Dispensing powder

phade

I used T7 pellets up until last season...I now use BH209.

I've always wondered how precise you can get with loose powder measurements. Obviously you want to repeat precisely each time to acheive results and I'm wondering if I'm having issues with it.

I use the T/C clear measuring tool and settled on 85 grains according to the tool. When I fill it up, there seems to be a slight variation as to how level (precise) I can get it before closing the nozzle and putting them into tubes. The tubes always seem to show a little lower (around 80 grains) despite not being a precise measuring tool.

80 percent of my shooting is in my backyard at 50 yds. I usually sight in 1.5 in high to carry me to 100 yards. When I get to the range I can usually only get out 100 yds so that's as far as I'll practice.

This year I moved to Harvester Scorpions in a 300 gr. Last year I shot the Hornady SSTs at 250.

I've been toying with my planned hunter (Vortek UL) and my groups are OK at 50 yds but not touching...they're pretty close. In my Wolf, I can load with two T7 pellets to clover...same sabot. My range session proves more of the same...slightly better performance out of the Wolf/Pellets. The groups on the UL open a bit but not too much. Just enough to make me want better.

Right now the Wolf is set up for 1 pellet and shoots lights out. My FIL will be using my Wolf this season so I want to get this Vortek dialed in.

I make sure my loading process is repeatable...so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong with the loose powder measuring. Any suggestions?

Edit...I should say my groups are not L/R issues...mostly vertical. I wish I took a pic of the last shooting session.

Edited by phade

I weigh my charges on my reloading scale. Everyone the same. That beinbg said, I get the same results from using the same measure you have. I shoot 100 grains bh 209 a harvestor crush rib sabot and 240 hornady xtp. This is inmy Encore and H&R sidekick. I am very happy with the loads. I guess to answer the question, I really do not see any real measurable difference from a measure or a scale. I would suggest moving the charge up or dowan a bit abnd see if they tighten up any.

The Vortek has the ported barrel correct? I would also go up for down in charges. For me I start @ 70 and go up by ten until I find the sweet spot. BH209 is a progressive burning powder and likes a tight fit bullet. Maybe change the sabot with the scorpians or go to the 250 version which I think Harvester carries.

Just a thought.

Edited by sbuff

I thought about changing the charge amount but for some reason the variance popped in my head as an possible cause.

I have a small bow scale that I could use.

weighing by WEIGHT and by VOLUME are 2 diffrent things so make sure u understand that...120g by VOLUME of Blackhorn 209 power roughly weighs 84grain by WEIGHT

Yes, I understand the measuring difference b/t volume/weight. My purpose of the scale was to acheive a more consistent charge amount. BH209 is a dream compared to 777...today's session just reinforced it. About the only qualm I have is having to be carful pouring the powder with the ported barrel on the Vortek UL.

I upped to 95 grains via volume and moved to the SSTs....groups tightened right up..as said it fits much tighter than the Scorpions did. Thanks for the tips, all. I did have one really wierd happening where the SST entered the target tubmling...it left a very distict tumbling hole and was a fler high about 4". The gun had just been swabbed with a dry patch and it was seated according to my marked range rod as all other shots were. Surely wierd. Only one like that out of the entire session.

I still prefer the Harvesters/Scorpions based on the deer carnage but I guess that'll have to be reserved for the Wolf for now. No local place carries Harvester so I'll order a few combos in the off-season.

Edited by phade