You call that a knife.....

I have a whole box full of knives, and many have served me well for field dressing...

However, the  last  few years I have used a Havelon,  and  my field dressing has never been quicker or easier.....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I have a whole box full of knives, and many have served me well for field dressing...

However, the  last  few years I have used a Havelon,  and  my field dressing has never been quicker or easier.....

22 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Been using the Havalon for the last few years ,ill never use anything but an interchangeable blade for field dressing after using it. 

See a lot of advertising for those.   What is the advantage of the interchangeable blades?  I always see those and think ...yeah I will cut myself changing those.  Lol.  

27 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

See a lot of advertising for those.   What is the advantage of the interchangeable blades?  I always see those and think ...yeah I will cut myself changing those.  Lol.  

Just the sharpness and the fact you can just swap out the blades. Mine has a small bone saw too that works amazing for removing the bone blocking the anal cavity , i actually make 2 cuts in the bone and remove about a 1 inch wide piece of bone to remove the crapper shoot. 

Just now, Jeremy K said:

Just the sharpness and the fact you can just swap out the blades. Mine has a small bone saw too that works amazing for removing the bone blocking the anal cavity , i actually make 2 cuts in the bone and remove about a 1 inch wide piece of bone to remove the crapper shoot. 

Those havalons remind me of razors.   They just look so sharp.  Honestly they scared me away a little.  But I bet they work great.

4 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Those havalons remind me of razors.   They just look so sharp.  Honestly they scared me away a little.  But I bet they work great.

Rob, I love quality knives, and I have a box full of Bucks, Shrades, Case, Puma and others....

But several years ago my buddy Gator from Ontario gave me a  chintzy looking plastic and stainless Havelon , and they work great...The blades ARE razors  and you have to remember that, but they sure do make field dressing easier, from opening up the body cavity to bunghole work...

• Like 1

My well traveled Buck 110 has seen alot of gutting! But honestly, it isnt the most hand friendly knife, but holds an edge forever. No pics, but my Grohman #1 ( I have four of them) actually is my favorite deer hunting knife. Great ergonomics, holds a fantastic edge, very reasonably priced. The Old Henry Sharp finger is another great knife...goofy looking but it fits the hand great, holds a good edge and isnt bulky. All my knives have a lanyard (essential) so it can dangle as I reposition/etc. so I dont have to set it down.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

They work incredibly well ,just the weight of the knife moving across the tissue will cut it . Tacks used one last year and had good results as well.

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

i actually make 2 cuts in the bone and remove about a 1 inch wide piece of bone to remove the crapper shoot. 

I always have a Gerber folding saw in my pack for that task, in addition to clearing branches around my stands

Edited by wolc123

6 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

And the name on the handle?

Well its a long story. After you have kids, calling your buddies a$$h@/3s in front of them is a bad habit i did my best to end asap.  I slipped up and squeaked out the word butthole at deer camp narrowly avoiding dropping the a-bomb........ some things stick.

• Like 1