EHD outbreak in NY?

ANTLERS

Stop with your alarmist posts .....its no big deal. Just ask Crappie

Why would you get so defensive of me asking questions?
I acknowledged it sucks, I wish it didn’t happen but I am still confused by the DEC’s lack of response.
And I don’t know you or yore or Matt except from a few posts on this topic. I like to get info from people I know(and lets be honest, trust) before I sell my bow and pack my gear for the season since there are no deer left in all of NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Do you report show these finds to the dec? Local sportsman / conservation clubs? 

Just seems odd if you keep finding dead but ask the dec and they dont have reports of more found tested... 

If they are finding them they should be reporting them.        Sept. 4th:

ALBANY, NY – The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) today confirmed that several white-tailed deer in the towns of Nelsonville and Cold Spring in Putnam County and near Goshen in Orange County died after contracting Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD). EHD is a viral disease of white-tailed deer that cannot be contracted by humans.

DEC wildlife biologists collected half a dozen deer carcasses in Putnam County and submitted the carcasses to the Wildlife Health Unit for necropsy. Tissue samples were sent to the Animal Health Diagnostic Center at Cornell University where the preliminary diagnosis of EHD was confirmed. DEC also sent samples from four deer from Orange County where the preliminary diagnosis of EHD was confirmed

Hunters should not handle or eat any deer that appears sick or acts strangely. DEC will continue to monitor the situation. Sightings of sick or dying deer should be reported to the nearest DEC Regional Office or to an Environmental Conservation Police Officer. In addition, the Department of Agriculture and Markets has alerted deer farmers and veterinarians throughout the state to be aware of the disease and to report suspicious cases.

https://www.rocklandreport.com/dec-confirms-epizootic-hemorrhagic-disease-in-putnam-and-orange-county-deer/

• Like 1

Yeah - report any deer you find, even if it's already in a known area. I think DEC is collecting all the data and will put out another press release / or report once the EHD reports slow down or stop.

Talked to a nice wildlife official out of the new paltz about it last week. He was very informative. If you have any questions, try giving them a call or sending an email. They were quick to respond. 

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 845-256-3098

Yeah - report any deer you find, even if it's already in a known area. I think DEC is collecting all the data and will put out another press release / or report once the EHD reports slow down or stop.
Talked to a nice wildlife official out of the new paltz about it last week. He was very informative. If you have any questions, try giving them a call or sending an email. They were quick to respond. 
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 845-256-3098

Welcome to the forum!!!!

• Like 1

Outdoor News article- 2 take aways for me from page two

1289c4b86b284e7d6ef33bf658ca38dc.jpg&key=7657c7d10ed3d4ec72b6bfb0a20b91472fe3cd5c0c84ea37b9f753cb8d6e5178
14527f01b01e27dabf00bc6b8df06ab3.jpg&key=cabff99c0dc85a37f1592b9e80bcf13710bcc2a4c46be23678af5ef2c8d8698e

Still sucks but this source is a touch more credible IMHO than our flock of new members

Careful. Facts and articles like that may get you called a Googan

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

1 hour ago, Trial153 said:

Only in NY hunters are stupid enough to think EHD has no effect on their deer population.

Bill Winke's farm in Iowa was hit hard with it ,he said it took 5 years for his numbers to return . It's a localized thing from the few articles i read . 

• Like 1

I don’t know, thinking about not reporting them anymore. Don’t want to make it seem like a big deal. The DEC already confirmed a whole bunch (About 6) In Nelsonville and Goshen. Why count them? “no lasting impact” 

I reported them for you. I sent this thread to DEC and region 3 specifically. I’ll report back when they respond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I reported them for you. I sent this thread to DEC and region 3 specifically. I’ll report back when they respond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
They'll probably say dudes just a troll

#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

They'll probably say dudes just a troll

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Wait a second, you’re calling me the troll? 
I came to this forum to inform fellow hunters that there’s a serious EHD out break in 2 wmu’s. Since you and others , considered the news “fake”.

Since then I provided MANY pictures At the request of the forum members, to back up my claims. I ALSO mentioned I’ve been REPORTING my findings to the DEC. What have you done, But claim fellow hunters with FIRSTHAND experiences of the effects of this virus as alarmist?

Hey jerk man, this Year, might your only chance to get your hands on a big rack. Just bring your battery operated reciprocating saw up to 3m and 3N. 

• Like 1

I came to this forum to inform fellow hunters that there’s a serious EHD out break in 2 wmu’s. Since you and others , considered the news “fake”.
 Since then I provided MANY pictures At the request of the forum members, to back up my claims. I ALSO mentioned I’ve been REPORTING my findings to the DEC. What have you done, But claim fellow hunters with FIRSTHAND experiences of the effects of this virus as alarmist?
Hey jerk man, this Year, might your only chance to get your hands on a big rack. Just bring your battery operated reciprocating saw up to 3m and 3N. 

Not likely. I hunt 3S so...

#WeDemandADislikeButton

So sensitive...after I shared one of your posts with a deer manager who was called to collect a EHD specimen, he replied “If there's truth to that he's either in another state or deer are dropping dead and no one is reporting it to the DEC.”
I know this guy for 8 years as a biologist and a deer management manager. I still tend to believe him over some random pics from a random guy.

• Like 3