Hawk identification

ANTLERS

4 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Osprey

we have many of them “down here” around the marsh

I can remember when they were a threatened species, along with bald eagles....In fact the eagles may even have been listed as endangered... The recovery of both species is one of conservation's premier success stories....The key was banning DDT, which was used in massive quantities until it was banned back in the 1960s...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I can remember when they were a threatened species, along with bald eagles....In fact the eagles may even have been listed as endangered... The recovery of both species is one of conservation's premier success stories....The key was banning DDT, which was used in massive quantities until it was banned back in the 1960s...

Amazingly, we have had a resurgence of bald eagles down here, also. There is a pair that nest within a mile from my house. I see them all the time now. The first time I saw one of them, I was on my deck with my wife and she asked me,  “What kind of bird is that? It’s huge.” Took me a minute but I was like, “OMG, that’s a bald eagle!” I have been noticing less rabbits over the past few seasons. 

• Like 2