Apples,acorns,beech nuts,ect

Swamp_bucks

If you had a choice of what type of tree crop to hunt over which one would you and why? 

I have my best luck hunting over apples over any of the others.  My main reason is most of the public land and even growing up hunting my grandmother's it had more apple trees then anything else.  I don't think I've ever taken a deer on an acorn flat.  

I like to hunt apples early in the season,but i also have seen sign of deer eating acorns already. I have not been able to pinpoint them feeding on beechnuts,i am not sure where they fall on the preferred scale for deer.

Hunting on oaks can be difficult because we have quite a few of them all through the woods here,so deer could be just about anywhere.

• Like 1

I love the years the beech nuts cling to the trees late and drop late in the season. When it is freezing cold and beech nuts are sitting on the frozen ground or snow, you will see deer. I would say at least half of my nice bucks have come from two different stands of beech.

Early in the bow season it is tough to beat the oaks that are dropping acorns.

coonhunter- I've had a couple of years that we got a early snow that developed a crust. The beech nuts dropped and the wind blew then into  depressions and cradle knolls. I went out with a dust pan and a broom and got to lots  of them. And it was  years that did not have a lot of worms in the nuts. And ya, the deer were working them hard. Now we seem to get few years with good beech nut crops.

8 hours ago, coonhunter said:

Yes G-Man, last year was crazy with the acorns. The best bet was to find a couple white oak mixed in with a bunch of red oak. It's not always possible, but I have a couple spots with a lone white or two that I usually set my brother on in the early season.

I wish i could find some white oaks around here,nothing but reds...