LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Buddy is in the oak at the point of the hedge row to my left to take advantage of the wind and deer coming out of creek bottom and bedding to feed on plot and cut corn field.

Being Sunday evening it’s not a doe night so I’m here for the view.

D248D438-7BA0-48B7-B96C-5B4E860AE688.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Belo said:

I would say something is off if you had a complete miss. Most bows will shoot pretty flat between 20-30, so you may have been low to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could very well have been.shot at 27 when got home with 20 yard pin,hit just below stomache in bag target.used 30 pin and right where needed be.who knows,could have been me to begin with also.get caught up in the moment easily,clean miss either way!

• Like 1

aca6def07308809e19ada16ae515f279.jpg
5:30 a group of does stood up and came all the way in to 35 yards and the biggest one gave me a perfect broadside shot. I was so confident she’d be piled up in 50 yards or less. Turns out the arrow must’ve hit a branch and deflected because nothing but guts on the arrow . I can’t find blood anywhere and I mean ANYWHERE. I’ve only ever hit a deer in the gut one other time and the advice was to back out and come back the next day. What would you guys do? I’m bummed right now

• Sad 1

aca6def07308809e19ada16ae515f279.jpg&key=9247ec14f0c928a09c8d2e786bfe328a6481b928b2e565139645c1327da44135
5:30 a group of does stood up and came all the way in to 35 yards and the biggest one gave me a perfect broadside shot. I was so confident she’d be piled up in 50 yards or less. Turns out the arrow must’ve hit a branch and deflected because nothing but guts on the arrow . I can’t find blood anywhere and I mean ANYWHERE. I’ve only ever hit a deer in the gut one other time and the advice was to back out and come back the next day. What would you guys do? I’m bummed right now

White hair too...hope she laid down and didn’t move and you can find her 6-8 hours after shot. Rain in the forecast not gonna help. Maybe call a deer search guide- where you hail from?

14 minutes ago, BfloHunter said:

aca6def07308809e19ada16ae515f279.jpg
5:30 a group of does stood up and came all the way in to 35 yards and the biggest one gave me a perfect broadside shot. I was so confident she’d be piled up in 50 yards or less. Turns out the arrow must’ve hit a branch and deflected because nothing but guts on the arrow emoji51.png. I can’t find blood anywhere and I mean ANYWHERE. I’ve only ever hit a deer in the gut one other time and the advice was to back out and come back the next day. What would you guys do? I’m bummed right now

Gut shot best to wait for the morning. Not going to find a blood trail for even a good direction in the dark most likely.  

Like crappy said maybe if a deer search in area call them to help.  A dog can usually get on a guy shot pretty good. 

But I would def wait til morn and hope the coyotes do too.  Good luck , hope u find it. 

White hair too...hope she laid down and didn’t move and you can find her 6-8 hours after shot. Rain in the forecast not gonna help. Maybe call a deer search guide- where you hail from?

Grand island. No rain in this area thank god. I’m taking my GSP out with me in the morning and we’ll try and locate her. He’s not trained to locate but his nose is better than nothing if I can’t get the blood trail

Maybe [mention]Biz-R-OWorld [/mention] will listen to you since that’s what I was calling for when he had a good one in sight!

I’ve never rattled in NY but always thought it was a pre rut thing. Like later in October / early November?

Anyone have success rattling in early October?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’ve never rattled in NY but always thought it was a pre rut thing. Like later in October / early November?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hell yes, Biz..This IS pre-rut... Back in the day when I was bowhunting I had better luck both rattling and grunting early...

Avoid noisy noisy smash-bang rattling, but just tickling the antlers is very effective early...The last four bucks that I killed with my bow were all grunted or rattled in early/mid October...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Only once....I actually had two bucks come in at once from opposite directions and started fighting right in front of me. They were to far out of range for a shot but I got a hell of a show. When they got done they both walked away in opposite directions and I couldn't bring either one of them back  with a grunt or anything else.

I usually try once or twice during the early season but have only had it work that one time

• Like 4

No deer seen in the morning, or afternoon sits from two different set up's. Very surprised I saw nothing from two good observation stands? But that's the way it goes sometimes.

But in between, a broke tractor got fixed, and our 270 rifles got zeroed in with my new handload recipe.

Going out to meet Cabin Fever in Utica tomorrow, to pick up some traps.

• Like 2

Just now, grampy said:

No deer seen in the morning, or afternoon sits from two different set up's. Very surprised I saw nothing from two good observation stands? But that's the way it goes sometimes.

But in between, a broke tractor got fixed, and our 270 rifles got zeroed in with my new handload recipe.

Going out to meet Cabin Fever in Utica tomorrow, to pick up some traps.

Some day I’m gonna trap yotes full time!

Just now, Zag said:

Some day I’m gonna trap yotes full time!

My hunting partner retired last year. So we are going to learn how to trap predators. Coyote, fox, fisher, and bobcat. We have an abundance of all of em. So we'll see how it goes? If anything, two older guys will get some  more exercise!..... lol

• Like 4

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic