, leaves, cobs, and stubble. Lost it in the dark and that field is probably 40 acres...of course I randomly cut through the middle of it too, so I couldn't even tell which row I walked down. So if it's not at that one spot...I'm writing if off. It's amazing how attached to it I am now that it is missing. 

I lost one on state land and to give you an idea how long ago, when we GOT THE HERO PICTURES BACK I could see the release laying in the grass next to me lol. I went back and it was gone

Edited by The_Real_TCIII

2 hours ago, chrisw said:

I went like the first 8 sits last year without even seeing a deer so don't feel bad! This year things started different, I kind of wish I had shot the buck I did around the first week of November. It felt like I hadn't earned him yet! And I'll be out of the state for the first whole week of gun season, first time missing an opening day.

You earned him! Look at all those sits you just mentioned without seeing a thing. Time on stand is time on stand!

• Like 1

You earned him! Look at all those sits you just mentioned without seeing a thing. Time on stand is time on stand!
True! Although I felt like I used up that time on stand credits last year with my biggest buck to date! I'm fortunate to have both of them and I don't take it for granted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phade said:

Observation stand ? You should look into some trail cameras ,I think they have some out now that actually send pictures right to your phone !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, phade said:

WG.jpg

I have one very similar to this, that a bought from a member a couple years ago. Only tried it a couple times, and it wasn't for me. You are welcome to it, if you want it? Will send a picture when I get home later.

• Like 1

Somebody's going fishing???
That's absolutely what I'm planning for the next few weeks! With low water and elbow to elbow salmon snaggers we'll have to get creative but we should find some steelhead, rainbows and browns. I just got a new centerpin setup that's aching to get some river time!

• Like 1

Following from the (home) office. Watching the weather for this weekend. Sunday morning looks great with the cold front moving through. Fish are starting to run though. Decisions decisions. Now that would be a meal, grilled salmon steaks with grilled tenderloin, both harvested that day!

• Like 2

It didn’t seem this windy at the house, probably should have stayed in the office. Hoping it calms down soon. Even though it’s still pretty warm I was hoping the passing front would have them moving early today

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic