New to Muzzleloaders

Hunterny28

Hello all, I am new to muzzle loaders and wanted to get some input from you guys. I received a Traditions Buck stalker as gift for my birthday last year. I am going to make sure it is shooting how I want it to this weekend for the late season ML. I am new to the different types of shot and what to use for "powder". What do you guys recommended for deer as in shot and amount of "powder"? Also should I use anything different for target practice? Is there anything special or trick that I should know about ML that may help me out? Thanks guys

I use 2 50 gr. t7 pellets and a 250gr. tc shockwave and a winchester 209 primer in my cva wolf. I have bullets touching at 100 yards. I worked for a long time to get that accuracy. I started with a traditions buckhunter that was handed down to me and could never get it to group. I went out this year and bought the cva wolf and couldn't get it to group so I started researching muzzleloader accuracy tips. the best advise I can give is once you find the load your muzzleloader likes keep everything as consistent as possible. run a spit patch through after every shot. keep the powder levels as consistent as possible. start the bullet as straight as possible, seat it on top of the powder consistently. and make sure to keep your ML clean. I believe my biggest problem with my buckhunter was that I never took the time to find the load it liked. I would throw 100gr. of loose powder and and whatever the cheapest bullets were at walmart and expected it to shoot well. I was so frustrated with muzzleloaders I was ready to give it up. now I am confident enough in my wolf I left the 30-06 at home a couple times this year during regular season. Good Luck

I have Thompson center maxi balls. I have only used them for target shooting. I have liked them so far. I am going to play around with powder and see what works for me. as I used what my friend bought over. I am going to go to gander mountain and talk with them. I am also going to look into what you guys recommend.

I do have one stupid question, and this is coming from a guy with little experience with ML. you have to shoot the gun off when you come out of the field? or is there a way of re using the shot? I would imagine with powder it would be hard. but the pellets it may work.

I have tomorrow off and all weekend in between hunting to give it a good try. I then have a few days next week to make sure I am dialed in for the last weekend of late ML season.

thanks guys

I do have one stupid question, and this is coming from a guy with little experience with ML. you have to shoot the gun off when you come out of the field? or is there a way of re using the shot? I would imagine with powder it would be hard. but the pellets it may work.

to be legal all you have to do is take the primer out of the gun. Personally I would leave the charge in for the week but I use pellets. with loose powder there is a chance the powder will settle in the gun and compress behind the bullet leaving a gap and an inconsistency. I don't know what others recommend for this. to completely remove the charge from the gun just remove the breach plug and push the charge out with your ram rod. or you can do it the old fashion way and use a ball puller.