EHD outbreak in NY?

ANTLERS

I just got an email from the DEC about that.
DEC Delivers press release
DEC Delivers Press Release - Information to keep you connected and informed from the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
Share or view as a web page || Update preferences or unsubscribe
DEC Confirms Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease in Putnam and Orange County Deer

Disease is Not Transmissible to Humans; New Yorkers Encouraged to Report Sick or Dead Deer to DEC

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) today confirmed that several white-tailed deer in the towns of Nelsonville and Cold Spring in Putnam County and near Goshen in Orange County died after contracting Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD). EHD is a viral disease of white-tailed deer that cannot be contracted by humans.

EHD virus is carried by biting midges, small bugs often called no-see-ums or 'punkies.' Once infected with EHD, deer usually die within 36 hours. The disease is not spread from deer to deer or from deer to humans.

DEC wildlife biologists collected half a dozen deer carcasses in Putnam County and submitted the carcasses to the Wildlife Health Unit for necropsy. Tissue samples were sent to the Animal Health Diagnostic Center at Cornell University where the preliminary diagnosis of EHD was confirmed. DEC also sent samples from four deer from Orange County where the preliminary diagnosis of EHD was confirmed.

The EHD virus was first confirmed in New York in 2007 in Albany, Rensselaer, and Niagara counties, and in Rockland County in 2011. EHD outbreaks are most common in the late summer and early fall when midges are abundant. EHD symptoms include fever, hemorrhage in muscle or organs, swelling of the head, neck, tongue, and lips. A deer infected with EHD may appear lame or dehydrated. Frequently, infected deer will seek out water sources and many succumb near a water source. There is no treatment for nor means to prevent EHD. The dead deer do not serve as a source of infection for other animals.

EHD outbreaks do not have a significant long-term impact on deer populations. EHD is endemic in the southern states where there are annual outbreaks, so some southern deer have developed immunity. Generally, in the northeast, EHD outbreaks occur sporadically and deer in New York have no immunity to this virus. Consequently, most EHD-infected deer in New York are expected to die. In the north, the first hard frost kills the midges that transmit the disease, ending the EHD outbreak.

Hunters should not handle or eat any deer that appears sick or acts strangely. DEC will continue to monitor the situation. Sightings of sick or dying deer should be reported to the nearest DEC Regional Office or to an Environmental Conservation Police Officer. In addition, the Department of Agriculture and Markets has alerted deer farmers and veterinarians throughout the state to be aware of the disease and to report suspicious cases.

For more information on EHD and helpful related links, visit the DEC website.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/press.html

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation respects your right to privacy and welcomes your feedback | Update preferences or unsubscribe | Learn more about DEC Delivers.
Connect with DEC: Facebook Twitter YouTube Bookmark and Share
2020 Census: New York counts on you
Basil Seggos, Commissioner
This email was sent to GovDelivery Communications Cloud on behalf of: New York State Department of Environmental Conservation · 625 Broadway · Albany, NY 12233 · (518) 402-8013

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Link to DEC release not working....

Maybe this....nope.

Just google Ehd virus Putnam NY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This should work
https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/121297.html
You guys should sign up for the DEC emails they really don’t send that many and most of them are interesting.

• Like 5

On 9/4/2020 at 7:51 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Wtf. I hunt Putnam County (it’s a small County). I have least pics ever on trail cam. Hope this isn’t the reason why. Do I start looking for dead bodies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I heard there were only 2 cases found.  If you have water around that's where you will find them. midge bites and causes massive fever and they head for water to cool off and there they float.

• Like 3

I heard there were only 2 cases found.  If you have water around that's where you will find them. midge bites and causes massive fever and they head for water to cool off and there they float.

Article I read said DEC picked up 6 deer and 4 tested positive - it also said that it does not have a huge or lasting impact on the herd so Biz has no excuses!
Good to see you back FSW!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, crappyice said:

Article I read said DEC picked up 6 deer and 4 tested positive - it also said that it does not have a huge or lasting impact on the herd so Biz has no excuses!
Good to see you back FSW!

Biz doesn’t hunt to eat deer as long as this doesn’t affect the antlers he’s ok with it . 

• Like 4

Thanks. No major water where I hunt

• Like 1

Biz doesn’t hunt to eat deer as long as this doesn’t affect the antlers he’s ok with it . 

The drought affects the antler growth. Better to have a wet spring. Inches appears down this summer across the state

• Like 1

Guys, not a member here, just saw this conversation going while scrolling the internet. I hunt and run cameras Dutchess, Orange, ulster.

i noticed extreme lack of deer in areas of Dutchess this year,  then heard This news. Yesterday I went for a walk to look for bodies and found 8 dead. One was a beautiful 10 point. What a shame.. 

from what I saw. It’s going to take couple years for herd to rebound, going to look little more today in couple areas. I’m hearing bad things happening now in Orange.

On 9/6/2020 at 12:01 AM, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Theres a creek nearby but save your breath ,we've been trying to talk him in to scouting that area for awhile now.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Yorehntr said:

Guys, not a member here, just saw this conversation going while scrolling the internet. I hunt and run cameras Dutchess, Orange, ulster.

i noticed extreme lack of deer in areas of Dutchess this year,  then heard This news. Yesterday I went for a walk to look for bodies and found 8 dead. One was a beautiful 10 point. What a shame.. 

from what I saw. It’s going to take couple years for herd to rebound, going to look little more today in couple areas. I’m hearing bad things happening now in Orange.

Can you provide us with some photo evidence to this?  Would surely make some of us more likely to believe that there is truly an EHD problem in this area.

• Like 2

Got any pics of the 10?

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yorehntr said:

That sucks. Hope u reported it to DEC. Sorry to hear. 

• Like 1

It’s real, found 8 In varying states of decay. The one small buck I had on cam less than a week ago. Also got a doe that looks like it’s walking to it’s death bed..
11EEB074-3B96-4C25-A9F1-79FBF8579607.jpeg.f1dc9059d25491f3ddd932d9724b1386.jpeg
4FDBF9C4-8441-415D-AD14-7735E910509D.jpeg.448b3c2e0b7fdb845d8bd04b944b5fae.jpeg
That 10 was a stud! That really sucks!

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

36 minutes ago, Yorehntr said:

It’s real, found 8 In varying states of decay. The one small buck I had on cam less than a week ago. Also got a doe that looks like it’s walking to it’s death bed..

Thanks for posting.  Send us pics of any others you might find also.

• Like 2