EHD outbreak in NY?

ANTLERS

On 9/6/2020 at 8:17 AM, crappyice said:

Article I read said DEC picked up 6 deer and 4 tested positive - it also said that it does not have a huge or lasting impact on the herd so Biz has no excuses!
Good to see you back FSW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who has had an EHD outbreak experience hit home would majorly disagree with not having a huge or lasting impact.

It's almost unfathomable that someone would say that, and even scarier IMO if that was a state biologist who was quoted.

EHD outbreaks in any material volume hit herd structures hard and can skew the age of deer for several years beyond the outbreak. Look at midwest and SE states that had major outbreaks. Heck, even some of the "TV" shows have had that happen on their core or central properties and they talk about how damaging it can be.

I've seen two outbreaks growing up and hunting in VA. I do not want to see it again.

• Like 3

Anyone who has had an EHD outbreak experience hit home would majorly disagree with not having a huge or lasting impact.
It's almost unfathomable that someone would say that, and even scarier IMO if that was a state biologist who was quoted.
EHD outbreaks in any material volume hit herd structures hard and can skew the age of deer for several years beyond the outbreak. Look at midwest and SE states that had major outbreaks. Heck, even some of the "TV" shows have had that happen on their core or central properties and they talk about how damaging it can be.
I've seen two outbreaks growing up and hunting in VA. I do not want to see it again.

This looks and sounds horrible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

More bad news..I walked around Washingtonville/ rock Tavern area, and came across tremendous death today.  Does, fawns and bucks. At one point I walked up to a dying doe, thinking it was another corpse, but it was not quite dead. It got up and staggered away from me through the brush.. never seen anything like this

• Sad 3

I had hunted a friend's ranch in the Idaho panhandle for a few years. We would literally see over two hundred deer each day. Truly a deer hunting  paradise. My friend called me in August of the next year that I was to hunt with him and told me that EHD had wiped out the deer heard. He recommended that I save my money and not come out to hunt. It was hard for me to believe that all the deer were gone so I went to hunt his ranch anyway. 

When I hunted the first morning, the stench of death was everywhere. I saw a few bears feeding on the carcasses. I did shoot a decent 8 pt. but it was the only deer I saw in 6 days of hunting. Normally I would have seen hundreds over the duration on the hunt. That was about 10 years ago and the herd still has not fully recovered. I'm guessing its Mother Nature's way of controlling over population.

EHD is real ! Unfortunately I don't think there is anything that can control it. 

The velvet had rotted off it, mostly. Coyotes ravaged the carcass . And we’re able to chew the tips off, since the rack hadn’t completely hardened. Trust me, or not.. it was this years. Along with the 7 others I found that day and 13 yesterday..

90 degree heat, with high humidity will Make a Skelton In no time.

• Like 1

Wow ! This look like total devastation to the herd in those areas affected . Frost cant come fast enough to save the deer that are still healthy. 

If these are the ones that are found by one person looking , I cant even imagine how many others are  out there that haven't been found

Edited by SportsmanNH

42 minutes ago, Yorehntr said:

The velvet had rotted off it, mostly. Coyotes ravaged the carcass . And we’re able to chew the tips off, since the rack hadn’t completely hardened. Trust me, or not.. it was this years. Along with the 7 others I found that day and 13 yesterday..

90 degree heat, with high humidity will Make a Skelton In no time.

Thank you for the pictures and information. This is a hard pill to swallow for us hunters. The deer population will be effected for quite some time in this area. 

EHD could conceivably show up anywhere in NYS. That is most concerning. As there is nothing that can be done.