EHD outbreak in NY?

ANTLERS

“Technically” I think, supposed To get a possession tag from DEC. Not really sure if they’ll bother going out of their way,  to get someone for a couple dead heads, but never know.

My taxidermist almost had a finger amputated, by cutting a rack off a rotting deer. Bacteria went in, through an open cut.  so if it stinks, best to wear gloves. 

• Like 3

Can’t confirm, but heard from a pretty reliable source today, that the DEC is evaluating Stewart forest , for whether or not to allow deer hunting this year.  That would be a great help to the herd there!
I am sorry to have doubted you. Also looks like you guys had a nice GTG aside from all the dead deer

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

On 9/24/2020 at 7:34 AM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I still have the normal 10-14 different bucks on camera like a typical July - September, just less action day to day, and for whatever reason no 8pts this year. Considering no water on the property and no acorns with the drought could be why. Also we killed 7 bucks in the past 4 years.

And if EHD is present, then it’s actually been a great year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Your oak tree must be the only one in NY with no acorns cause every one I’ve seen is loaded 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

I am sorry to have doubted you. Also looks like you guys had a nice GTG aside from all the dead deer

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

No hard feelings, can’t blame anyone for being a little skeptical these days.

• Like 1

3S is mostly down with acorn production this year after many booming years. Some people are reporting occasional trees holding acorns and those tree will produce the most deer this year! You find one with acorns hunt it hard in years with few producers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Your oak tree must be the only one in NY with no acorns cause every one I’ve seen is loaded 

Wrong. Read above. Why would I lie? Confirmed by several others. Definitely not a bumper crop this year for our area. Maybe all the heat stress?

11 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Wrong. Read above. Why would I lie? Confirmed by several others. Definitely not a bumper crop this year for our area. Maybe all the heat stress?

Interesting thought about the heat stress. I’ve attributed it mostly to the snow and cold weather in May. Figured it might have killed buds. Not saying I’m right that was what I thought of. Perhaps you’re correct as well

Is it every other year for whites? I always heard a few bumper years followed by a down year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your correct mixed the two up in my post. Reds are on a two year cycle and whites are every year....well sometimes.

One property I own has mix of the two, whites are usually cleaned up before the hunting season starts. Reds drop a little later. My other larger property is up higher and only has red oak. Its a poor year so far unless they are really late dropping
  • Like 1