EHD outbreak in NY?

ANTLERS

Your correct mixed the two up in my post. Reds are on a two year cycle and whites are every year....well sometimes.

One property I own has mix of the two, whites are usually cleaned up before the hunting season starts. Reds drop a little later. My other larger property is up higher and only has red oak. Its a poor year so far unless they are really late dropping

I have mostly reds so this makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9 minutes ago, Yorehntr said:

Look at this

3FE09633-A642-4BA0-BBA7-CC179C9557CF.jpeg

Who lopped off the heads of those bucks?  Isn't there a risk of spreading this disease if the heads are taken from where they were found and then moved to another location?  These mites could still be on the hide and then jump off to spread in another location.  Don't know if this is possible but I think it would be best to leave the carcasses intact where they lay, no??

Who lopped off the heads of those bucks?  Isn't there a risk of spreading this disease if the heads are taken from where they were found and then moved to another location?  These mites could still be on the hide and then jump off to spread in another location.  Don't know if this is possible but I think it would be best to leave the carcasses intact where they lay, no??

Doesn't work like that.

Its caused by a midge bite. They dont carry it or spread it. Almost a shame that it dont, because as deadly and fast they die from it it would be self limiting. Alas it isn't. A deer walked though mud at water, midges latch on an bite....few days later deer dies.

Yeah,  I believe the midge is just the carrier/transporter from deer to deer. So a midge, must bite an infected deer first, then bring it to an uninfected individual.

the virus dies within an hour of the deers death. Not legal, but probably best to put any sick deer Down on sight, because as long as it’s alive, it’s providing virus infused blood to the vector. 

Cwd, is a different monster,  Where the transportation and handling of dead, can spread the disease.

2 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Doesn't work like that.

Its caused by a midge bite. They dont carry it or spread it. Almost a shame that it dont, because as deadly and fast they die from it it would be self limiting. Alas it isn't. A deer walked though mud at water, midges latch on an bite....few days later deer dies.

There is absolutely NO possibility that a midge could be imbedded in the hide somewhere?  How about if a midge takes a bite out of the dead deer, could it now carry the virus or must the deer be alive with the virus when bitten for the midge to spread it?  I would doubt anyone really knows for sure.

There is absolutely NO possibility that a midge could be imbedded in the hide somewhere?  How about if a midge takes a bite out of the dead deer, could it now carry the virus or must the deer be alive with the virus when bitten for the midge to spread it?  I would doubt anyone really knows for sure.

It's been studied for about 100 years. Its vector transmitted. The virus is carried mostly by Culicoides variipennis. The midges live in the mud in very shallow water. They dont live nor travel on the animal. EHD is not spread from deer to deer.
Unlike CWD , EHD its causes and effect are pretty well established.

hang deads on a wall? lol
What else would you do with them? Euros would still be beautiful! If you don't find a euro beautiful then you don't admire the beauty that nature can provide and for that I feel sorry for you

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton