New bass rod

johnplav

Time to replace my bass rod.  I ordered a small Shimano Sahara and I’ll go check out rods in person this weekend.  I’m partial to st. Croix but I’ll see what feels good in 6’6” 2 piece.  This will be for general use, a step up from the ultralight that’s always in my car.  Probably go with 8 or 10 lb flouro. 

• Like 1

X2 on St Croix.   I just bought a 4 piece for a camping trip, 6’6” medium action.  Still figuring out which reel to pair it with.  I am partial to the Pflueger Presidents at around $60.  But I am looking at the Shimano Stradic too.  I really should just use one of the reels already in my inventory, but I think a new pole needs a new reel. 

• Like 1

A 6'6" is a great general size. I prefer a fast tip and one piece for most of my rods.  Not a fan of the action of the ugly sticks at all.  But shimano makes some good rods at a decent price.   I have a couple of St Croix.  I like them esp for light action like 6lb.  But if using it for bass in the weeds and throwing spinner baits or frogs I def prefer the fast tip.  And if using soft plastics for good feel go with a one piece. 

6 hours ago, Otto said:

X2 on St Croix.   I just bought a 4 piece for a camping trip, 6’6” medium action.  Still figuring out which reel to pair it with.  I am partial to the Pflueger Presidents at around $60.  But I am looking at the Shimano Stradic too.  I really should just use one of the reels already in my inventory, but I think a new pole needs a new reel. 

Check out the Abugarcia revo reels. I used to love the presidents but it gets real old fishing the spillways with such a slow retrieval rate. 

• Like 1

I prefer Berkley lightning rods for bass.  I use a 6 ft light action spinning rod for smallmouth.  90 percent of the time, I use a 1/4 oz. Bucktail jig on 8 pound test fluorocarbon line with that.  It is sensitive enough, that I can almost feel the fish breath on the jig.

For largemouth, I use a 7 ft heavy action casting rod. Most of the time with 3/8 oz spinnerbaits, or weedless jig/swimbait combo on 14 pound mono.  That works well for quickly winching the fish out of heavy cover.

These are very reasonably priced rods that can handle some abuse and provide good feel. I bought the spinning rod new this year after having got about 10 years out of the my old one. When it arrived in the mail, the cardboard shipping tube was broke in the middle but the rod was still good.

I also prefer the single piece rods most of the time, but I do have a second,  slightly less sensitive, 2 piece light action spinning rod, which is easier to transport in a car or airplane.  I take that one along as a spare on most outings.  I will be using it as my primary in the next couple minutes up in the Adirondacks.

3 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

I’ve got a few st croix, but I’d recommend looking at fenwick hmg also. I always tend to grab it for bass or walleye. 

Ill 2nd the fenwick rods.cousin has 2 and i have a fenwick venture(older)for my bbaitcasters,solid!im a 1pc guy,not a fan of 2pc unless dont have a choice