EHD outbreak in NY?

ANTLERS

On 9/6/2020 at 8:17 AM, crappyice said:

Article I read said DEC picked up 6 deer and 4 tested positive - it also said that it does not have a huge or lasting impact on the herd so Biz has no excuses!
Good to see you back FSW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/4/2020 at 8:14 AM, The Jerkman said:

I'm gonna call fake news, but could also be real. Let me try and research further. ***Update*** found zero news articles from after 2011 so likely fake news

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Don’t worry guys.. it’s “fake news” and even if it were real,  there’s no lasting impact. No excuses Biz! 

L’il ol’ me will just keep tripping over dead deer, everywhere I go, but everything is fine

2 minutes ago, Yorehntr said:

No excuses Biz! 

My cams were normal for July, but slower than normal for august. September so far seems slower, but i'll know more sunday. I can confirm alive deer yesterday and today in 3N at least via cell cam.

Don’t worry guys.. it’s “fake news” and even if it were real,  there’s no lasting impact. No excuses Biz! 

L’il ol’ me will just keep tripping over dead deer, everywhere I go, but everything is fine

Yore! U are not alone....I have seen this first hand and smell it all day long in my area.

I am also beginning to be a bit skeptical about the severity of this.  Since the areas effected are close to NYC I would have imagined more media coverage of this.  If for no other reason than to try to scare some hunters from hunting for deer.  A few years back there were reports of rabid deer and I remember it getting way more coverage and again probably in hope that it would keep hunters from shooting deer that might potentially be sick and then consumed.

• Like 2

I am also beginning to be a bit skeptical about the severity of this.  Since the areas effected are close to NYC I would have imagined more media coverage of this.  If for no other reason than to try to scare some hunters from hunting for deer.  A few years back there were reports of rabid deer and I remember it getting way more coverage and again probably in hope that it would keep hunters from shooting deer that might potentially be sick and then consumed.

Skeptical?!? Now I am skeptical a hunter wants to vote Biden into office with that sort of conspiracy theory thought process!

On another note I work in Rockland county which is closer to NYC and checked 2 honey holes today that are still holding deer. Also, my brother who is a Park Ranger in Rockland has not seen any sign of EHD or has not responded to any call regarding the disease. His crew spends 30 hours a week in the woods, so thats good news!

The problem seems to be “isolated” on the I84 corridor from Goshen, east towards Dutchess/Putnam counties. This all has to do with poor water quality so some towns may have been hit harder than others.

Lastly, the only reason I found this forum was b/c of EHD. I googled it and found this talk.

• Like 2

“Zombie deer” right? Articles and news coverage...but “thousands” of dead deer raise no eyebrows from DEC or the public who have flooded the woods and parks and hiking trails since Covid.

I get it exists in some pockets (and it sucks that it’s yore’s and Matt’s pockets of woods) since a biologist told me so, but the “sky is falling” and no more coverage except two forum posters seems strange.

• Like 1

Skeptical?!? Now I am skeptical a hunter wants to vote Biden into office with that sort of conspiracy theory thought process!

On another note I work in Rockland county which is closer to NYC and checked 2 honey holes today that are still holding deer. Also, my brother who is a Park Ranger in Rockland has not seen any sign of EHD or has not responded to any call regarding the disease. His crew spends 30 hours a week in the woods, so thats good news!

The problem seems to be “isolated” on the I84 corridor from Goshen, east towards Dutchess/Putnam counties. This all has to do with poor water quality so some towns may have been hit harder than others.

Lastly, the only reason I found this forum was b/c of EHD. I googled it and found this talk.

Welcome aboard! I hope you continue to contribute after this ends!

• Like 1

I hunt Rockland as well, mostly new city... haven’t seen any death in my woods. What area you hunting

All these sightings of dead deer and talks of EHD seem to show up after you posted your contest thread . Maybe it’s another team from this forum with a serious competitive side to them . 

It’s all linked to a WNY Italian Poop found in 3N. After that I got a bear pic, killed my PB buck and now EHD! Good news is, I got the guy on camera! Looks like the typical saddle hunter !

bd3abd2c097e5b351f6be940c928d793.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

It’s all linked to a WNY Italian Poop found in 3N. After that I got a bear pic, killed my PB buck and now EHD! Good news is, I got the guy on camera! Looks like the typical saddle hunter !

bd3abd2c097e5b351f6be940c928d793.jpg&key=748e49682426a7c2714387e570cfd8416ea810e3d9a9637ae01a17482cf8788c

Too bad he wasn't wearing his HECS suit. He'd have been invisible and never caught

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Haha 1

I’m not going to escalate this conversation further, but just want to point out one key point. That,  is the difference between my original Verbiage  “hundreds to thousands dead”, somehow being changed into Crappy’s internet “fake news” version of  “Hundreds to thousands of reported.”

That’s a huge difference, But for fun Let’s do some simple math.  50 plus found dead in cold spring ( by Two guys) 25 dead on one farm in goshen,  40 in rock tavern by ( 3 guys) 13 found dead along 400 yards of creek In fishkill by (1 guy), 30 plus on another rd in Goshen, then adding all the mystery deaths that are happening all over the place.  Which happen to be coinciding with a rare EHD outbreak...  

that’s over 150 known dead right there. Found by a very few people, on a minuscule portion of the land known to be affected.  So, for every one deer found , how many are unfounded?  

anyone that spends any time in Orange County, knows we have swamps in almost every section of woods,  and once a deer goes in , good luck finding.   Just something to think about..drive down the rd in areas of and 3m In evening with your windows down.. there’s dead all over, that will never be accounted. Many hundreds to thousands 

Edited by Yorehntr
  • Like 1

I’m not going to escalate this conversation further, but just want to point out one key point. That,  is the difference between my original Verbiage  “hundreds to thousands dead”, somehow being changed into Crappy’s internet “fake news” version of  “Hundreds to thousands of reported.”
That’s a huge difference, But for fun Let’s do some simple math.  50 plus found dead in cold spring ( by Two guys) 25 dead on one farm in goshen,  40 in rock tavern by ( 3 guys) 13 found dead along 400 yards of creek In fishkill by (1 guy), 30 plus on another rd in Goshen, then adding all the mystery deaths that are happening all over the place.  Which happen to be coinciding with a rare EHD outbreak...  
that’s over 150 known dead right there. Found by a very few people, on a minuscule portion of the land known to be affected.  So, for every one deer found , how many are unfounded?  
anyone that spends any time in Orange County, knows we have swamps in almost every section of woods,  and once a deer goes in , good luck finding.   Just something to think about..drive down the rd in areas of and 3m In evening with your windows down.. there’s dead all over, that will never be accounted. Many hundreds to thousands 

So is it better to have less water? Most of the land I hunt had tiny streams at best, but no standing water (small ponds)

8 hours ago, Yorehntr said:

How many alive ones did they count?