Second rut??

schroon87

Yesterday i seen the most deer in one outing that i have seen all year. I have seen some mention of a second late rut and was wondering what that was all about. I have been hunting my spot pretty heavily and yesterday i found some very large fresh tree rubs on a well traveled trail. I also found multiple spots in the same chunk of woods where a deer has urinated and it appears to be very bloody, Is this possibly a hot doe? Just wondering since i plan on hunting heavy again next week with the smoke pole. Thanks

Does that are not mated in the first rut will go through another estrus about 28 days later. Bucks will respond accordingly.

Full moon and snow covered ground, I saw a group of deer for the first time in three weeks this morning.

By anecdotal accounts the first rut was weak this year do to high temps, but from my own observations was right on the full moon, November 9,10 (check my live from the stand report from that day: ).

I would say with this cooperative weather there is potential for a decent second rut that may rival the split first rut.

Edited by 7J Everyday
  • Like 1

Causes aside...I've never seen so much second rut sign in my life - unforuntately I'm not seeing it in the stand at a shooting distance.

I shot a young doe in a covered, 4wheeler trail last Sunday. She came in an stopped in a spot that looked like it had been muddied up (we had some decent rain just before). I shot her..when I got to her, I realized it was an entirely new scrape the size of a car hood. Turns out she was getting ready to work it right as I shot...but it didn't connect with me.

During the bow season there were three nearby scrapes - 10 yards away...so i was shocked to see that new one pop up so late. Later that day I found fresh rubs and scrapes all over. Seen chasing that night on another property about 30-35 miles away so I was surprised since it is so pronounced this year.

• Like 1

Fresh rubs and scrapes all over the farm here right now. 7J hit the nail on the head, and I am thinking that the warm weather during the main rut kept alot of the does from being bred. If this cold weather holds up, the next week or so should be fantastic. I had the biggest shooter of the year in front of me today, stupid property line kept me from pulling the trigger. Saw a few doe this evening as well, just couldnt get a shot. More action today than in the last 2 1/2 weeks.

• Like 1

This has me excited to get out tomorrow morning with the cold and deer activity up. I am curious to see if there is any second rut markings or sightings in my area! Like mentioned above the rut we normally like was very weak. I have been noticing more deer out driving to and from work. Also have been hearing about success stories on here and through friends+family.

good luck everyone

• 7 years later...

28 days after the 10th is what I was thinking.  Had a horrible November, hoping December is better!  Have yet to get back into the woods since the ADK trip.  Almost a full month of no bow during rut is killing me!  Hope to get out and have some action this week!  Good luck all!  

41 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

28 days after the 10th is what I was thinking.  Had a horrible November, hoping December is better!  Have yet to get back into the woods since the ADK trip.  Almost a full month of no bow during rut is killing me!  Hope to get out and have some action this week!  Good luck all!  

19 minutes ago, blackradio said:

Saw a big 8chasing a doe and doe fawn through a big open field last night driving home from work in westchester.

This thread is 8 years old!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1