How long before season opener to set up

luberhill

I won’t be using it till crossbow season in two months

i wanted to wait till I see activity in my cameras first to know where to set it up.

its an Ameristep doghouse

the area has every year lots of runs and scrapes and trails ..

maybe the bucks aren’t in there yet ? 
so maybe set it up now and brush it in and do some shooting lanes ?

im still two months away

I leave all of mine up year round.  I try to inspect them all, replacing straps, chains and other parts as necessary, prior to October first.  I no longer deer hunt the Southern zone until the last 2 weeks of archery season.

Last year, I turkey hunted from my favorite elevated blind, on the last weekend in October. I then killed a 3.5 year old buck out of it, on my first deer hunt, the following Saturday.

Generally, I have had the most success on the first hunt of the season, from any stand.  My archery seasons have been much more successful, since I have been waiting for the last 2 weeks to start.  I think there is a lot of guys who burn their spots out from too much early pressure. 

I hunt alot of different land. I bet I climb in a pre hung treestand 3 times all season. Otherwise this is how I make it work.

1. Summit viper if i know the trees will take it. Straight and branchless. 

2. Lone wolf stand and sticks in tough tree spots

3. The ghillie suit and some good wind. You can be on the ground and they can't see you.

I find in most of my time in the woods Its really hard to keep bucks relaxed with alot of human traffic and scent. I like minimal impact and really only go in the woods for sheds in March and to kill deer from October til feb.  We Set cameras on roads and check em on rainy days.

We have however set a shoothouse in October and killed a giant buck in November from it.  it snows in June once in a while, I wouldnt break out snow suits, but anything can happen.

20191116_112335.jpg

• Like 1

I’ve hunted from a ground blind only a handful of times. If however the conditions are right you can get lucky-ish like me! I set up a ground blind and decided to sit it the same day. Sprayed some buck bomb and had a bruiser come with 7 yards where I proceeded to whiff him about 4 - 5 years back. He was horny and trolling hard. Probably would have walked into a marching band if he smelt a doe in heat!!!

I lamented that whole story on here somewhere but can’t find it. Even have a trail cam pic seconds before I drove an arrow through his backstrap..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Kmartinson said:

I hunt alot of different land. I bet I climb in a pre hung treestand 3 times all season. Otherwise this is how I make it work.

1. Summit viper if i know the trees will take it. Straight and branchless. 

2. Lone wolf stand and sticks in tough tree spots

3. The ghillie suit and some good wind. You can be on the ground and they can't see you.

I find in most of my time in the woods Its really hard to keep bucks relaxed with alot of human traffic and scent. I like minimal impact and really only go in the woods for sheds in March and to kill deer from October til feb.  We Set cameras on roads and check em on rainy days.

We have however set a shoothouse in October and killed a giant buck in November from it.  it snows in June once in a while, I wouldnt break out snow suits, but anything can happen.

20191116_112335.jpg

I will be hunting very similar to you. I got a saddle this year and i am not prepping anything,which is really nice. I plan to sit only once in a spot,and scout my way in until i find sign to good to pass up. By hunting public land i will spread out the pressure and not over hunt my private spots.

I also enjoy hunting from the ground,that gets the heart rate way up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

I will be hunting very similar to you. I got a saddle this year and i am not prepping anything,which is really nice. I plan to sit only once in a spot,and scout my way in until i find sign to good to pass up. By hunting public land i will spread out the pressure and not over hunt my private spots.

I also enjoy hunting from the ground,that gets the heart rate way up.

I also like the shot angles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

I’ve hunted from a ground blind only a handful of times. If however the conditions are right you can get lucky-ish like me! I set up a ground blind and decided to sit it the same day. Sprayed some buck bomb and had a bruiser come with 7 yards where I proceeded to whiff him about 4 - 5 years back. He was horny and trolling hard. Probably would have walked into a marching band if he smelt a doe in heat!!!

I lamented that whole story on here somewhere but can’t find it. Even have a trail cam pic seconds before I drove an arrow through his backstrap..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats why I shoot so much.... i want to make shots under 25yds a chip shot.

• Like 1