EHD outbreak in NY?

ANTLERS

28 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I’d like to think it’s 4 on the other buried aide so it’s not a wasted 6 but a wasted 7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have to check. No way i could leave half a rack hidden. what if it was 12pt on that other side?

• Like 1

It was a sad site . I hope they close Stewart for deer hunting . And I am a hunter . But if we found that many in just a short time I can't imagine  how  many are in or around the bigger swamps.  And you can smell them . As your walking around.very very sad . Going to check a couple of other places . Like black Rock  and other hunting spots

It was a sad site . I hope they close Stewart for deer hunting . And I am a hunter . But if we found that many in just a short time I can't imagine  how  many are in or around the bigger swamps.  And you can smell them . As your walking around.very very sad . Going to check a couple of other places . Like black Rock  and other hunting spots

Been saying it for 2 weeks. Glad you guys took the walk today. I live across from Stewart and my woods have smelled like death for a month!!

Even if they don’t close it (which it sounds like they should) why would anyone hunt there this year?

• Like 1

It was good to meet you both, Bill and Cynthia. I’m sure we’ve crossed paths a few times.  I reported the numbers to region 3 biologist, I’ve been e-mailing. 

Unfortunately, it’s just more confirmation , that it’s widespread and significant all around. 

Edited by Yorehntr
  • Like 2

I was watching Bill Winke talk about selling his farm and he even noted how much of an impact EHD had on his heard and noted that it was a 5-year rebound period. Keep in mind his ground arguably might have been some of the best managed in the country and he had a five year rebound period.

Looks like its still pretty rough and going. You guys need some cold weather asap!!!!

9 minutes ago, phade said:

I was watching Bill Winke talk about selling his farm and he even noted how much of an impact EHD had on his heard and noted that it was a 5-year rebound period. Keep in mind his ground arguably might have been some of the best managed in the country and he had a five year rebound period.

Looks like its still pretty rough and going. You guys need some cold weather asap!!!!

75-80 highs next 5 days. we just had a cold snap, but 38 a few mornings isn't enough

• Like 1

The most important thing after EHD is hunter responsibility. We learned that the hard way. All young bucks have to get a pass because it seems that EHD hits the older age class of bucks especially hard. Its Nothing to lose almost all your 4 and 5 year old bucks. The number of cases that game agency's will report is always a joke. For example the county of the farm I hunted last year had less then 50 confirmations. We had more EHD deaths on the farm and the neighbors farm then that, yet because they were "confirmed" they didnt count. So the county numbers were ridiculous.

Doe harvest needs to get cut back the first couple years after EHD, even if your population is decent. You Need to be careful that its doesn't hit a couple years in row. You think its past and over....shoot some does then get hit again next summer and prolong the issue

I have no hope that any help comes from the DEC, and I doubt you will see any NY hunters showing restraint. The saving grace is that the deer opulation is pretty high, and that its fairly late in the year.
I hope it passes quick for all the hunters in those areas.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

The most important thing after EHD is hunter responsibility. We learned that the hard way. All young bucks have to get a pass because it seems that EHD hits the older age class of bucks especially hard. Its Nothing to lose almost all your 4 and 5 year old bucks. The number of cases that game agency's will report is always a joke. For example the county of the farm I hunted last year had less then 50 confirmations. We had more EHD deaths on the farm and the neighbors farm then that, yet because they were "confirmed" they didnt count. So the county numbers were ridiculous.

Doe harvest needs to get cut back the first couple years after EHD, even if your population is decent. You Need to be careful that its doesn't hit a couple years in row. You think its past and over....shoot some does then get hit again next summer and prolong the issue

I have no hope that any help comes from the DEC, and I doubt you will see any NY hunters showing restraint. The saving grace is that the deer opulation is pretty high, and that its fairly late in the year.
I hope it passes quick for all the hunters in those areas.

the only way for the to save stewart forest is to stop all deer hunting for 2 or 3 years i don't see them doing that. As it is it is over hunted now . I have hunted there all my life and every year fewer and fewer deer  . I am worried if they don't close it they will wipe out alot more deer . And it won't ever be the same .