30-06 or 308?

Skillet

1 minute ago, Foggy Mountain said:

.308 case, slightly smaller head. It’s actually a perfect round

Paul Mauser figured that out in 1893, except it was the 7x57  and required a standard ( long) bolt action...

W.H.M.Bell  shots hundreds of elephants with it along with  all kinds of other African game..

Ballistics in modern rifles  ( the mauser m1893 was limited to 45,000 PSI)  duplicate 7MM08 ballistics

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

You could hunt coastal grizzlies or polar bears with either a .308 or a 30-06 with well constructed 180-200 grain bullets and not be poorly armed..Admittedly, there are better choices,  but many of the biggest brown, Kodiak and polar bears bears shot prior to the mid 1960's were cleanly killed with the 30-06...The ,308 was not so midstream back in those days, but with heavy bullets would do the job also..

On a caribou hunt in NWT 50 miles south of the Arctic Circle, my Inuit guide showed me a video on his camcorder of his 11 year old son shooting a 10 foot polar bear with a .222 Rem...I talked to another friend who did a polar bear hunt up there..He was carrying a .375 H&H, which he killed his bear with, but his Inuit guide was " backing him up" with a 22-250....

Idk man that round doesn’t offer too many perfect bullet choices for that situation. I can’t think of any. Either they’re too frangible or wouldn’t mushroom correctly Id not think. I know guys have had dramatic results on deer. But a bear that big. Idk if I’d be comfortable being backed up with that. Now I don’t take shots I can’t make so backup is irrelevant but crazy story. 
Not that I’m disbelieving your story. I bet they use whatever gun they had. Many many years ago and prob yo this day some of the tribal people from my understanding were incorrectly equipped to take elephants but they went anyhow. 
I think I read somewhere and I’m not sure who it was but they were being shot with a .243. Behind the ear I think. 

2 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Idk man that round doesn’t offer too many perfect bullet choices for that situation. I can’t think of any. Either they’re too frangible or wouldn’t mushroom correctly Id not think. I know guys have had dramatic results on deer. But a bear that big. Idk if I’d be comfortable being backed up with that. Now I don’t take shots I can’t make so backup is irrelevant but crazy story. 
Not that I’m disbelieving your story. I bet they use whatever gun they had. Many many years ago and prob yo this day some of the tribal people from my understanding were incorrectly equipped to take elephants but they went anyhow. 
I think I read somewhere and I’m not sure who it was but they were being shot with a .243. Behind the ear I think. 

The guy that shot the polar bear did not know what the chambering  was of his guides rifle until AFTER he had shot his bear...

The bear in my guide's video  in NWT appeared to be at bay....he looked exhausted, possibly  from being chased for miles by snow machines... I do know that when that kid shot him with his .222 , he dropped like a rock...

7 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Hmmm you were typing same time as I. Was it Bell who used the .243 for elephant also? I believe it was him but I can’t remember for sure. When I get a chance I’ll look it up

The .243 was not introduced until the mid 1950s....Bell was   hunting about 50 years prior to that....

1 minute ago, Pygmy said:

The guy that shot the polar bear did not know what the chambering  was of his guides rifle until AFTER he had shot his bear...

The bear in my guide's video  in NWT appeared to be at bay....he looked exhausted, possibly  from being chased for miles by snow machines... I do know that when that kid shot him with his .222 , he dropped like a rock...

i heard a story i believe to be true of an individual who's uncle give him a 22mag so he could go "deer hunting" with the grown ups. he happened to see a deer and took a long shot. by nothing but chance it ended up being a headshot. guys came over in disbelief and wondering what the hell they do now.

6 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i heard a story i believe to be true of an individual who's uncle give him a 22mag so he could go "deer hunting" with the grown ups. he happened to see a deer and took a long shot. by nothing but chance it ended up being a headshot. guys came over in disbelief and wondering what the hell they do now.

As subsistence hunters, they can basically take the game any way they can...It is common practice to wait until a herd of caribou is crossing a river and then motor up in a boat and shoot them in the head and then drag them to shore...

I am  not criticizing...It is part of making a living up there..Get the most protien you can while it is available, because there there are only a few times per year when it IS readily available..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Can’t remember who it was. I believe Capstick wrote about it in one of his books. 
Don’t wanna hijack the thread but Capstick put out some amazing books. 
Sasha Seimel was an interesting character as well. 
Once I find out I’ll post it up

If you want to read real stories, and Capstick is entertaining as one can get but" borrowed" bits and pieces to turn a yarn, suggest starting with Ian Nyschens (pronounced 'nations') Months of the Sun (1000+ elephants), Jim Corbetts' 5 book set on man eaters in India, or even Buzz Charltons contemporary Tall Tales (He is a hoot, a more honest and genuine person to spend time with you cannot find). Don Heath has a few articles floating around the internet, both fun and informative, he was very involved in terminal ballistics on heavy game (cropped 2000+ elephant as head ranger, and huge fan of a 9.3x62 as an all around even with dangerous game, let small framed and young hunters take BIG bull elephant with a 30-06 with great result); Kai-Uwe Denker books are more serious on philosophy and the drive to hunt, but well written.

I Have a copy of Capsticks' Death in the Tall Grass laying about if someone wants some fun reading I'll pass along if I can find it......

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Can’t remember who it was. I believe Capstick wrote about it in one of his books. 
Don’t wanna hijack the thread but Capstick put out some amazing books. 
Sasha Seimel was an interesting character as well. 
Once I find out I’ll post it up

It was, I don't remember the round either.  But full agreement with everything you just said.

Ok I just checked and it was a 303 converted military rifle with a 10 round clip.

IMG_20200929_204947.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Hmmm you were typing same time as I. Was it Bell who used the .243 for elephant also? I believe it was him but I can’t remember for sure. When I get a chance I’ll look it up

Didn't he shoot elephants with the .275 Rigby which is the same as the 7MM Mauser?

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

Didn't he shoot elephants with the .275 Rigby which is the same as the 7MM Mauser?

Yup...He also shot hundreds of elephants with other chamberings too, including the .303 British and other contemporary chamberings such as the .318 WR.....

If you are going to buy one rifle for all around medium to big game hunting North America , you can never go wrong with the 30-06...

Choosing the walnut stock and blued finish  in a proven bolt action just makes it MORE special...

I LOVE you man.. << Tears trickle down Pygmy's ruddy little cheeks>>.......

• Haha 1

First let me say both the 06 and the 308 are excellent cartridges. What it comes down to is which one you prefer to shoot there is nothing the 308 can’t do that the 06 can. The exception may the 06 may handle heavy for caliber bullets better. A white tail shot at 200yds with 150gr for a 308 going at 2800ftps is not going to know the difference if it’s shot with the same 150gr bullet at 3000ftps out of a 06. it’s sill going to be dead you can’t make it deader.:jester: