Is it Possible to Overscout an Area?

Northcountryman

I was reading an article in one of my hunting mags about scouting in the off-season and the authors main thesis pertained to overscouting . Basically, he was saying that if you’re constantly going in to check cams , setup new ones and are waltzing around in there pretty regular that you run the risk of burning the spot For good , even if it’s weeks before the season starts . I think that’s a bit of An exaggeration But wanted to put it out there : what do you think? 

• Like 1

For deer,  they dont like human smell. My best hunts happen when I haven't been in my stand for weeks.... or even months. I dont run cams in the blocks just by the roads and food sources. Deer smell your presence for a month. Check your cams in a down poor. You will never trick a bucks nose. Olfactory for miles.

I scout everything, deer never forget when they come in contact with people.  I think Penn state did alot of research regarding yearly movement and human pressure is the biggest factor in thier movement.

I think it depends where you hunt. Public land on LI is a thoroughfare for hikers bikers, atvs and people in general. I think deer get accustomed to human scent at least on the trails. Deer almost have to cross those trails at some point to browse in the neighbors backyards. Welcome to suburbia. It may be very different in other places.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I think it depends on the property and the deer itself.  If there's a hiking trail getting used all the time they get used to human scent so they become more tolerant.  Jsut like on private with them getting used to atvs riding around.  Granted older deer would probably not like it regardless.  However every deer has it's own personality so some may tolerate more than others.  I've read articles of people killing big bucks next to public land parking lots all the time.  So those deer clearly see and smell people all the time.

Personally I make sure all my stuff is done by the end of this weekend every year. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, cdbing said:

I think it depends where you hunt. Public land on LI is a thoroughfare for hikers bikers, atvs and people in general. I think deer get accustomed to human scent at least on the trails. Deer almost have to cross those trails at some point to browse in the neighbors backyards. Welcome to suburbia. It may be very different in other places.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Posted yours while I typed mine

9 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I think it depends on the property and the deer itself.  If there's a hiking trail getting used all the time they get used to human scent so they become more tolerant.  Jsut like on private with them getting used to atvs riding around.  Granted older deer would probably not like it regardless.  However every deer has it's own personality so some may tolerate more than others.  I've read articles of people killing big bucks next to public land parking lots all the time.  So those deer clearly see and smell people all the time.

Personally I make sure all my stuff is done by the end of this weekend every year. 

This is my same. Want it all done by labor weekend and I don't step foot in there again. But it's a property where people aren't out there all the time .  So if all of a sudden there is people wandering around the deer are gonna move across the property line where no one is bothering them.  

Even during season I try not to burn out one stand by using it all the time. Esp for the local deer , a wandering buck in the rut might not care or have been around to be spooked but I didn't want to keep busting out the deer I am hunting.  

My buddy in the past hasnt been able to keep away from checking those cams at his place and he keeps getting busted and they next to his stands. He's been better about it this year and hope he scores. He has some nice bucks and a good setup there beside our lease.  

I think the less impact on your hunting area the better esp if it isn't common for people to be there. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Yes, I agree , great point !Rockland county deer would certainly behave differently then deep woods Adirondack deer, some who have never  even seen A human!!

Edited by Northcountryman

No....Yes..?

Like others have said, it depends on where you are hunting and how much pressure there is from other variables.

Most deer hunters who own land aren't out there stomping around all over the place all year. They know the land, have learned the general routines of deer, have stands set up appropriately, and won't be in there screwing around to far into September.

Public land is a whole other creature. If the land has hiking trails all over the place and gets a lot of traffic from other hunters or hikers/bikers/nature lovers/ bird watchers then the deer may not be a jittery as as an area that barely gets any traffic from people. Example: An area about 45 minutes from be is very urban as it's surrounded by houses, main roads, business', and had a huge amount of hiking trails scattered through it. There are some nice deer in the place, but those deer aren't as skittish as deer that are 20 minutes from me that's more forest then a hiking destination, so less pressure.

There are places in the Catskills that see little to no traffic, and there are no actual trails so deer in there will be far more wary. They don't see or smell human scent very often.

The big woods of the ADK's is a whole other world. I'm not taking the state lands that are just outside a city, I mean the real ADK's where if you get turned around you can be out there for a while and might end up in a very bad way. Deer up there hardly ever see humans and will be much harder to kill, but that just makes filling a tag far more rewarding.

There are middle grounds, and exceptions to everything. So if you hunt mainly high pressure/traffic public land, then no, even scouting in the season will have little impact.

If you hunt public woods with little to no traffic then yes, be out of the woods by at latest the middle of September.

Edited by DirtTime

On my property the does know us, I think the bucks get to know us. Walking I get within 40 yards of does before they run. They even walk onto the shooting range while we're shooting.

Im in the woods almost every day with the dogs tractor quads I usually cut most of my firewood in the fall. I've scared bucks out of their beds on the tractor.

The bigger bucks are on camera in daylight when I haven't been there in a week or so.

With that knowledge Being my first year going for deer(bucks) I'm going to limit my use but am torn on leaving it completely quiet or not.

Agree with Swamp-bucks opinion 100%. Chances are BBs won't tolerate this kind of regular intrusions, but JMO the does pretty much stay put. Thus the old adage - where the girls are the boys will eventually show-up! It's been my experience on property I owned and routinely walk about or rode an ATV around, the deer seem to get used to the smell and don''t get alarmed. Of course, everyone has their own theory.... Again JMO, but it's difficult for me to justify buying property, paying taxes on it and not enjoying it to its' fullest!!

I did not run cameras last year, and none this year because of my schedule. Last year I killed 2 nice 8 points.

I try to do my scouting during gun hunting, and early spring.

I love getting pics on camera, but I feel the additional time spent setting up and moving them does scare the deer away.

Scouting in the summer does little good because the deer pattern will change.

I feel I have a pretty good idea of deer movement from what I pick up from the year before. Always pay attention this year, and apply it next year. Look for trails to see which direction they move. Look at trees and food sources being used. If you find oak trees remember where. Watch for acorn growth on nearby trees on the road to see if crop is doing well.

Watch local fields this time of year to see the deer herd. 

Alot of scouting now can be done from the car. If you go in now to scout out the land deer will know your presence and you may have lost the opportunity of surprise. 

• Thanks 1