Spin off of the knife thread: sharpeners

14 hours ago, onlybrowning said:

I love the knife thread and feel like I haven’t found that perfect knife yet for gutting and for processing. The thing I struggle with is sharpening. What do you guys all use for a sharpener to keep your blades tuned up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most makers will put a factory edge back on your knife either for free, or for a few bucks . 

I should probably clarify a bit as well. I have a stone and I’m decent with it. I have a chefs choice manual that seems “worn out” (if that can happen). My issue is not a sharp knife to field dress with, but instead I’m looking for a good way to get one back in good shape after hitting a bone or the like. Loving the info so far. Thanks!

My father in law is very particular about knifes and sharpening.  He gave me an old buck 110 that I make sure to use whenever I am hunting at his place.  When it gets dull I give it to him and he gets it razor sharp.

He also gave me a fancy Callimus fillet knife.  I keep that sharp myself with a stone that has a coarse side and a smoother side.  It holds a good edge for 4 or 5 fish.  I just finished using it on a batch:

20200905_102027.jpg

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

My father in law is very particular about knifes and sharpening.  He gave me an old buck 110 that I make sure to use whenever I am hunting at his place.  When it gets dull I give it to him and he gets it razor sharp.

He also gave me a fancy Callimus fillet knife.  I keep that sharp myself with a stone that has a coarse side and a smoother side.  It holds a good edge for 4 or 5 fish.  I just finished using it on a batch:

20200905_102027.jpg

I have that exact same Camillus filet knife.  My sister and BIL gave it to me 29 years ago for standing up in their wedding party.  Also gave me a Camillus folding buck knife, very similar to the Buck 110 folder.  

I saw the filet knife in the Camillus knife store in the village, vintage it was $80 NIB.  Included the leather sheath.  

26 minutes ago, Otto said:

I have that exact same Camillus filet knife.  My sister and BIL gave it to me 29 years ago for standing up in their wedding party.  Also gave me a Camillus folding buck knife, very similar to the Buck 110 folder.  

I saw the filet knife in the Camillus knife store in the village, vintage it was $80 NIB.  Included the leather sheath.  

It does work well, and it has a very narrow blade.  I use an old, made in Finland, Rapala one everywhere else. I leave the Camillus up at the in-laws place in the Adirondacks.  

Edited by wolc123

Get a havalon , you'll never find a sharper knife and you don't ever have to sharpen it , win win.

I too am a bit leery of slicing my own wrist when using that surgical tool. Those thing are so sharp I would even know it’s my blood until I’m passed out!

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Get a havalon , you'll never find a sharper knife and you don't ever have to sharpen it , win win.

Some guys like to sharpen their own  knives, the same way some like to make their own arrows , or cut up their own meat . Although I do see the attraction of the Havalon . 

Actually putting a touch up my my blade the night before opening day is a ritual I look forward to .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

Some guys like to sharpen their own  knives, the same way some like to make their own arrows , or cut up their own meat . Although I do see the attraction of the Havalon . 

Nothing like getting the collection out every now and then spending time honing the blades to a razor sharp edge and admiring the craftsmanship that goes into making of a fine knife.:yes:

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Shit! Reading this thread got me thinking about knives, I have collected Bird Hunter knives for a lot of years and I think I have most. So just for the heck of it I log in on Ebay and do a search for Bird hook knives not expecting much and up pops a guy with some 40 year old nice quality Japanese Seki new old stock Bird Hunters, one of course I do not have so I bought one.  At least at $25.00 it was good buy, freaking diseased.:declare:

Al

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, crappyice said:

I too am a bit leery of slicing my own wrist when using that surgical tool. Those thing are so sharp I would even know it’s my blood until I’m passed out!

Just like in woodworking; its the dull tool that'll hurt you, not the sharp ones.

Made some knives last couple years, fun hobby. Given almost all of them away.

I use DMT diamond stones for almost everything, and ceramic to hone but thats mostly woodworking stuff.

So I sharpen tools a fair amount, at least once a week 2 or 3 chisels/plane blade/etc.....way more then average hunter for a couple deer a year (maybe same as someone trapping) and know how to get a really good edge.

That said, I carry a Havalon for hunting.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

Just like in woodworking; its the dull tool that'll hurt you, not the sharp ones.

Made some knives last couple years, fun hobby. Given almost all of them away.

I use DMT diamond stones for almost everything, and ceramic to hone but thats mostly woodworking stuff.

So I sharpen tools a fair amount, at least once a week 2 or 3 chisels/plane blade/etc.....way more then average hunter for a couple deer a year (maybe same as someone trapping) and know how to get a really good edge.

That said, I carry a Havalon for hunting.

I tried my hand at forging last winter, second knife I made was damascus then another and another..all need handles and sharpening.

I never carry nice knives in the woods 50/50 I'll loose them. 

The havalon definitely looks like my next purchase.

• Like 1

I am VERY particular with my knives. My knife drawer looks like my fishin rod rack....like a golf bag....I have a specific tool for a specific job. Chef’s knife, carving knife, paring knife, bread knife, several filet knives, etc. etc.  They are all razor sharp. Mrs. Squirrel refuses to wash them, no joke, she’s scared, she’s had bad experiences with them before. 

Having said that, I use a course stone to profile, a fine stone to start the edge, a strop to refine the edge and a steel to maintain the edge. 

I used to carry the outdoor edge swingblade (love the skinner on it). I switched to the folding model with the replaceable blades so I could leave the steel at home (yes I had one for my hunting sack). Lately, my goal has been to reduce as much weight as possible and travel as light as possible. I carry a spare replacement blade, just in case (they are thin) and still carry the swingblade as backup.