EHD outbreak in NY?

ANTLERS

20 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

a63f149c073af5c781bcd0c41c5ef17c.jpg

My dad found this dead doe this morning behind his pool. He’s in MAHOPAC and will call DEC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pic reminds me of a young Biz after trying to leap from the deck into the pool. Hopefully that deer was hit by a car and died there but I have a bad feeling it wasnt

• Like 2

It’s EHD. They’re laying like that throughout the woods.  Buddy found 14 dead along 400yds of creek today, but they don’t all go to water. We found a few in fields. One stumbled through a person’s yard on my street and died in their driveway.

Here’s one about to die. Too weak to stand.

highly disturbing stuff.

EB89453A-8C89-42B6-ABE2-30E9F565C713.png

Edited by Yorehntr
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Yorehntr said:

It’s EHD. They’re laying like that throughout the woods.  Buddy found 14 dead along 400yds of creek today, but they don’t all go to water. We found a few in fields. One stumbled through a person’s yard on my street and died in their driveway.

Here’s one about to die. Too weak to stand.

highly disturbing stuff.

What county were those 14 found in??

Dutchess, but Orange is getting hit as well. Draw a line from goshen to cold spring , then up to fishkill. Huge area. I’m not saying the whole area is effected,  I imagine it has spots more effected than others, but everywhere I or people I know, looked in that zone has been hit.  

6 minutes ago, Yorehntr said:

Dutchess, but Orange is getting hit as well. Draw a line from goshen to cold spring , then up to fishkill. Huge area. I’m not saying the whole area is effected,  I imagine it has spots more effected than others, but everywhere I or people I know, looked in that zone has been hit.  

Not hard to understand how this could be spreading in Putnam and Dutchess counties since they are next to each other, but it is interesting how it's also happening in Orange county which is on the other side of the Hudson River.

8 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Not hard to understand how this could be spreading in Putnam and Dutchess counties since they are next to each other, but it is interesting how it's also happening in Orange county which is on the other side of the Hudson River.

It's not spread from deer to deer. Infection is from a midge bite.

True but how far them
Midges traveling?!? 3S is a skip from both Dutches and Putnam....I’m starting to get nervous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's to hoity-toity for them here in 3S. Midges aren't allowed here

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

More likely EHD or some type of natural death than hit by car. No sign of trauma, and it’s a short dead end street on a hill

Have you called DEC to have them test all these deer? I spoke with a “collector” of the specimen and they are quite willing to collect and test these deer to sturdy how and how far EHD spreads....he said there is no treatment but cold to kill off the midges but they always like more information than less.

There will be too many dead to bother testing. Only saving grace is it a happened late in year. It might cool off and kill them off. In a bad year its nothing to for EHD to wipe out half a farms deer, and almost all the mature bucks. For some reason mature deer sub-come to it more often. Bad part is in NY guys wont lay off the young bucks even with EHD hitting....so you get screwed for 4 or 5 years

I’ve been e-mailing a DEC wildlife biologist on number of dead and where.  the ones I’ve came across are all in groups, and mostly near known EHD areas. 

And so s/he didn’t want to come out and test? That seems odd since the guy I contacted regarding the deer in Biz’s pop’s backyard was immediately interested in testing the deer. Dept of sanitation was too quick for him though and scooped it up before he could test it.

• Like 1