EHD outbreak in NY?

ANTLERS

I live in Rock Tavern in Orange County and between my neighbor and I we found 30 dead deer (bucks and does). All of our woods smell like death. Trail cams are nothing but raccoons and squirrels. We live 2 min from Stewart Preserve. This is real and its bad!!! Definitely going to take a few years to rebound. 

a45418ecaf3d8bd8a877f929b47f6dd3.jpg
I am sorry man...that sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huge bummer! I thought hunting would be safe from the wrath of 2020 - NOPE!I Was getting tons of pics on my trail camera in 3N, now next to nothing. This buck was found 100s yard from my stand.

I'm considering not even bothering hunting these areas so that the survivors can pass on immunity and recover faster. If I do hunt here I will be very selective. Sounds like doe can pass on resistant genes? So they might be off the list. 

There are other places to hunt. Less convenient but I'd hate to see the herd struggle to bounce back.

IMG_20200907_112243.jpg

IMG_20200907_112235.jpg

• Sad 2

Huge bummer! I thought hunting would be safe from the wrath of 2020 - NOPE!I Was getting tons of pics on my trail camera in 3N, now next to nothing. This buck was found 100s yard from my stand.
I'm considering not even bothering hunting these areas so that the survivors can pass on immunity and recover faster. If I do hunt here I will be very selective. Sounds like doe can pass on resistant genes? So they might be off the list. 
There are other places to hunt. Less convenient but I'd hate to see the herd struggle to bounce back.
IMG_20200907_112243.thumb.jpg.a66b6284330405ecde2b47f66dbcad6c.jpg
IMG_20200907_112235.thumb.jpg.7a5ab92a3015eaf82ceecefdb731fabf.jpg

Great first post! What town in 3N?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They (the DEC) can take an inventory and then eliminate DMP use in the units. They should also not allow either sex tags to be used in the areas.
Hunters can also manage themselves, by not using DMPS and only harvesting mature bucks till there is a noticeable up tick in the population....

That said neither will happen. The DEC will do nothing and NY hunters will fill every tag they can indiscriminately and the situation will be Exacerbated.

4 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

They (the DEC) can take an inventory and then eliminate DMP use in the units. They should also not allow either sex tags to be used in the areas.
Hunters can also manage themselves, by not using DMPS and only harvesting mature bucks till there is a noticeable up tick in the population....

That said neither will happen. The DEC will do nothing and NY hunters will fill every tag they can indiscriminately and the situation will be Exacerbated.

The DEC could care less quite honestly.  Like everything else in NYS, all that the state cares about is collecting money from people, businesses, etc. and giving us NOTHING in return.

• Like 2

The only thing they can do at this point, is react to this year’s abysmally low take,  by adjusting the dmp allotment for Next year,  in certain wmu’s. That is the only arrow that they have in their Quiver. 

There’s no way to Accurately keep stats..When dealing with that much land. 

like already said, since the tags have already been issued, The Googan army will kill everything that walks, come November, regardless of the disease.

Edited by Yorehntr

3 minutes ago, Yorehntr said:

The only thing they can do at this point, is react to this year’s abysmally low take,  by adjusting the dmp allotment for Next year,  in certain wmu’s. That is the only arrow that they have in their Quiver. 

like already said, since the tags have already been issued, The Googan army will kill everything that walks, come November, regardless of the disease.

They could make issued DMP tags for this season null and void if they wanted to.  They can send out letters to those who received DMP's in those units to let people know.  This would probably generate a good amount of revenue for the DEC, too, by them issuing summonses to those who went ahead and killed a deer on those DMP's anyway.  Probably won't happen, though, because I can't see the DEC putting any extra effort into anything.

They could make issued DMP tags for this season null and void if they wanted to.  They can send out letters to those who received DMP's in those units to let people know.  This would probably generate a good amount of revenue for the DEC, too, by them issuing summonses to those who went ahead and killed a deer on those DMP's anyway.  Probably won't happen, though, because I can't see the DEC putting any extra effort into anything.

Yes they can do all those things (and probably would if the lose numbers were in the thousands) but the doom and gloom narrative being spouted by a few would lose the “sky is falling” message.

• Like 2

Why would the Googan army go to those areas if there is nothing left to kill...or is that your motive behind the “sky is falling” narrative. Post this same message on as many local hunting forums and see if you can drive down the “Googan” population?

Not saying this ain’t a thing...I am saying the guys i talk to with a direct line to the DEC ain’t reporting thousands of deaths

• Like 2

Why would the Googan army go to those areas if there is nothing left to kill...or is that your motive behind the “sky is falling” narrative. Post this same message on as many local hunting forums and see if you can drive down the “Googan” population?

Not saying this ain’t a thing...I am saying the guys i talk to with a direct line to the DEC ain’t reporting thousands of deaths

He's trying to keep his honey holes

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton