Anyone use onX gps ? reviews please

rob-c

8 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Is that the Offroad maps?

If you mean GPS through phone, It’s good enough. App is still a bit clunky but some easy upgrades would make it great. Download offline maps if you know you won’t be within service.  If reception is spotty where you’re hunting, go to offline mode or you’ll get some aberrant points miles away along your track. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

If you mean GPS through phone, It’s good enough. App is still a bit clunky but some easy upgrades would make it great. Download offline maps if you know you won’t be within service.  If reception is spotty where you’re hunting, go to offline mode or you’ll get some aberrant points miles away along your track. 

3 minutes ago, rob-c said:

It’s a gps app for hunting. 

I have OnX for hunting, works well...I just never heard it referred to as OnX GPS

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Great points....also, if you don't have reception and are using offline mode, switch your phone to airplane mode to save your battery.

• Like 2

I used on-x in CO last year. It was very useful. For Long Island, I really haven't used it, as I tend to go to a spots that I am already familiar with and some of those spots are small 25 acre parcels. Out west, a section is 640 acres and is considered a small parcel. If you are hunting large parcels or unfamiliar ground, i think it will be useful.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, adkhunter71 said:

Great points....also, if you don't have reception and are using offline mode, switch your phone to airplane mode to save your battery.

The off line mode really appeals to me as I believe some state land parcels near me won’t have service. 

8 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Got ya, so tell me your thoughts on it .

Its nice to mark waypoints.  I have my home treestands, my spots at work, and my spots at camp in the Dak’s.  I like using the boot tracker when I scout, I can mark where I see rubs, scrapes, etc.  

• Like 1

I have used OnX extensively hunting in New Mexico, Colorado and Wyoming. It’s also good for finding public lands in NY or anywhere for that matter. I find that the actual owners of private lands tend to not be very up to date with real estate transactions but you always know where the boundaries are. The downloadable maps work great for areas without internet coverage.

overall, it’s a great resource that I use a lot.

• Like 2

Works like a GPS. Can mark stand locations, rubs, scrapes, downed deer, last blood, etc. Gets you to within 20 feet or so. Helps identify public land boundaries. You can e-scout and mark areas that you are interested in and navigate to it. If you already have a Garmin or similar, On-x does not add that much for navigating.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 9:11 PM, Jeremy K said:

I use it and like it , they recently added a weather station feature which is nice . You can send people way points with photos attached now too. 

I use it also and I love  it... Ive never shared waypoints though.  Does that feature work while offline and no cell service?

On 9/6/2020 at 5:14 PM, Kmartinson said:

Onus seems great. For me I like huntstand, it seems pretty user friendly

We used to use Huntstand regularly, but the last two years it deleted all of our waypoints for our hunting property about two weeks before the season, so buyer beware. 

We used to use Huntstand regularly, but the last two years it deleted all of our waypoints for our hunting property about two weeks before the season, so buyer beware. 

I just checked my HuntStand and all my waypoints from last year are still
There....you scared me!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I just checked my HuntStand and all my waypoints from last year are still
There....you scared me!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first year it happened, I contacted their customer support and they restored them. The second year I also contacted them and they still haven't responded. It wasn't just me either, every member of the property that shared the waypoints had the same issue. All of our tracks, sightings, harvests and waypoints were deleted.