EHD outbreak in NY?

ANTLERS

2 hours ago, Trial153 said:

The most important thing after EHD is hunter responsibility. We learned that the hard way. All young bucks have to get a pass because it seems that EHD hits the older age class of bucks especially hard. Its Nothing to lose almost all your 4 and 5 year old bucks. The number of cases that game agency's will report is always a joke. For example the county of the farm I hunted last year had less then 50 confirmations. We had more EHD deaths on the farm and the neighbors farm then that, yet because they were "confirmed" they didnt count. So the county numbers were ridiculous.

Doe harvest needs to get cut back the first couple years after EHD, even if your population is decent. You Need to be careful that its doesn't hit a couple years in row. You think its past and over....shoot some does then get hit again next summer and prolong the issue

I have no hope that any help comes from the DEC, and I doubt you will see any NY hunters showing restraint. The saving grace is that the deer opulation is pretty high, and that its fairly late in the year.
I hope it passes quick for all the hunters in those areas.

From your experience, is it more likely to come back, once it’s in an area? 

i just got an update from the DEC. So far they’ve tallied 450 likely EHD mortalities. 
also, added that the impact on the local herd is unknown and won’t know until after  Hunting harvest data comes in.

The most important thing after EHD is hunter responsibility. We learned that the hard way. All young bucks have to get a pass because it seems that EHD hits the older age class of bucks especially hard. Its Nothing to lose almost all your 4 and 5 year old bucks. The number of cases that game agency's will report is always a joke. For example the county of the farm I hunted last year had less then 50 confirmations. We had more EHD deaths on the farm and the neighbors farm then that, yet because they were "confirmed" they didnt count. So the county numbers were ridiculous.

Doe harvest needs to get cut back the first couple years after EHD, even if your population is decent. You Need to be careful that its doesn't hit a couple years in row. You think its past and over....shoot some does then get hit again next summer and prolong the issue

I have no hope that any help comes from the DEC, and I doubt you will see any NY hunters showing restraint. The saving grace is that the deer opulation is pretty high, and that its fairly late in the year.
I hope it passes quick for all the hunters in those areas.

Any idea why it effects older deer more? While I haven’t come across or heard of any deaths near where I hunt in 3N, this is the first year with no 8pters on cam and overall the slowest cam year since we started hunting it in 2016. Now the lack of acorns could be a major factor also, or EHD is killing deer somewhere nearby but nobody is finding them? We don’t have water on the property or anywhere really close. So maybe they traveled and died?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Any idea why it effects older deer more? While I haven’t come across or heard of any deaths near where I hunt in 3N, this is the first year with no 8pters on cam and overall the slowest cam year since we started hunting it in 2016. Now the lack of acorns could be a major factor also, or EHD is killing deer somewhere nearby but nobody is finding them? We don’t have water on the property or anywhere really close. So maybe they traveled and died?

I really do know. In all honesty its disputed that it effects older deer specifically older bucks at higher rate. My guess is that we have become better at cataloging and keeping track of bucks with trail cams. So on heavily managed farms they have pretty good idea of what the older crop of bucks consist of, and when they turn up dead or missing ....its way more noticable then does or young bucks that are off the radar.
That said some very good deer managers are convinced that older bucks are more susceptible to it. One theory is that large velvet antlers are easy places for midges to get blood meal....I dont know.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

It could be just that it’s a drought year, and they moved off, because your property wasn’t providing enough water for them, but yeah, I guess you can’t discount the possibilities of EHD either. 

im in the same boat as you, I couldn’t believe how slow my cameras were, because I’ve had history in the areas , and know the normal amounts to expect. Unfortunately,  I found EHD had hit

• Like 1

From your experience, is it more likely to come back, once it’s in an area? 

i just got an update from the DEC. So far they’ve tallied 450 likely EHD mortalities. 
also, added that the impact on the local herd is unknown and won’t know until after  Hunting harvest data comes in.
I dont think it's more likely. I do however think that an outbreak exposes a location that is conducive to spawning the midges in the right conditions, so if it happens on the area it can happen again given the similar conditions

I dont think it's more likely. I do however think that an outbreak exposes a location that is conducive to spawning the midges in the right conditions, so if it happens on the area it can happen again given the similar conditions

I assume standing stagnant water is worse than moving stream water?

Yes, from everything I’ve read, the midges breed in warm shallow stagnant water, With muddy banks being prime habitat. Orange County is full of shallow muddy ponds, probably why it’s so prevalent right now.

but, couple areas found dead were mountains with little feeder streams, Or creeks with good running water, so I think really can happen just about anywhere, there’s a concentration of deer. 

• Like 2

Yorehntr, are you from the area? I'm assuming you are from your ability to identify specific areas. Have you heard of any areas in Sullivan County affected?  Thanks for your input on the subject btw. 

I saw you posted a picture from Montgomery. The wallkill river describes exactly the climate that you describe when is comes to EHD.

1 hour ago, corydd7 said:

Yorehntr, are you from the area? I'm assuming you are from your ability to identify specific areas. Have you heard of any areas in Sullivan County affected?  Thanks for your input on the subject btw. 

I saw you posted a picture from Montgomery. The wallkill river describes exactly the climate that you describe when is comes to EHD.

Im from rock tavern/Washingtonville. I haven’t heard anything out that way. The dec biologist hasn’t mentioned anything about Sullivan Either. Really, I haven’t heard about anything much west of goshen.

I don’t know if there’s anything to it, but seems to me, it’s expanding north more than anything. Possibly Mountainous terrain slows it down, because deer populations are generally lower?

i heard they found some dead in crum elbow creek in Hyde park. Which is up the line a ways.

• Like 1

Have you considered moving the cams?

• Like 2

Yes, from everything I’ve read, the midges breed in warm shallow stagnant water, With muddy banks being prime habitat. Orange County is full of shallow muddy ponds, probably why it’s so prevalent right now.

but, couple areas found dead were mountains with little feeder streams, Or creeks with good running water, so I think really can happen just about anywhere, there’s a concentration of deer. 

If this is centralized to certain areas , I would think they could treat the water sources/muddy banks where those bastids breed. I remember them spraying from planes during some mosquito disease (encephalitis )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...Especially with deer potentially having new travel routes due to down trees from storm?

Guy went to the dr with pain all over and said, “Doc when I touch here it hurts, and when I touch here it hurts and when I touch HERE it hurts.
Doc: “you have a broken finger!”

...Especially with deer potentially having new travel routes due to down trees from storm?

Guy went to the dr with pain all over and said, “Doc when I touch here it hurts, and when I touch here it hurts and when I touch HERE it hurts.

Doc: “you have a broken finger!”

I still have the normal 10-14 different bucks on camera like a typical July - September, just less action day to day, and for whatever reason no 8pts this year. Considering no water on the property and no acorns with the drought could be why. Also we killed 7 bucks in the past 4 years.

And if EHD is present, then it’s actually been a great year

There have been a number of cases of EHD in rabbits reported across the country:

A deadly virus is spreading quickly among wild rabbits in southwestern North America, threatening populations and possibly endangered species. Last week the virus, which causes a hemorrhagic disease, reached Southern California.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/deadly-virus-killing-wild-rabbits-north-america

I wonder what effect, all the  dead deer polluting the water ways, has on Wildlife? I imagine the bacteria levels must be off the charts in a lot of these swamps and streams.

the day after we went to Stewart I found 7 in a small wood lot in beacon. Mostly fawns and yearlings, one pretty nice buck.

As a big fan of shed hunting(finding dead heads is a big part of the game too) I would have a real hard time leaving those racks there. I know the DEC releases tell you not to handle them but......what if I just cut of the sheds?!?
Are all dead heads found after the season to be left alone?